Lt. Commander
# 1 Thoughts on a shield?
06-09-2011, 04:59 AM
So yeah i'm slowly gearing up my VA ships, and have decided to go for the assimilated console, deflector and engine for the hull and shield repair specials, but can anyone suggest a good shield array to compliment a cruiser at this level? I looked at the breen shield and the aegis, are there any better suggestions?
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-09-2011, 05:02 AM
Hmm...

You only left out the Borg shield. Also, I think someone said that a Covariant purple with CapX3 was good too.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-09-2011, 05:04 AM
perhaps rerun coliseum for the reman shield ?
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-09-2011, 05:10 AM
The best shield is the aegis Covariant shield.... there are others you could use like the prototype reman shield for its awesome style visuals, any convariant MK XI cap x2 or x3 would be good as well... (the aegis, prototype reman & covariant MK XI cap x2 can be easily acquired)

shield regen is pointless in this game since its too slow to recharge and your basic skills like science team or emergency power to shields have better regen potential so its not really worth looking at anything else other than Covariant....

Though it all comes down to personal preference there will be people who will say use regenerative or resistive.... there are no right or wrong answers, at the end of the day use what suits your playstyle !
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-09-2011, 05:38 AM
Also keep in mind that you ship type, captain skills, and consoles will modify your shield stats.

I forget the name of the console, but by itself will boost your shield cap by 35%. That console does not stack however. I run that console on my Dreadnaught. I also use the Covariant [Cap]x3 shield. For my setup...it gives me around 400 more shields for the small sacifice of 3 regen points over the Remen shields.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-09-2011, 06:14 AM
The Aegis Covariant Shield is probably your better bet. The Reman one gives a higher Cap but the Aegis bonuses to Shield Maintenance and Performance may give marginally better overall performance due to the effect on skills.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-09-2011, 06:39 AM
There have been discussions like this for many times, and the only conclusion is, there is a good shield for every situation. Figure out what abilities work well with your specific shield, find a balance between capacity and regeneration, prefering as much regeneration without letting yourself be killed because of too low capacity (Burst strikes and Sustained strikes)

If you manage not to get a gap in one of your shield sidings, the borg shield is the ultimate shield.

If you are lazy, and totally want to depend on abilities only to regenerate your shield (which will eventually fail with a good opponent) or you want to go in and out of battle all the time go with Covariant.

But any regeneration shield will eventually outperform a covariant by far in terms of hitpoints, and not to mention the shield power level gives you much more profit with a Regen shield.

No offense to anyone here who still believes the mother of all gods Covariant types are best (aka more cap = better), I have been a long term Covariant user and I could see myself fail continuously with making full use of my available shield healing abilities, as soon as i tried a normal shield array things went better, going to the borg made me...
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-09-2011, 07:55 AM
Umm....I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but shield regen is pointless to worry about until after a battle.

You want the most shields you can get preferably with some resist against the weapons that your foe predominantly uses. Then you could probably grab Tac Team to re-balance shields, Sci Team for the instant regen, Engy EPtS to provide some boost to shield power levels.

That +35% to shields engy console is a must have.

My 2 EC
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-09-2011, 08:04 AM
I have 2 Field Emitter consoles stacked as my engineering consoles, one MkXII at +7 power level, and a MkXI Uncommon at +6.5 for shield power, raises the shield power level 13 points, which equates into a regeneration boost of 54% plus the skills that I have maxed in shield performance.

End of the day, I run in attack mode with 85/50 shield power, providing a 240% regeneration rate for my Shield Array Mk XI [Cap x3].

This works really well with my weapons maxed at 125/100 as well.

I have found that covarient shields are good, but high capacity doesnt do well in a prolonged battle if your shields dont regenerate. Although, I admit that I havent tried the Aegis or any other covarients since being able to raise my shield power to those levels.

Resilient shields worked really well in the configuration, but needed a little more capacity.

Hmm, I wonder what a Regenerative Shield Array would be like with 240% regeneration?
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-09-2011, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marctraider View Post
There have been discussions like this for many times, and the only conclusion is, there is a good shield for every situation. Figure out what abilities work well with your specific shield, find a balance between capacity and regeneration, prefering as much regeneration without letting yourself be killed because of too low capacity (Burst strikes and Sustained strikes)

If you manage not to get a gap in one of your shield sidings, the borg shield is the ultimate shield.

If you are lazy, and totally want to depend on abilities only to regenerate your shield (which will eventually fail with a good opponent) or you want to go in and out of battle all the time go with Covariant.

But any regeneration shield will eventually outperform a covariant by far in terms of hitpoints, and not to mention the shield power level gives you much more profit with a Regen shield.

No offense to anyone here who still believes the mother of all gods Covariant types are best (aka more cap = better), I have been a long term Covariant user and I could see myself fail continuously with making full use of my available shield healing abilities, as soon as i tried a normal shield array things went better, going to the borg made me...
I agree, everyone kept telling me to stick with the Covariant X2 or X3 sheilds and for the longest time I did. What I was noticing was that while it took quite a bit to put a hit in the covariant, when the hole was there it took too long to bring the shields back up. Even once the battle was done it took a long time to recharge. So I started experimenting with the regen and resiliant sheilds and noticed that my SCI ships were much better at keeping sheilds in a protracted battle. Plus when it was time to move on to the next group of enemies the sheilds were charged again without having to wait.
As everyone is pointing out, there are pros and cons to all shields and you have to find the one that is best suited to the setup of your ship.