Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
05-24-2011, 04:27 PM
Isn't a "professional" someone who makes their living at something? Does someone pay people to PVP?
Can I get an application for that job?
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-24-2011, 05:01 PM
I think a good idea would be having Q's for players who aren't on a premade team, forced pugging if you will....
or ranking system would be usefull as well. In the end pvp needs more modes, maps, and especially territory control, where resources are at stake would be fun.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-25-2011, 06:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyMac View Post
What is a "professional" PvPer? How are you going to rank each player?
One way this could be done is by rating the PVP players for wins and kills and separate players according to their scores, so PVP players can be matched with players who are more on their level. The rating system could be similar to how Battlefield and Call of Duty ladder the top ranked players, its earned through points, achievements and time.
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-25-2011, 07:45 AM
Professional? Are people getting paid for this? How do I get in on this bandwagon???

Seriously though, unless we want PvP to die we should not be thinking about breaking the queues apart even further. We simply do not have the population base any more. If there is growth in the future, perhaps, but certainly not now.

The only real change that needs to be made, as suggested in the past, is to have a ranking system, and to try to queue equally rated players, rather than the current mismatch we often see.

That said, sad as it is to say, you are just going to have to suck it up. Nobody starts PvP as a badass. We all go through, probably extended periods at the start, of getting pwned. It is only through practice and determination you will rise to the top, not by asking for a care-bear version.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-25-2011, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMyth7 View Post
One way this could be done is by rating the PVP players for wins and kills and separate players according to their scores, so PVP players can be matched with players who are more on their level. The rating system could be similar to how Battlefield and Call of Duty ladder the top ranked players, its earned through points, achievements and time.
A ranking system is something that I have suggested before. If you got some interesting ideas on that, I would suggest you follow the link in my signature and reply to that post. It might be a good idea to keep a thread alive with a lot of content to reach the (positive) attention of the community team.

(Or simply click here, in case you have signatures turned off: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho....php?p=3438364)
Lt. Commander
Players have a major flaw - they're human. Undoubtedly they will play claiming to play casually when in fact they have kitted out their ship to approximate the Death Star...
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-25-2011, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkfrontiers
Players have a major flaw - they're human. Undoubtedly they will play claiming to play casually when in fact they have kitted out their ship to approximate the Death Star...
I've found that gear is not that big of a deal.
After a while my Tac Officer did get fully equipped with high end gear, but before then I was getting kills with just green gear. And today I still get killed even fully equipped with high end gear.

Experiance and skill counts alot more that gear does.
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-25-2011, 11:58 AM
Well, in C&C3 Kane's Wrath, players are ranked by experience.

The system could take into account number of matches, damage dealt, damage healed, kills and deaths. But rather than giving you a rank/badge just to identify those players, it could automaticly assign you since the lobby's don't function the same way.

I think a PvP lobby like the one on Kane's Wrath would be great though, since you can see how experienced a player is, and decide wether or not to take them on, and to balance teamsin various matches people hosted.

I've often thought the idea of tossing everyone in together rather than seperating out the experienced from the casual was bad in theory, the reason I never suggested changing it myself is because there are so few people PvPing in comparisson that it may lengthen already quite long ques.
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-25-2011, 12:15 PM
Professional is perhaps the wrong term to use, rather hardcore. I'm personally somewhere between casual and hardcore.

I have to admit, I'd love to see premades and puggers get separate queues. Wanting to get a quick fun PvP match in and coming up against the likes of TSI or some other large PvP fleet just isn't enjoyable. Nothing like killing a PvP mood when you come up against premades and your weapons rarely penetrate their double/triple/quadruple buffed shields.

Worse still is that when you do somehow manage to get the ship down to 1% health, then it gets 2 Hazard emitters and an engineering team cast on it. Two seconds after you got it down to 1% health it's back up to 100% with full shields (I really wish I was joking).

So yeah, it even kills this long term PvPers desire to PvP... Which is sad since it's the only thing that's keeping me playing the game.
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-25-2011, 01:32 PM
Once leaderboards are implemented, they should somehow be tied in with queues. When there are enough extra people, the people with the greater ratings would be put in matches against others with greater ratings. It would be the same as it is now though, when there are too few people on. This system might also be able to make two pug teams facing each other be more equal, as in, if 2 people have great ratings, 4 have average ratings, and 4 have horrible ratings, both teams could get 1 person with great ratings, 2 with average, and 2 with horrible, instead of one team randomly getting a large number of good players, and the other getting the bad ones. Premades could also be put up against other premades.

I have no idea how this could be implemented, or if it would even be possible, but I like the idea.