Lt. Commander
# 21
05-16-2011, 02:41 PM
Yehaw!

I just got hit by "can't read it" 1 Star.

Won't namecall though, but I just wrote a Ticket... let's see what happens.
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-16-2011, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
The STAR TREK® ONLINE TERMS OF USE state that you have to follow the STAR TREK® ONLINE RULES OF CONDUCT while in game. And according to those rules of conduct, the Atari Community Rules and Policies also apply in game.

This means that "I'm 1 Staring your mission because you don't speak English!" falls under:

Hate Speech – 20 points
You may not create posts and/or private messages that allude to, contain language, comments, references, links, symbols, terms and/or imagery about and/or promote and/or otherwise support, in any manner whether directly or indirectly, hatred, discrimination and/or denigrations based on or related to race, ethnicity, religion, sect, color, national origin, age, gender, familial status, sexual orientation, disability status, veteran status, genetic information, etc.

So yeah. According to their own rules the GMs can give players in-game infractions, remove their Foundry access or even ban them from the game entirely for this.
My problem with this kind of reasoning is that if atari decided to close language specic forums. Taking this into account it is very plausible that they did not bother to translate the terms of use either.
Its just a presumption though, I never once played STO/read the forum/wrote in the f. in any other language than english...
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-16-2011, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patarival View Post
To be fair, even a ridiculous amount of Borg would let me give a 1 star rating. I drop a mission and not rate it if I don't like it - that's why I rarely give a lower score than 3 stars.

I often don't understand why there is so much hate going on. Aren't we all Star Trek fans?
Why does someone give a 1 star rating to a mission that is clearly a good mission - indicated by more than 90% 4 and 5 star ratings. Could it be envy?
its hard to tell. some people do it out of spite, or because they find trolling peoples work fun, or maybe envy.

on the flip side, some people brains are just wired differently. what 90% of people like, they hate. its just their personal opinion but you will never find everybody likes the same thing. maybe they hated the dialogue, the enemy group, the combat, or what ever. maybe their standards are higher than others. it happens.

some other people have pointed out that some missions that are horrible get 5 stars for a similar reasons. the good news is enough people play it these odd reviews get weeded out. if you see a mission with 600 - 5 stars and 10 - 1 starts you know its more than likely a 5 start misison. the low scores might be annoying but they dont detract from the overall score. im sure many of those 5 stars are probably not deserved either.
Lt. Commander
# 24
05-16-2011, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
some other people have pointed out that some missions that are horrible get 5 stars for a similar reasons. the good news is enough people play it these odd reviews get weeded out. if you see a mission with 600 - 5 stars and 10 - 1 starts you know its more than likely a 5 start misison. the low scores might be annoying but they dont detract from the overall score. im sure many of those 5 stars are probably not deserved either.
Depends what your motive is for reviewing. I am not a critic. I am an author. As such, I view doing other people's missions and rating them as a way to pat them on the back... to positively reinforce creativity. If you ever took a creative writing class you would know that this is how they tend operate - more cheer leading and less criticizing.

I could, if I wanted to, write critical reviews and help "police" the foundry. But I have no interest in doing that. There are plenty of others who fulfill that role here on the forums and in game. And there is nothing wrong with that... it is a necessary function. It does, however, surprise me how mean spirited other foundry authors can be. In fact, the first time I was overtly flamed in a review was from a rather prominent and prolific member of the community. To each his own.

I wouldn't mind doing more "workshop style" constructive feedback, however, the review process is just too simplistic. As we all know, there is not enough space to get into specifics and I would generally only provide such feedback if the author asked for it.
Lt. Commander
# 25
05-16-2011, 06:01 PM
Quote:
The @Global Name is shown by the person's review. Why wouldn't you REPORT someone who is doing this?

Perhaps then a GM and/or Mod could "explain" to the person that if they keep their silliness up they risk losing access to the Foundry.
I gave exactly that reason twice in tickets, when I saw that German and Spanish Klingon missions were almost all one-starred in a single day by two users with freakishly stupid names and freakishly stupid reviews.
(no englsihh no good) ??? stone age slang appeals to you??? - (this is an US server) ??? How so ???

I also made the "discrimination" point, as stated in the EULA. It was ignored. And I fully understand the GMs probably have more important things to do than following up on tickets complaining about a few bad unwarranted reviews.

It just shows: You have to live with the trolls. I will continue to write my own missions in German, until they introduce a dual language option, in which case I will translate the existing ones to English. (No reason to waste good Foundry slots... We only have ten each currently...)
Lt. Commander
# 26
05-17-2011, 03:26 AM
Leirus, I fully agree with your statement. So will I.