Lt. Commander
# 11
05-24-2011, 08:31 PM
I'd be fine with it.
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-29-2011, 12:58 AM
I think there is plenty of material for the Federation players to munch on. When you add in trying to complete all the accolades, there is litterally MONTHS of continuous playtime. I would be willing to see the Federation take a back seat for a while so that the KDF and the soon to come Romulan Factions can be brought up to par with the Federation.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-29-2011, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilCell View Post
and the soon to come Romulan Factions can be brought up to par with the Federation.
This should be the scariest scariest most terrifying aspect of this discussion.

I know a lot of players are tired of the Klingon Content Debate. I get that.

But setting that aside. And looking at the current work done by the design team. (Some of it is freakin amazing). And then looking at the decisions being made to implement such work.

This should make anyone interested in playing ANY other faction (Romulan, Cardassian, Ferengi, Typhon Pact, Mirror Universe Terrans, Dominion, Maquis, the Undine, or any other crazy faction idea I've seen posted on the forums in my time here) ... it should make you terrified of what would get done to that faction.

Let's take the Romulans. And apply it to the current I guess guidelines? Or protocols? For what they do with the KDF:

1- The KDF it has been stated doesn't have enough population to merit a lot of design time. Well, there's more people in the world who dress up like Klingons and speak this made up klingon language, than there are Romulan fans. So it's just a guess, but I bet the Romulan playerbase is smaller than the KDF playerbase. That means ... either the same level of being ignored. Or even LESS.

2- The KDF it has been stated is going to basically be given more content through faction neutral. That means the bulk of the Romulan content will be replaying stuff already in the game. The Klingons have 8 unique missions. The Romulans? I'd be shocked if they got up to 8 as well.

3- PVP. The current state of PVP is depressing. I really won't go into it much. But adding a third faction to PVP seems cool at first glance. But would only serve to underscore the problems the entire PVP system has right now.

4- Romulan ships! The federation has ships upon ships upon ships. They've got ship designs coming out of their ears. The KDF has a handful. The Romulans? Have even less!

5- Diplomacy. It's long been guessed, suggested, and somewhat assumed that the Romulan faction would get its own version of Fed diplomacy, but be espionage oriented. Alas, the work they've done on giving the KDF it's own version of non-combat advancement leads me to believe that the Romulans would launch without espionage. And not really get much work done towards that goal.

6- The races. It'd be smart of them to kind of wedge the Typhon Pact into the Romulan empire. But, as it stands there's three races for the Romulans, with maybe a couple of more available. That's Romulan. Reman. Alien. With maybe Iconians and Hirogen added in due to the stories taking place in the game itself.

I don't know. I really think anyone looking forward to a Romulan faction (or as stated above ANY other faction) needs to be very very very scared by the current state of the KDF and the way things have gone.

You might hate klingons, but if you want to play ANY other faction, you should seriously take a look at how this second faction has evolved. It's scary stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-30-2011, 10:26 AM
KDF definitely needs more content. The Federation side 3/4 more content then the KDF and going 4 month without something new would not hurt us a bit, they need it more then we do.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-31-2011, 08:50 AM
As a Fed player, I have not tried KDF toon yet.
I would be very much interested in it, for the change of pace, however, the lack of content is turning me off.

That said, at this time I would vote NO - no Klingon content (flame shields up).

Reasons:
1.) [Objective]: Klingon player base around 12%, making the investment in KDF will bring very less for the game revenue. That in my eyes equals to less content in the future.
2.) [Objective]: Given the current awful state of KDF faction, it would take 1 year of no other than KDF content to reach comparable levels with FED faction. Again, this would mean loosing players = less revenue = even less content in the future
3.) [Subjective]: I prefer FED story development, and still want to remain FED player primarily. Doing the same grind for 1 year without new content...that's not what I pay for.

I think the way the devs have chosen - content available to both factions - is the right way for the moment. Given there are few more feature episode series, hopefully there will be enough story material to lessen the grind torture of KDF players.

Bugfixing + new KDF fluff, thats of course a different story and my NO is not covering this aspect.
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-31-2011, 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voniatko View Post
I would be very much interested in it, for the change of pace, however, the lack of content is turning me off.

That said, at this time I would vote NO - no Klingon content (flame shields up).

Reasons:
1.) [Objective]: Klingon player base around 12%, making the investment in KDF will bring very less for the game revenue. That in my eyes equals to less content in the future.
2.) [Objective]: Given the current awful state of KDF faction, it would take 1 year of no other than KDF content to reach comparable levels with FED faction. Again, this would mean loosing players = less revenue = even less content in the future
3.) [Subjective]: I prefer FED story development, and still want to remain FED player primarily. Doing the same grind for 1 year without new content...that's not what I pay for.

I think the way the devs have chosen - content available to both factions - is the right way for the moment. Given there are few more feature episode series, hopefully there will be enough story material to lessen the grind torture of KDF players.

Bugfixing + new KDF fluff, thats of course a different story and my NO is not covering this aspect.
1- the Klingon playerbase is more than 12%. The stat is skewed. So many fed players ALSO have klingon characters. Which they might actually PLAY if the development team made more content for the side to level with.

2- Your estimate is way way off. It would take a good solid 3 months to get the KDF up to speed. All you have to do is klingonize Lt. Commander, Commander and Captain levels. That's it. Everything at Lt. levels is already there and fast. Everything from Admiral to end-game is there and usable. The gap is in the middle. And it'd just take some tweaks to content that already exists. Klingons aren't asking for complete equality to fed content. They're asking for the ability to level from start to finish. That's parity. And that's less content than your second point suggests.

3- If you have any alts, you already do the same content grind. And right now, it seems all you're paying for is RERUNS and REMASTERS. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahah.
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-31-2011, 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor_Forthright View Post
I'd be fine with it.
Get this man a Bloodwine!
Like a Klingon, he's not one who smalltalks, he states what he wants simply!
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-01-2011, 12:08 AM
Quote:

Reasons:

1. The player base is is low in part because there is not much in the way of PvE material and unique features for the KDF. Like you said, you are not playing KDF for that very reason.
2. Changing focus from Fed to KDF would have minimal impact on whether players will come and go or not. Adding more material may bring players back who let their accounts expire, but people who were not going to stick around anyhow will still leave new material or not.
3. Between PvE, PvP, and the accolades there should easily be enough materials for one character to be played for at least a year. When you make a new character, the whole process starts over again.

In short, saying no new material for the KDF simply because of a small player base is self-defeating. It creates a negative feed-back such that the KDF would never recieve new material, and would never attract enough players to justify more materials based on player base.

I would point out that right now, material taken from a Fed view is then looked at as to how it could be incorperated into the KDF. It might be an interesting change to start from the KDF view, and then consider how those features would be incorperated into the Federation. Coming at the game from a different starting point could yeild dividends because of that difference of perspective.
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-01-2011, 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
6- The races. It'd be smart of them to kind of wedge the Typhon Pact into the Romulan empire. But, as it stands there's three races for the Romulans, with maybe a couple of more available. That's Romulan. Reman. Alien. With maybe Iconians and Hirogen added in due to the stories taking place in the game itself.
I remember playing a very early Star Trek game... StarTrek: TNG – A final Unity.
I recalled that as the Enterprise I had to speak to aliens who were flying in a Warbird like the Romulans …
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST:TNG-A Final Unity wiki
While on routine patrol of the Romulan neutral zone, the Enterprise intercepts a distress signal from the crew of a Garidian scout ship, seeking asylum in Federation space. After a brief confrontation with the commander of a Garidian Warbird (similar in design to a Romulan D'deridex Warbird except white in color with a red starburst design on the nose)
Someone would have to check the game for their exact features, while they have vulcanoid features even Vulcans and Romulans look slightly different.
It might however be a fourth option for Romulans eventhough they might look similar.
Quote:

Maybe I am stupid… I probably am, but I really don’t get it…
You are interested in playing a KDF character, but don’t because of lack of content… While one line beyond that statement you say NO to more KDF content.

So the way that I read this is that you actually do not want to play a KDF character.
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-01-2011, 12:19 AM
Personally my reply is: "NO... The KDF should not get new content in their current state".

Now now.. Calm down... Hear me out.

In Star Trek, the klingons were a rather complicated race. At first glance you'd say that they were going around guns blazing, killing off whatever got in their way, conquering anything in their path.

That is also how they are in STO.

This is WRONG... VERY wrong.

The Klingons were a sophisticated species with a very destinct set of rules for where and when they were allowed to attack.

For Instance: When Quark threw himself at the mercy of a klingon, displaying a level of honesty saying "if you kill me it won't be honorable killing, but plain murder" (or somthing like that) during a duel to the death, and when the Klingon was about to kill him, the other klingons dishonored him for "trying to kill a pathetic ferengi i cold blood".

This displays that the KDF would, and should never allow the killing of defenceless people, even when that battle was agreed upon by both parties.

Another instance is when Worf leaves starfleet to fight in the Klingon civil war. During battle the klingons are fierce warriors who will fight to the death, never let themselves get captured (unless there are more battles for them to be faught), and they do so with a cunning and military strategy that outshines even that of the federation (as indicated by the "Yestodays Enterprise" where the KDF would have been close to defeating the federation, had the war from TOS continued).

This indicates a high level of intelligence when it comes to the art of war, and should in no way be disregarded.

We look to the old japan, and their samurai culture when comparing to the Klingons. Their ways were quite similar, and they as well had a very specific set of rules for when you are allowed to kill your opponent, and when you aren't.

Displaying the KDF as they are in STO is disregarding everything we know about them. STO represents the KDF as Thugs and raiders who care for nothing else than slaughtering their enemy.

No what I want for the KDF, is a complete suspension of that faction, a complete re-design of EVERYTHING, ships, weapons, models and missions, to better display what the klingons are all about.
In many ways the Klingons are the STO equivalent of Warcrafts (no... not World of ********... the REAL ********) Orcs: Seemingly rampaging annimals, but really a advanced culture.