Lt. Commander
# 1 My new pet peeve...
05-18-2011, 09:49 PM
Don't know about you guys, but I'm beginning to hate when people rate something and leave no comment. More when they rate 3 stars and lower...Doesn't really matter on 4 or 5 star i guess, but there is always something you could point out in a mission. My stance now I believe will be to just ignore those that rate low with no comment. I'd rather have like one reviewer said 'Just didn't enjoy it' with a 2 star. Better than 2 star and no comment. Hard to fix or modify something a player doesn't enjoy when you don't know...
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-19-2011, 01:59 AM
Honestly, I don't think it's realistic to expect EVERY person who rates a mission to leave a qualitative comment. It's a miracle that they leave the star rating when they play, tbh!

To answer your pet peeve with my own, however, I think what gets my goat is when people leave feedback that says "Great/Fun mission" with a 3 star. I think 3 is the default setting and they forget to change it.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-19-2011, 04:44 AM
I think that is in the eye of the beholder.
I consider 3 star average. Has everything a mission needs for some entertainment. Same as a good patrol or average Cryptic mission..
4 stars is for really good missions that do something outside of the established formula and have a more engaging story to them.
5 star is outstanding work, where there is absolutely nothing I could imagine improving it (sans bugs like the wall shooting thing) and which simply blow me away.
2 stars is for missions with a low patrol standard or serious story telling issues.
1 star for missions not working at all, exploits, etc.
So 3 star is not thaaaat bad.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-19-2011, 07:58 AM
I'd agree that 3 stars isn't bad and is in fact average. For me every mission I play starts at 3 stars (not just because it's the default). If something in the mission really captures my interest or really makes it fun then I raise the rating, if there are a lot of errors, no real story, etc the rating goes down. Although I would agree with the OP that at least some comment would be nice, but I would think 3 star ratings are ok and I would not resort to ignoring people who don't comment and rate low.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-19-2011, 11:08 AM
My favorite is the "Unfinishable" 1-Star rating. 200 people have already run it and rated it. Somehow they managed to finish it and actually like it. Obviously there must be a bug or something the player missed that everybody else seemed fortunate enough to find. If you can't play it, don't rate it. Common sense suggests that if it was rated previously, it must have worked and there is now something that the author is unaware of, bugging the mission. The author would not intentionally make hs mission unfinishable. Of course, if it's the first time it's been played or there are other complaints by reviewers, that's another matter, but if you see a review that says "Unfinishable", why choose it in the first place
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-19-2011, 12:30 PM
Yeah, you're probably right about the 3 stars. It was the 2 star no comment that aggravated me. And yeah i know not every single person will leave a comment, don't expect them to. But a 2 or 1 star and no comment. Means there had to be something you didn't like or something didn't go right or confusing or whatever the case. Vent that thought into the comment box is all I'm saying.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-20-2011, 06:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.PFDennis
My favorite is the "Unfinishable" 1-Star rating. 200 people have already run it and rated it. Somehow they managed to finish it and actually like it. Obviously there must be a bug or something the player missed that everybody else seemed fortunate enough to find. If you can't play it, don't rate it. Common sense suggests that if it was rated previously, it must have worked and there is now something that the author is unaware of, bugging the mission. The author would not intentionally make hs mission unfinishable. Of course, if it's the first time it's been played or there are other complaints by reviewers, that's another matter, but if you see a review that says "Unfinishable", why choose it in the first place
Agreed. I have received the "Mission Broke" comment with a 1 star when prior to it, 10 people ran it and
liked it, then another 10 run it and get thru it. I don't know if there may be a signal issue with their machine or what.

I also agree with RogueEnterprise's comment. I have received quite a few comments of "Great mission" or "Excellent, loved it" with the 3 star rating. It may be that because it is the default, some are accidentally forgetting to change it if they truly felt it was an awesome mission. I've often wondered about that, but RE's thought makes the most sense regarding that.

Spawn of Medusa

Level:
Any level player (Approx 1 hour)

A new enemy, unlikely ally, and plenty of action in this start to my new series.
*Decent Ground Combat
*Decent Space Combat
*Dialogue Heavy storyline
*Fairly easy Trek trivia based puzzles for newer players
*Heavy objective interactive storyline.