Lt. Commander
# 1 High Level Content options?
06-08-2011, 09:28 AM
Hello all,

I just reached UA3 on my Fed Engineer, and completed the "A Light In The Dark" Undine mission. From what I can tell based on the STO Wiki, that's the last available Story Mission in the game for me. Is that true? If so, that's very sad. Hard to believe the Story content doesn't take you to at least level 50.

Well, if its true, I'm trying to figure out how best to level up to VA, and have fun doing it. The options I'm aware of are:
Solo Play
Grind B'Tran daily missions
Grind Deferi daily missions
Grind lower level Patrol Missions (i.e., Gamma Orionis)
Replay Featured Episodes
Replay Remastered Episodes
Diplomacy Missions (do these reward Skill Points?)

Group Play
Special Task Forces
Fleet Actions
Am I missing any? I'm also curious to hear what the community finds the most fun doing to fill the gap between UA3 and VA?

I'm not in a rush at all (considering the current state of endgame)...just looking for entertaining content that continues to advance my captain.....thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-08-2011, 10:44 AM
Yeah, there is a pretty noticeable gap the few levels before VA. I know you are not in a hurry, but I would personally try to get to level cap sooner rather than later. Once you are there, then you can grind the dailies for emblems. You can grind dailies for marks right now, but marks will only get you Mark X equipment, and you will find yourself grinding again at level cap for the mark XI gear available for emblems. In other words, I would "save" your grinding for VA. Personally, I can tolerate only a certain amount of grinding before I just can't do it anymore.

Probably the most efficient way to level is to do the borg DSEs. They usually finish pretty quick. Don't know if the instance change still works or not (haven't done a DSE in ages as my last toon level capped last year), but that used to be a quick way to go from DSE to DSE quickly. You can also do the STF's which are fun with the right team, although these are not the quickest way to level. PVP can be fun too with the right team, but also not a real quick way to level.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-08-2011, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinumbar
I know you are not in a hurry, but I would personally try to get to level cap sooner rather than later. Once you are there, then you can grind the dailies for emblems. You can grind dailies for marks right now, but marks will only get you Mark X equipment, and you will find yourself grinding again at level cap for the mark XI gear available for emblems. In other words, I would "save" your grinding for VA. Personally, I can tolerate only a certain amount of grinding before I just can't do it anymore.
I hear you. I kind of expect some level of grind at a MMO level-cap....but not 4 levels before it. I'll quickly lose interest in the game if I do too many Explore or DSEs, so I'll probably mix in a FE replay or two. I'd like to try an STF, but it might be best to wait until I'm geared-out better.....and after Gozer updates them.....

Thanks for the advice!
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-08-2011, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelZombie View Post
I hear you. I kind of expect some level of grind at a MMO level-cap....but not 4 levels before it. I'll quickly lose interest in the game if I do too many Explore or DSEs, so I'll probably mix in a FE replay or two. I'd like to try an STF, but it might be best to wait until I'm geared-out better.....and after Gozer updates them.....

Thanks for the advice!
Well, you don't have to have UBER gear to do STFs. Green mark X items is enough for infected, and cure. Blue mark IX kits are fine too which you can get pretty easily at ESD. (If you have Klingon, you can buy those kits for EC from vendor). And really, it's more your team make up than your gear. Infected can be easily done with a properly geared out 4-man team. So with 5-man, UBER gear is not necessary. Plus, right now, there are plenty of people that know how to run the STFs, and can help you through it. When the changes come, I'm sure there will be a learning curve of sorts. Besides, the borg gear set is worth getting. Might as well get it now and save yourself from grinding for engines, shields, deflectors later on.

And once you've done the DSEs, you're pretty much done with them forever (unless you are an accolade hunter). I haven't gone into one in over 6 months. So do your DSEs to level. You won't be grinding those when you level cap.