Lt. Commander
# 11
05-14-2011, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philoso_Raptor
If your playing on Elite you dont have time to stand around figuring out which NPCs are doing what. You have to know that before going into the fight and target the healer first. In this case actual gameplay > immersion.
Giving away who the healer may be gives the game away on the other hand. Better to find it out yourself in my opinion, using the obvious clues of "Look that NPC is visible healing his allies" for one thing. Even on Elite.
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-14-2011, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynik
Giving away who the healer may be gives the game away on the other hand. Better to find it out yourself in my opinion, using the obvious clues of "Look that NPC is visible healing his allies" for one thing. Even on Elite.
Regardless of your personal opinion, the game is designed so you can see who the healer is. That is how the Devs intended it to be.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-14-2011, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekbaby9000 View Post
Regardless of your personal opinion, the game is designed so you can see who the healer is. That is how the Devs intended it to be.
Actually I don't believe it is. You are only assuming that based on the fact they named them. They could have named then for a dozen reasons. Simplest of which could be so that they knew which assests to place. You find me a dev quote that states as much as you claim otherwise your making an assumption that may be right or wrong.

Furhtermore for Foundry use, if you want to create an alien culture, you have no choice but to rename them. An alien Zarian (fictional alien species) who is actually a costumed mirror federation enemy group, that still says Mirror Commander Medic is so totally going to ruin the story of the mission. When it comes to the foundry immersion trumps a supposed gameplay mechanic every time. It's the inherent risk you take when choosing to play foundry missions.
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-14-2011, 03:32 PM
So, renaming Klingons is fine?

What if I do this type of renaming:
Medic => Engineer
Engineer => Security
Security => Medic
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-14-2011, 03:49 PM
This is only a serious issue with NPCs that have medics and engineers, which are pretty much Feds, Mirror Feds and Romulans, and possibly Cardassians. I suppose with Klingons it could be a problem not being able to identify the swordmasters. However, I believe the swordmaster occupies a specific rank in the Klingon NPC class, so labeling them is not as difficult as with Feds where the NPC class is completely random.

I'll say it again, just name your NPCs differently and make sure they don't all have the exact same appearance. It's not hard in itself to identify the medics, and may just serve as an added challenge. But, because the NPCs move around during combat and you can only target one NPC at once, if there is no way to distinguish between the NPCs then that would be more irritating.

The medics and engineers tend to announce their identities fairly frequently, but it still is nice to be able to say "the Warmaster is a medic" or "the Clown is an engineer".
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-14-2011, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
So, renaming Klingons is fine?

What if I do this type of renaming:
Medic => Engineer
Engineer => Security
Security => Medic
:p

Clearly you rename Klingons:
  • Swordmaster = Lord Insta-Gibber
  • Targ Handler = Ash Ketchum
  • Bekk = Redshirt by Another Name
  • Dahar Master = Lady Insta-Gibber.

Still surprised that so many have difficulty determining mob strength on Elite.