Lt. Commander
# 11
05-14-2011, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbarker1973
I hear ya, but i like some of that b moive stuff.
B movies are all well and good. But when I think B movie I think a campy movie that has to choose story and flavor over special effects budget. These movies clearly choose special effects and TnA over plot, substance, and anything else that requires more than 30 brain cells to enjoy.

A B movie is made by people who enjoy their craft with heart and soul. Movies like Battle: Los Angeles and Sky Line are designed to feed off of people's memories of a certain tragic event that took place in recent memory and their unwaivering support for the troops. It's not supposed to be a good movie, it's just a 90 minute CGI fest that pushes all the right buttons and pulls all the right stings but ultimately isn't a good movie, the writers just know how to keep you interested.
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-14-2011, 10:47 AM
So often star trek episodes often tend to take inspiration from real life what do you think would be really bad plot ideas mirroring today events?
I thought i list a few (Parody or just plain wrong)

The Mirror universe tales: Darker, gritter, sexier set in treks evil parallel universe what as a star ship captain join with Nausicaan pirates and Orion Syndicate trading slaves and raiding interstellar transports, for materials and tec in the Pi Canis sector of space. In order to finance a rebellion to free his people from the tyranny and slavery of an interspecies alliance.

Ferenginar and the great depression of 2230: Two Ferengi brothers try to prove that they have the lobes for business. In this rags to riches story set against the deuterium shortage of 2230 that has thrown Ferenginar into an intergalactic depression that leaves most of Ferengi Alliance in an economic slump. After several failed business scams one day a old transmission was intercepted in the em band from an unknown back water of a planet and new type of business venture was discovered. Join the the brothers as they betray, back stab, and undercut anyone who get in their way to the top. Watch, laugh and cry as they launch the first subspace television game show net work The Latinum Is Right.
Sorry i seemed to run off on a tangent
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-14-2011, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raso
B movies are all well and good. But when I think B movie I think a campy movie that has to choose story and flavor over special effects budget. These movies clearly choose special effects and TnA over plot, substance, and anything else that requires more than 30 brain cells to enjoy.

A B movie is made by people who enjoy their craft with heart and soul. Movies like Battle: Los Angeles and Sky Line are designed to feed off of people's memories of a certain tragic event that took place in recent memory and their unwavering support for the troops. It's not supposed to be a good movie, it's just a 90 minute CGI fest that pushes all the right buttons and pulls all the right stings but ultimately isn't a good movie, the writers just know how to keep you interested.
you have a point syline did not have much of a plot. but it was a on the level of robot jocks, and most of the syfy monster movie mash up. Show like snake head terror do little do spark the imagination. but there usually just fodder for the netflix que. Sometime a movie can be so bad it becomes a comedy aka Bruce Campbell army of darkness
Sometime however 30 brain cell moives can suprize you District 9 had some darker pokes at the more less pleasant aspects of humanity or even what it is to be human? OR can non humans obtain humanity?

Not really sure how you draw unwavering support for the troops out of skyline the military put up a less then 20 min fight
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-14-2011, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbarker1973
Not really sure how you draw unwavering support for the troops out of skyline the military put up a less then 20 min fight
Basically it's this new trend where sci-fi no longer takes place in the future, but rather next week with modern day LA or NYC being razzed by aliens with the proud, gallant and undefeatable American Military fending off the alien invasion (or in the case of skyline, what was it, true love or some crap like that but the troops put up a good fight).

You don't need to make a good story, just nod at 9/11 by leveling a major city in a dramatic way and show the troops doing their thing and you're golden. You just need to push the right buttons and people won't notice the lack of depth. We love the troops, thus, we love seeing them kick a$$. We also love seeing the bad guys get what they deserve when our Troops get hurt or they blow up a major feature of a city's sky line.

Now a days the bulk of sci-fi seems to be Average Joes with their Average Jane girl friends in Average situations using Facebook when suddenly aliens show up and start to level the town then black hawks and predator drones show up.

What happened to the brave scientist risking his life to disarm the alien DNA bomb? What happened to the gallant space smuggler with a heart of gold who get's caught up in a war between mankind and an alien threat? What happened to Aliens who have faces and names and an objective more complex then "kill humans and level major cities in a dramatic way"? What happened to Humans having lasers and space ships or at lease a freaking moon base or Martian colony?

It's like sci-fi has become more cynical. It's like some one said "You know what, we've had sci-fi, for, like, what? 80 years now? Why don't we have lasers and warp drive yet? Screw the future, let's just have guys with M16s kill aliens and it'll take place next Thursday so people can relate to it. Besides, we're all know mankind will destroy itself in the next 10 years anyway, we'll NEVER have a moon base!"

That's me beef with modern sci-fi, it's lost it's way. It's lost it's vision. It's no longer a vision of the future where man kind has over come the problems with interstellar travel or developed large floating space colonies.

It's a shame too, because Avatar did very well. I think Avatar got it right, it's how you introduce modern issues into a fantastic scenario while telling an awesome story in a fantastic setting. I remember reading an article that said that people left the movie feeling depressed because they wanted to visit Pandora and wanted to do all that fantastic stuff. That's a problem! To me that means that the average movie goes is too use to bland crap, we've forgotten how to dream and enjoy fantastic stories in fantastic places.

We need to start dreaming again and we science fiction has always played a big part in helping us dream.

Check the sig, it's as true today as it was when my man Issac first said it. With out the ability to envision an awesome tomorrow there's no reason to work towards it.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-14-2011, 12:11 PM
Well Star Trek might be back in animated form at some point.

http://www.cinemablend.com/televisio...ned-31970.html

Now before all the Anti-JJ folks descend upon my I would like to point out that the Transformers Cartoon Orci and Kurtzman were involed in was better than the film they did so you might like it you never know.
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-14-2011, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartzilla2007 View Post

Now before all the Anti-JJ folks descend upon my I would like to point out that the Transformers Cartoon Orci and Kurtzman were involed in was better than the film they did so you might like it you never know.
I'm down with them making an animated trek series. You CAN do a mature cartoon that welcomes younger viewers and also appeals to a mature audience (huge anime fan, I've seen it done, I know it's possible).

I've sen western cartoons do it before. I remember Batman: The Animated Series and the newer Justice League cartoons (the recent ones from Cartoon Network). Not a show for 9 year olds but for crying out loud, not everything needs to be marketed towards tweens and not every cartoon is for younger kids (*cough*cough*Simpsons*cough*cough*).

The problem, again, is while they COULD put effort into it and make it something awesome.... well it's cheaper not to and most people won't notice the difference anyway so why bother.

Yep! I've got loads of faith in modern cinema and TV! Does it show?
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-14-2011, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartzilla2007 View Post

Only if the producers of Futurama are in charge. :p