Lt. Commander
# 11
05-19-2011, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeraphAntilles
"unlick" ???

Anyway that's an interesting work-around, but unfortunately it won't help me due to my mission structure.
"Unlock". Fixed the typo. Carry on.
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-19-2011, 06:24 PM
I'd ask the question of whether or not we really need to have players moving around sector space in parts of our foundry missions. It almost seems more beneficial to keep the player engaged in your story by cutting down on the travel time.

I can understand from an immersion aspect that warping from Sol to K-7 at the click of a button can seem a bit strange, but should immersion trump the gameplay of your mission?
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-19-2011, 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjc_foxtrot View Post
I'd ask the question of whether or not we really need to have players moving around sector space in parts of our foundry missions. It almost seems more beneficial to keep the player engaged in your story by cutting down on the travel time.

I can understand from an immersion aspect that warping from Sol to K-7 at the click of a button can seem a bit strange, but should immersion trump the gameplay of your mission?
It's inevitable in forums that whenever someone asks a question about missing or broken feature of a piece of software, then someone always seems to post an message in which they essentially say, "It's a feature, not a bug..." or, "Why would anyone want it to be like that?"

For instance I bought a Canon HD camcorder and posted on Apple's site, "Why don't these .mts movie files open when I double-click them?" This type of person responded saying, ".mts is an inferior format. Why would anyone ever want to natively open them, anyway?"

Look. I'm all for teleporting across the galaxy instantly, but this is not Stargate Online. OK? If you think the Foundry should be used to make Stargate missions, then OK, but personally I'm trying to make myself forget that SGU was mercilessly cancelled, and I don't need any further reminders...
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-20-2011, 02:48 AM
Check out this tutorial from NemesisChiken at StarbaseUGC: http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/sto...n-methodology/ It shows how to use multiple sectors within a mission. Used it myself for a 3 sector mission.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-20-2011, 04:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjc_foxtrot View Post

Agreed. I'd probably drop a mission that forced me to to travel through sector space multiple times and endure unnecessary load screens.

Fairly certain it worked the same way in the TV shows and movies. I don't remember watching the Enterprise warp through space for hours with Kirk saying "afk" and Spock declaring "bbl." :p
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-20-2011, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorrowedTune
Agreed. I'd probably drop a mission that forced me to to travel through sector space multiple times and endure unnecessary load screens.

Fairly certain it worked the same way in the TV shows and movies. I don't remember watching the Enterprise warp through space for hours with Kirk saying "afk" and Spock declaring "bbl." :p
So I guess you never did the Devidian missions then?
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-21-2011, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeraphAntilles
So I guess you never did the Devidian missions then?
Like "Spin the Wheel" where it makes you travel to Gonalda to talk to the researcher who is, apparently, incapable of using subspace communication? "Cold Case" is a better example... nothing kills the excitement of a "race" better than load screens and sector travel.

No, those are not my favorite Cryptic missions. Instead of adding anything to my game play, those episodes feel like they were artificially lengthened by forcing a time sink on the player. That's not good game design. If they felt the episode was too quick they should have added more content.
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-22-2011, 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorrowedTune
"Cold Case" is a better example... nothing kills the excitement of a "race" better than load screens and sector travel..
I agree.

The "look you're in your ship, having a non-story moment in Sector Space" is a buzzkill.
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-22-2011, 07:05 PM
I guess this is good and bad. This is exactly the information that I was looking for. I have been working on a sequel to my first Foundry mission. I wanted this one to take place in a couple of different systems, but I couldn't figure out how to go back to sector space after the first part. I thought that I was surely missing something. I figured that suddenly appearing in the next system would be considered an immersion killer. I can see the merits of both arguments about whether or not it's a good thing to go back to sector space.

The good: I'm not an idiot.

The bad: I scrapped everything after the first system trying to figure out how to get back to sector space.

Oh well. Now I know. Back to the drawing board!