Lt. Commander
# 11
05-29-2011, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakout View Post
Can you give an example or two of Abilities you really need? I have the toughest time with that. specifically science abilities. My main is an Eng I currently run with two sci boffs I switch out. 1 has sci team and tractor beam the other is sci team and transfer shield strength... neither pairing impresses me much. The variability is a lot higher here.
If I had to narrow the list down to 3, these are probably the bread & butter skills you might want to have access on every ship. These are all defensive ensign level skills. (higher level skills are very much dependent on what type of ship you fly and what kind of role you see for yourself.)

Emergency Power to Shields
2 Copies mean you have high shield resistance 100 % of the time. Significantly increases your lifetime. IT also restores shield disable procs, generally the worst subsystem disable you can experience.
Getting two of them is cost-prohibitive on many ships, as many only have 2 engineering slots.

Science Team
You can probably not actually fit this in on every ship, but it's really good to have, because it can help you deal with science debuffs (most importantly usually Scramble Sensors and Subnucleonic Beam.)

Hazard Emitters
The best hull heal you can get, and you can share it with friends that need the healing more urgently than you do.

Strong recommendations for:
  • Polarize Hull
  • Transfer Shield Strength
  • Tactical Team
  • Tractor Beam (something offense-oriented for a change)

Science overall has the most desirable low level tier skills IMO.
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-29-2011, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Can you give an example or two of Abilities you really need? I have the toughest time with that. specifically science abilities. My main is an Eng I currently run with two sci boffs I switch out. 1 has sci team and tractor beam the other is sci team and transfer shield strength... neither pairing impresses me much.
Polorize Hull (for Being tractored) and Sci Team (for when scrambled or Sub Nuc'ed)

Edit - Dang I type too slow
Lt. Commander
# 13 Wog
05-29-2011, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Thanks for the helpful encouragement. I am an old Starfleet Command player so the concept of brutal PVP is not new to me, plus I don't mind getting "whacked" alot while learning
hit us up .......
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-29-2011, 01:40 PM
If you're finding TSS to be underwhelming, try pairing it with a TacTeam when under fire. It'll give you a nice resistance bonus, as well as refilling the other shield facings that are being depleted so you're not overhealing and losing out.

Also keep in mind that it is heavily Aux dependent for both the heal and resistance value.