Lt. Commander
# 101
06-01-2011, 01:15 PM
haha

pvp forums are allways the place of whine in most mmos.
Lt. Commander
# 102
06-01-2011, 01:38 PM
I wise old man once said:

"Ah, the sto pvp forums. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. Come, we must be cautious..."
Lt. Commander
# 103
06-01-2011, 07:59 PM
I thought this thread was going to be griping about SS -- that's actually broken because you can't reliably clear it from yourself. But aside from that, Sci spamming isn't awful.

The drain builds in particular aren't bad. Yes, they are becoming more common again, but disabling systems ought to be a viable tactic since it happened in canon constantly. It's easy to deal with, since you can use EPtX, a battery, two different engineer abilities, or just freaking adjust your power settings. It might be a little tough to deal with, but it's far from OP.

Anything becomes tough when a whole team does it, but the only Sci power which is out of whack is SS, and just fixing it so that ST always clears it might be enough.

((If you think about it, any of the team abilities firing off and healing an enemy ship makes no sense at all. Weapons misfiring are fine. Accidentally broadcasting power to an enemy ships structural field even might be explainable. But to beam a repair team to the enemy ship, through their shields, where they then proceed to repair the enemy ship, and the enemy just lets them mess around with their ships computer and shields, then lets them beam back, through their shields which have never dropped -- that's freaking ridiculous.))

((Even more absurd are those times when instead of fixing my scrambled sensors, my science team instead randomly beams over to an enemy mine, where they stay very still and try not to explode, until they are safely beamed back. You'd think that the first time scrambled sensors caused that to happen, someone might suggest using the turbolift instead of the transporters.))
Lt. Commander
# 104
06-01-2011, 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husanak View Post
Sci fleet should be around 20% resist tops fully speced. it is with out a doubt the most OP skill in this game including FAW and Panger torps.
Agreed, sci fleet is a ridiculous skill.
Lt. Commander
# 105
06-01-2011, 11:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husanak View Post
Sci fleet should be around 20% resist tops fully speced. it is with out a doubt the most OP skill in this game including FAW and Panger torps.
I must admit I was surprised it got skipped on the last shield nerf pass. 20% seems like decent number. But maybe lets scale it with aux.
Lt. Commander
# 106
06-01-2011, 11:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalnar
I must admit I was surprised it got skipped on the last shield nerf pass. 20% seems like decent number. But maybe lets scale it with aux.
Well as long as 20-25% is the max at full aux... the teams that roll that junk for 2/3 or 83% of the time if there cheezy enough to run 5 sci... well there all at full aux anyway mostly of course theres always aux bat then sci fleet every 3 min
Lt. Commander
# 107
06-02-2011, 04:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by inktomi19d View Post
I thought this thread was going to be griping about SS -- that's actually broken because you can't reliably clear it from yourself. But aside from that, Sci spamming isn't awful.
I still think instantly clearing debuffs with one skill makes that skill pretty useless. It's certainly the case with Jam Sensors. Less so with Scramble because it can affect multiple targets at once, but still...

For example, using Polarize Hull to counter a Tractor Beam is much more balanced, IMHO, because:
- you can only use Polarize Hull for yourself
- PH has to be running while a Tractor Beam is applied, meaning:
- if it runs out while the Tractor Beam is still active, the TB will affect you again
- the Tractor Beam will affect you until you can start PH, which means it will still stop you for a short time.

But countering ablities with Science Team is just awful, imho. An instant cure, from an ability that you don't even have to have yourself. Meh.
Lt. Commander
# 108
06-02-2011, 05:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrazol View Post
I still think instantly clearing debuffs with one skill makes that skill pretty useless. It's certainly the case with Jam Sensors. Less so with Scramble because it can affect multiple targets at once, but still...

For example, using Polarize Hull to counter a Tractor Beam is much more balanced, IMHO, because:
- you can only use Polarize Hull for yourself
- PH has to be running while a Tractor Beam is applied, meaning:
- if it runs out while the Tractor Beam is still active, the TB will affect you again
- the Tractor Beam will affect you until you can start PH, which means it will still stop you for a short time.

But countering ablities with Science Team is just awful, imho. An instant cure, from an ability that you don't even have to have yourself. Meh.
You're only likely to have one ST. Things will get past it a lot.

The current way is that *nothing* reliably clears SS, which is worse. It should have at least one reliable counter.

PH isn't the only thing that clears tractor beams -- APO does as well, and it's often possible to just muscle through it with a combination of Evasive Manuevers, EPtE, Engine Battery, Aux to Dampeners, or just running high power to engines. When I run my Excelsior-R I'm likely to be immune whenever APO or PH cool down, and I almost always have some movement buff up which is enough to power through those times when no immunity is available.

Tractor beams can be effectively countered by each type of BOff: Tactical uses APO, Science uses PH, and Engineering can just muscle through with EPtE and Aux to Dampeners. This means that any ship can counter tractors, usually while gaining some other benefit.

PH isn't the only thing that counters tractor beams, it's just the only thing most people bother using.

SS is broken because it's a CC that disables the one ability which removes it. That's stupid game design. Sometimes you can just target yourself and make ST work but very often it will randomly target something else. The only reliable counter is for someone else to cast ST on you.

It wouldn't be so bad if another ability removed SS, as long as something did it 100% of the time. The downside to using a counter like that is that you are then vulnerable until the ability cools down (or you carry multiple copies and give up other offense and defense).
Lt. Commander
# 109
06-02-2011, 08:09 AM
No! I like my 61% shield resistance SciFleet! :p
Lt. Commander
# 110
06-02-2011, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
That is exactly how it is now. A few weeks or months back, a temporary Stun immunity after a stun expired was added.

I am not positive if this change made it as well, but I think Aux2Dampeners can also be used to dispell stuns (e.g. being used while stunned).
If that was an intended addition to Aux2Damp, then the devs royally screwed up, because I'm not able to use it when stunned.