Lt. Commander
title says it all.

are there any Missions intended for shuttles out by now?

personally i would like to see one who uses "The Vault" Map, with some modifications to the geometry, like thinner hallways for example... ?

...if not that, then are there ANY foundry shuttle missions at all by now?
i know there is no ability to force the player to use shuttles, but has someone tried it anyway?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-20-2011, 01:00 AM
I don't think we even have access to the assets from The Vault, and even if we did there would be no way to modify the hallways, short of just cramming them with junk. The Foundry just isn't that full featured right now. Also, balancing a mission for the shuttle is very difficult because we only have access to pre-made enemy groups, which are all balanced versus a Starship.

So at a minimum you in your solitary shuttle are either going to be taking on nine enemy fighters at once, one frigate and three fighters, or two frigates. Those are the weakest encounters and most of them are a bit too tough for a single shuttle. The opening torpedo strike from the nine fighters would probably destroy you immediately (at the very least it would on higher difficulties) and taking out the frigates in the other groups would be tough.

I suppose you could be playing a shuttle along side a battle that's happening between friendly and enemy forces, but you're not going to play anything but a minor role in that. And if you don't balance the forces just right you could end up in a situation where your side loses and there's simply nothing you can do about it.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-20-2011, 01:07 AM
As long as the Foundry doesn't allow us to make missions or mission maps "shuttle only", we will not be able to support such battles well.

There might be way to make it more playable and doable:

Generally, pick appropriate NPC groups and spread the actors beyond a 5-10 km radius from the first ship. I think the mob AI will cause you to pull the other NPCs of a group if you attack one of them, but they will take some time to get to you.

You can probably use Frigate and Fighter groups relatively safely this way. For "Full Teams" only, you might also try some Cruiser groups (but even if not, you will end up with some Cruisers or Battleships.)

It's far from ideal, of course.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-20-2011, 01:14 AM
I think there might be a way to make some decent shuttle missions, but they'd probably have to be light on combat. I just think the limitations so far are why we haven't seen many (any?) shuttle missions thus far. Once I finish the mission I'm working on (which is taking way longer than intended), I may try creating some test encounters to see how the shuttle fairs. Maybe it's not as bad as I'm thinking right now.

For what it's worth, I didn't find the Vault to be very much fun. I know a lot of people raved about it, but I thought being in a super weak shuttle with only a single BO and fighting Romulan fighters that constantly cloaked was more irritating than enjoyable. That experience may make me more pessimistic about the potential for shuttle missions than others.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-20-2011, 07:39 AM
couldn't you place the enemy shuttles far enough away from each other that you dont fight the whole mob at the same time?
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-20-2011, 10:30 AM
I'm actually working on a shuttle based mission right now but I havne't gotten to the point where I'm planning out any of the combat so I haven't done a whit of testing.

Also we only have one shuttlebay map so far and that is from trimble with debris floating around it.

The other thing that we lack to be able to make shuttle missions good is the ability to give more detailed instructions to actors even a "follow the PC and engage hostiles". If we had that we could have NPC shuttles assist with tougher mobs or groups.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-20-2011, 12:20 PM
Quote:
I think there might be a way to make some decent shuttle missions, but they'd probably have to be light on combat. I just think the limitations so far are why we haven't seen many (any?) shuttle missions thus far. Once I finish the mission I'm working on (which is taking way longer than intended), I may try creating some test encounters to see how the shuttle fairs. Maybe it's not as bad as I'm thinking right now.

For what it's worth, I didn't find the Vault to be very much fun. I know a lot of people raved about it, but I thought being in a super weak shuttle with only a single BO and fighting Romulan fighters that constantly cloaked was more irritating than enjoyable. That experience may make me more pessimistic about the potential for shuttle missions than others.
Scorpion Fighters are very unfun to fight. Especially because anti-cloak measures don't work on them. (Which is basically only Sensor Scan in the Vault).

Sela (?)'s ship is the same.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-20-2011, 03:56 PM
Shuttle-based DSEs (i.e. needing to maneuver through an asteroid field to repair/move a satellite).
Shuttle-based PvP (from combat to racing).

Oh wait, I thought you asked what we wish were in game.