Lt. Commander
# 11
05-26-2011, 11:15 AM
Back then, January 2011 or December 2010, I remember having no states/triggers and linear dialogs. All you could've done was hide several small Detail objects (e.g. rocks and flowers) and Contact NPC's inside other Detail objects to accomplish multiple-option dialogs but I don't see where that would give you any kind of branching really.

I was confused then, when you first introducing your mission, and I'm confused now since to me branching implies a tree of options and being able to hide and reveal nodes depending on states and we definitely couldn't do that before states/triggers and dialog trees were added.
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-26-2011, 11:18 AM
Basically it went like that:
A guy was standing next to a big crate. 1 guy was visible called Jack, the other 3 was hidden in the crate with names like "Jack: Ask about dark rock" or "Jack: Ask about metal debris". They all had different default dialogs.
So when you walked up to the guy you had these options:
- Talk to Jack
- Talk to Jack: Ask about metal debris
- Talk to Jack: Ask about dark rock

Or at the end you had to pick the correct material it went like:
- Talk to Ship: Beam down nikkel-vanadium rod
- Talk to Ship: Beam down tritanium-iron rod
- Talk to Ship: Beam down kelbonit-tungsten rod
I had 4 NPCs hidden in the machine called "Ship: Beam down nikkel-vanadium rod"...

You also had 2-3 different styles to talk to an NPCs. Diplomatic, Strong man, Con-man. Like
Talk to Engive: Please tell me more about the situation.
Talk to Engive: You are wasting my time!
Talk to Engive: I see your problem soo well, I come here to serve you!

As I said, it was pseudo, because you could go through all of them after one an other. I was unable to spawn out the NPC. Also there was no way to chain them together and build a dialog tree.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-26-2011, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendra37 View Post
As I said, it was pseudo, because you could go through all of them after one an other. I was unable to spawn out the NPC. Also there was no way to chain them together and build a dialog tree.
Ah. Pseudo, kind of like a Choose Your Own Adventure book. I guess I overlooked the concept since I was always looking for the "real" thing.

Hopefully, dialog-trees will soon return multiple SUCCESS flags and a mission could use this so we could have true branching! I'm still hopeful...
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-28-2011, 04:34 AM
Crossing my Fingures to LOP. Branching dialogue is good for breaking up Wall - O - Text for players or createing puzzels. but thats about it. The pop ups only have two triggers which limits things design wise and makes it more complicated in other ways. That Complete all tab is dieing to be tweeckt.