Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
06-02-2011, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
That depends on one's ideal. A lot of players just want to play the game without inflicting changes to it on others or having such inflicted on them; I don't see that being compatible with 'actual impact'.
So your against a passive bonus to whichever side happens to be winning in the territory control part of the game? Oh wells. I'm not out to convince anyone, I'm just sick of hearing about how we shouldn't ask for concepts and aspects of other games. You know how many WoW systems have been proposed? Even if they don't say they got the ideas from WoW, most likely WoW uses their idea in some form.

I don't neccessarily like playing "Star Trek Dress Up: Online" but here we are, and there it is. If I have to suffer with huge aliens wearing pink and lime green jump-suits, i think you can deal with a passive buff generated by the hard work of PvP'ers. At least a passive buff doesn't offend the senses

The best part is, you don't even have to do anything to earn that buff, at least in my version.
Lt. Commander
# 22
06-02-2011, 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavilier210 View Post
So your against a passive bonus to whichever side happens to be winning in the territory control part of the game?
Yes, actually, because it'll be yet another opportunity for Cryptic to screw up play balance. And I can't wait for the eventual whines from PvPers that the bonus should only be granted to them.
Lt. Commander
# 23
06-02-2011, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Yes, actually, because it'll be yet another opportunity for Cryptic to screw up play balance. And I can't wait for the eventual whines from PvPers that the bonus should only be granted to them.
Why dont you just ask for PvP to be taken completely out of the game? You seem more willing to complain about PvP then to add any positive critizism that would actually help with the discussion on how to improve PvP which the whole community can agree is suffering a slow death.
Lt. Commander
# 24
06-02-2011, 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance86
Why dont you just ask for PvP to be taken completely out of the game? You seem more willing to complain about PvP then to add any positive critizism that would actually help with the discussion on how to improve PvP which the whole community can agree is suffering a slow death.
Why would I? PvP doesn't affect me in the game right now. If it did, then I'd actually have a reason to request its removal.

Making PvP affect everyone's gameplay will just give the non-PvP majority a better reason to agitate against it.
Lt. Commander
# 25
06-02-2011, 07:38 PM
OP - some good ideas that I could get behind ... as long as the PvP game stays in it's "fight ring" and what happens in the ring stays in the ring, then I can support most any idea PvPers can come up with. The moment / inch / second that their idea effects anything outside that "fight ring" I am immediately against it.

How about I put it in other terms ... I used to like playing football when I was younger, but I don't want a football game going on in the middle of mainstreet or the interstate highway. And I definitely don't want the outcome of that football game to affect what I can do and where I can go or when I can go. I used to play softball in a league, but I don't want a softball game going on in the middle of the mall. Rock'em Sock'em Robots™ was a blast when I was younger, but I don't want a boxing match in the middle of my office. I do play with water hoses and squirt guns with the family, but I don't want to step outside my home to find myself in the middle of a water-gun fight and get soaked to the bone when I'm trying to go to work.

I realize that all of those "fights" or "contests" involve people that enjoy those sorts of competitions. But there's a reason for football stadiums, baseball stadiums, soccer fields and boxing rings. It's so you keep the competition in a single area and don't affect the innocents or the crowds or the other people that just don't want "to play your game."

Now, what's your idea for alleviating the ganking exploitation possibilities in a territory control area? Limit the instance to one rank each? Or full on no-holds barred all's fair in love and war and just let the exploitation ruin the environment for the casual PvPers, like me?
Lt. Commander
# 26
06-03-2011, 01:49 AM
Quote:
When did this ever happen? as if I would care if PvE got easier because of some territory control bonus.

In the end I think the goal has to be to have one sector block that allows Open PvP, Territory Control, Ship Boarding, whatever.

What goes on in this sector block would be for this sector block only (aside maybe for opportunities to acquire gear in the block that can be used outside). If there are bonuses to be gained, they apply in that block, nowhere else. Featured missions don't happen there.

PvE content might not have a role at all in it, but maybe it has, in form of STF or Fleet Actions and Exploration - but these are then PvE only activities available within the sector or in an adjoining sector block. It influences the PvP territory control game, but it doesn't require you to do PvP to do the mission itself. (But it might have required PvP to enable access to the mission.)

I think this is a system that will work in Startrek Online and has nothing EVE like about it.

I definitely do not think that "permanent" losses in form of ships or bridge officers should be part of such a system. It doesn't fit he rest of the game, and the game is hardly balacned around the idea that people can avoid dying entirely, and changing that is a task better reserved for Startrek Online 2.

An attempt to allow something like using PvE to regulate PvP "gankers" is bound for failure in STO and doesn't work with how the game has developed so far. It would alienate lots of players with questionable benefit for the game as a whole. (And just to be clear - not just the "Fedbear PvEer" people here are unfortunately quick to insult, it would alienate me. I don't want any PvP when I am on my route to a Featured Mission, regardless of whether a tough NPC patrol starts attacking the lone Pvp that tries it. I just don't want it then. When I want to PvP -and I often want that - I'll go where PvP happens.)
Lt. Commander
# 27
06-03-2011, 02:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
What goes on in this sector block would be for this sector block only (aside maybe for opportunities to acquire gear in the block that can be used outside). If there are bonuses to be gained, they apply in that block, nowhere else. Featured missions don't happen there.
That's not the way Cavalier's question was posed.

I don't care if what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. Demands for PvP to have impact outside that is what I take issue with.
Lt. Commander
# 28
06-03-2011, 03:30 AM
Quote:
That's not the way Cavalier's question was posed.

I don't care if what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. Demands for PvP to have impact outside that is what I take issue with.
Than that is another topic I agree on. I don't think there is much left of the original suggestion that I would keep then, aside from the fundamental idea of having a Territory Control system.

I also wouldn't worry too much about this and similar suggestions. We can be happy if territory contorl or any new PvP content will be added at all, that Cryptic would dare alienate its PvE focused playerbase is doubtful. (And hey, they would even disappoint some PvPers, like me.) Cryptic is not SOE. :p
Lt. Commander
# 29
06-03-2011, 03:37 AM
Someone said something about rings and that the boxing stays there.

This game IS the arena. Games are the arena. Are there gangs who are killing you? call your fleetmates for help! They dont come cause they are wimps, change fleet. FFS what is wrong with having a realistic universe where anything could happen. I started played fed and i tell you i was REALLY dissapointed that i wasnt flying with the fear of a BoP decloaking behind me. Where is the danger in this game? where is the risk? I mean i am 34 i have played MMOs and PC games since i was 16 and i have an idea what i am talking about! What do you mean not affected by PvP. So if a fleet conquers a planet and gets exclusive resources for that planet and crafts items that nobody else can that doesnt affect other players? Hell ofcourse it does and i am up for it! Where is that superfleet that fight so well?? Sign me on! Have you people actually played MMOs before like Lineage II ?? Take a look at that games mechanics and then talk about MMOs...
Lt. Commander
# 30
06-03-2011, 04:21 AM
Quote:
Why would I? PvP doesn't affect me in the game right now. If it did, then I'd actually have a reason to request its removal.

Making PvP affect everyone's gameplay will just give the non-PvP majority a better reason to agitate against it.
READ THE POSTS!!! This would be optional exactly how pvp is now!!!