Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
I just spent 45 minutes in a dogfighting match and my hand is killing me.

From now on after 30 minutes I am going to go AFK or leave. Anything more than that is just ridiculous.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-27-2011, 07:45 AM
Only 45 mins?

Wimp.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-27-2011, 08:00 AM
45 minutes for a handful of points I could get in 20 minutes doing explore missions, no thanks. It would be fine if it was every once in awhile but we all know that end game PVP takes forever for almost no reward, bragging rights? Who cares?

Two healers can keep each other alive almost indefinitely, with other heals being thrown around you kill the same person 10-20 times before they die. What is the point?
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-27-2011, 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rarian_Rakista
45 minutes for a handful of points I could get in 20 minutes doing explore missions, no thanks. It would be fine if it was every once in awhile but we all know that end game PVP takes forever for almost no reward, bragging rights? Who cares?
It's actually challenging and requires skill, and of course, it's fun. (Not always these days though, i guess)
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-27-2011, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rarian_Rakista

Two healers can keep each other alive almost indefinitely, with other heals being thrown around you kill the same person 10-20 times before they die. What is the point?
For many PvPers, PvP isn't a way to get Emblems.

Since there is no other real purpose to PvP, no territory control, no leaderboards, no nothing, the entire fun is fighting each other. For those PVPers, 45+ minute Arena (or more likely) Capture & Hold is one of the best things that can happen to them. Just fight, no boring PvP Queue wait.

Clearly this causes a conflict with people that want to get the Emblems for completing the missions.
And it gets a conflict for people that want to "win" a match (as meaningless as it is), at least in CnHs.

The current system leaves a lot to be desired, but I don't think a timer is the solution. It helps only one party.

If there was some persistent motivation to win and complete matches, be it a player ranking system or match outcomes influencing territory control between the factions, there could be something in for all groups...
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-27-2011, 08:26 AM
45 minutes of spam, jam sensors and healing upon healing, 3x is not fun. It is s chore and realize I'm only talking about end game. PVP up until about level 40 is fine, reminds me of old school Earth and Beyond. At higher levels it becomes a battle of whose team is just going to give up first or how many people go AFK. When over half the matches you go in at 51 have people AFK, something is wrong. People don't go AFK hardly ever until end game, because it is fun short matches up until then.

There is no skill in the spam and the healing, there never was. All of the skill for PVP is at the lower levels when you have maybe 2-3 chances to kill someone before they kill you not 20-30 as you poop out dozens of NPC spam. It is just boring.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-27-2011, 08:35 AM
But I'm guessing pve requires ton of skill and a well planned build?
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-27-2011, 08:38 AM
I don't care about the emblems, gear is meh, I enjoy a mix of PVP and grouping for STP that is about it, however, the end game pvp is just way too involved for what it is. If we were talking about an open instance territory control or what not where there was always a PVP battle going on I could see going in there and playing for 45 minutes. If there was a tiered system, maybe I would play in the arena, but, when I have to stare at the same maps and do the same things for 51 levels with no tangible benefit besides the gameplay, the gameplay becomes more and more of a chore and less and less of a game. What I am getting at is that the gameplay does not scale well, at lower levels there is a real sense of danger and excitement. I'm just not seeing that at higher levels through the umpteen spam ships, mines, and what not. Instead of concentrating on another player I'm dealing with more and more PVE crap in my PVP. I don't like it. I have 10x more fun in a level 15 BOP or cruiser.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-27-2011, 08:41 AM
Not a major PVE person, I play this game for the PVP, the end game PVP bores me even though I win most of the time, it is that time investment that is simply not worth it to me.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-27-2011, 09:04 AM
It can be a bit much at times. Especially when I end up using up all my deuterium on hit & runs, if I don't have good teammates in my PUG to distract the enemy. Trying to conserve those doesn't go well with 45 minute PvP matches, no matter how enjoyable they are....or damaging to my hands as well. Carpal tunnel here I come....