Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content
Login

Lt. Commander
I wasn't able to finish the remastered Doomsday. Not because of a bug, or glitch, or difficulty, but because by the end of the sequence where we capture the Targ, I was simply too bored to want to spend more time on it. The cutscenes to that point were just dull, expositional chatter that shattered the episode's momentum. The reason that such things worked for Trek, and for games like Mass Effect, is that there is actual visual acting involved, instead of spastic looping of emotes or just motionlessness, and even then they're usually worked in more smoothly.

Also, even in games where such acting is the focus, like Mass Effect, that filler dialogue and even primary cutscenes are skippable.

And then, there's running around to repair the ship, with the same old 'press F to keep playing' dullness as always. At that point, I wanted to just scuttle the damn thing and grab one of the other ships from the nearby base. That shouldn't have been too hard, since it apparently lacks sensors, communications arrays, and windows. I couldn't help facepalming at boarding and capturing a Klingon vessel in visual range of an outpost with multiple docked vessels.

At this point, I actively fear City on the Edge of Never getting remastered.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-29-2011, 11:37 AM
I have to agree that there were way too many cut scenes. Too much of a good thing. And I found myself watching all the hand motions instead of listening to the chatter.

On the second time through, you could skip some of the cut scenes, but apparently not all of them, which is frustrating.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-29-2011, 12:24 PM
I agree the cut scenes where daunting to say the least I kept wondering if i was watching something or playing a game it got confusing lol
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-29-2011, 12:46 PM
I found Burgess' cutscene to be a little needless, but everything else felt pretty much at home in the mission. The talk with B'vat was brief but got the point across, and the final cutscene where (SPOILER?)K'Valk sacrifices himself in vain to stop the Machine and regain his honor(/SPOILER) is probably the best cutscene in the game despite being sort of long.

Though I wouldn't have bothered posting if I didn't see your point to some degree. The Klingon captain was a great VO, but that could have been better accomplished as a scene with a dialog box just because of what it is, and the first part on the ground that you didn't get to would have been likewise. I do think they're being a little over-zealous with the cutscenes and hope they cut back a tad with City on the Edge of Never.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-29-2011, 12:48 PM
Some of the cutscenes can be skipped by pressing "Esc" but others aren't. For people like you or those of us who play the mission many times, it'd be nice to be able to skip *all* the cutscenes by pressing escape.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-29-2011, 09:46 PM
I also didn't care for the new Doomsday or P'Jem missions.

I did the P'Jem one first. I liked going to Vulcan to pick up the Ambassador, but why did I have to circle around for five minutes in my shuttle? For that matter, why did we need the scene in the shuttle at all? Why did we need the bit with the Ambassador being refused transit and all that? It was a waste of time, and did nothing to advance the plot. Also, the voice acting, especially on the Ambassador, was terrible (and as an actor myself, I feel qualified to judge on this point).

After that, it was more cutscenes. Cutscenes are not universally good. They're good for climactic scripted moments, but it's always preferable for the action to happen NATURALLY. We didn't need a scene of the Ambassador beaming in and changing, it was better the old way (though, I was glad to see him become a Klingon...).

The Doomsday mission started badly, and didn't get any better. We had the boarding of the Klingon ship, but I didn't use my own officers. After listening to a split personality Captain (one second she's practically in tears over the betrayal by her friend, the next she's practically frothing at the mouth about him burining in hell), we get to "repair" things by pressing F. Dull, dull dull.

Then the premise that they were using Breen devices (that the technology to circumvent was created for 50 years ago) to disable everything in the area, was weak. All this did was add a meaningless wrinkle to the mission.

After this, we return to space. The Klingon we don't care about has a cutscene devoted to him pointlessly committing suicide (wasn't the point of capturing the Bird of Prey so we could use its weapons to destroy the DD?). He's yammering away, and I'm saying, in Picard's bored voice, "Lock onto the shuttle and beam it back into it's bay." Of course, the crew doesn't listen. It was an obvious attempt to parallel Matt Decker's death, except that we actually cared about Decker. It didn't add anything to the mission except a momentum killing cutscene. The voicework was better, at least.

Finally, we get to the fight.

So I swing in to attack the DD, and am immediately blown away by the Klingon armada.
So I respawn, cloak and prepare an attack run. The second I decloak, the fleet kills me immediately (being in a tiny ship, I can't withstand that much firepower.)

This repeats several times with me saying to myself "why didn't I transfer back to my own ship?"

Finally it ends, and I blow up as the DD explosion does enough to destroy me even though I was undamaged. Joy, how what a fun way to finish the mission.

All in all, VERY underwhelmed.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-30-2011, 01:54 AM
all cutscenes should be skipbable if possible, and there was too much hand animations in the cutscenes but other than that i loved them.