Lt. Commander
Hey Guys,

I tried hard to find a way to move the old thread here, but apparently there is nothing I can to to get the old info back (which sucks). So I'm starting the thread again, and hopefully it'll spark new discussion.

For those of you who don't know the Jupiter Class Dreadnought is a ship that is currently unplayable. It is one of the Federations Dreadnoughts and was actually in the game far before the Galaxy X Dreadnought.

Here are some images if you are not familiar with the ship:

http://www.stowiki.org/images/archiv...S._Victory.png

http://images.arianchen.de/sto/jupiter-class.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...2-03-50-25.jpg

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/1...readnought.jpg

After a LONG and arduous road; and the combined work of myself and a few other dedicated Jupiter fans, we were able to gain a response in Junes "Ask Cryptic" saying that the Jupiter and the Typhoon (another ship) were possibly going to be made playable around season 5.

Also during our time in limbo (when we knew not whether we would ever be able to play it) myself and a plethora of others came up with a possible ship build. This is the most popular one and by no means is representative of ALL the participants, nor is it my sole work; a group of us came up with it after much debating.

JUPITER CLASS DREADNOUGHT:
Tier 5 Cruiser (Rear Admiral Lower Half and up)

Jupiter Class Dreadnought:

The Jupiter Class Dreadnought is one of the largest ships from Federation design. It doesn't utilize the standard saucer sectionĖmain hull design that is common among Federation vessels and instead has a main hull with dual connecting pylons at the aft section on the top and bottom of the ship, which lead to the nacelles. The Jupiter is meant primarily for combat missions where brute force is needed but enough ships cannot be mustered to tend to the issue. The Jupiter Class Dreadnought has two small hanger bays to house support vessels to aid it in combat, because of this the Jupiter can launch small Peregrine fighters, as well as small shuttles to fix up damage that it may sustain or itís allies. It has tremendous hull strength and crew compliment and if necessary can be self sufficient for extended periods of time. Unfortunately due to itís size the Jupiter has a very poor turning rate and is typically slower than other vessels. To make up for the lack of maneuverability, the Jupiter has an automated point defense system of turrets on it's port and starboard sides. Those along with it's normal weapons truly allow the Jupiter to live up to it's title as "Dreadnought".

WEAPONRY:
Fore Weapon Slots: 3
Aft Weapon Slots: 3
Point Defense Turret (port): 2
Point Defense Turret (starboard): 2
May not equip cannons

BRIDGE OFFICER STATIONS:
Tactical: Lieutenant (1)
Engineering: Ensign (1), Lieutenant (1), Commander (1)
Science: Lieutenant Commander (1)

MODIFICATION SLOTS:
Tactical: 3
Engineering: 4
Science: 2

CREW SIZE:

IMPULSE SPEED:

TURNING RATE:

ABILITIES;
Launch Support Wing:
-Summons a wing of 6 leveled Peregrine fighters to aid the Jupiter in combat.
OR
-Summons a wing of 3 leveled Repair shuttles to fix the Jupiter or itís allies
This ability is usable once every 2 minutes and you may only have one wing launched at a time.

+5 Power to all Subsystems

+30% Hull Strength

Point Defense System:
The Jupiter Class Dreadnought, (in order to make up for itís lack of mobility) has four automated turrets mounted on itís sides (two on each). These turrets fire independently from the main weapon system and do not need to be controlled by the ships crew. The turrets are used mainly as a defensive measure and do not inflict serious harm to larger vessels, they do however protect the Jupiter from large torpedoes and smaller more agile craft.

Emergency Maneuvering Thrusters:
The Jupiter, (when necessary) can allocate power to their emergency maneuvering thrusters in order to come about more quickly. This power may be used once every 2 minutes and it increases the Jupiterís turn rate by 3 to a total of 6 for 20 seconds. This ability puts a large drain on the auxiliary power levels and it takes some time for the power to be restored. NOTE: This power does not increase the Jupiterís speed, just the turning rate.

Well that's it for now, any questions or comments?

Quiiliitiila
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-12-2011, 04:28 AM
you know, i wouldnt mind these in game. think of how fun it would be to blow them up!
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-12-2011, 05:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
you know, i wouldnt mind these in game. think of how fun it would be to blow them up!
Well that's a unique take on it :^D
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-12-2011, 05:23 AM
Here is the quote from the June "Ask Cryptic" in which it is answered that the Jupiter and the Typhoon are on the table to be made playable in late 2011.

Quote:
Q: Quiiliitiila In April's Ask Cryptic you commented on the possibility of playable Jupiter and Typhoon ships. Is this possibility even on the radar or is it a VERY long term goal?
A: These ships are possibilities during Season 5, but not likely to happen before then.
Yup :^D Been waiting a LOOOONG time to hear that!
Quiiliitiila
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-12-2011, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiiliitiila

WEAPONRY:
May not equip cannons

BRIDGE OFFICER STATIONS:

MODIFICATION SLOTS:

CREW SIZE:

IMPULSE SPEED:

TURNING RATE:

ABILITIES;
Launch Support Wing:
OR
This ability is usable once every 2 minutes and you may only have one wing launched at a time.

+30% Hull Strength

Point Defense System:
The Jupiter Class Dreadnought, (in order to make up for itís lack of mobility) has four automated turrets mounted on itís sides (two on each). These turrets fire independently from the main weapon system and do not need to be controlled by the ships crew. The turrets are used mainly as a defensive measure and do not inflict serious harm to larger vessels, they do however protect the Jupiter from large torpedoes and smaller more agile craft.

The Jupiter, (when necessary) can allocate power to their emergency maneuvering thrusters in order to come about more quickly. This power may be used once every 2 minutes and it increases the Jupiterís turn rate by 3 to a total of 6 for 20 seconds. This ability puts a large drain on the auxiliary power levels and it takes some time for the power to be restored. NOTE: This power does not increase the Jupiterís speed, just the turning rate.

Well that's it for now, any questions or comments?

Quiiliitiila
I say, wait till season 5/6 when Tier 6 ships and Fleet Admiral ranks become much more of a possibility, and then simply bump it up to 4 slots fore and aft. besides that everything seems to be in order. I also think that the fighters/repair shuttle should be able to return any survive an encounter, as to avoid constantly spending money on new units.
Well thems my thoughts,
Good luck!
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-12-2011, 05:06 PM
Quote:
snip

snip

WEAPONRY:
May not equip cannons
I think just go 4/4 and drop the defense turret. normal turrets would be fine.

Quote:
BRIDGE OFFICER STATIONS:
Just consider this for a carrier.

Tactical: Lieutenant Commander (1)
Engineering: Lieutenant (1), Lieutenant Commander (1)
Science: Lieutenant (1)
Universal: Lieutenant (1)

this will allow higher end cannon for phaser skills or even Attack pattern Omega. As the ship seems older more middle skills seems better, especially for a dreadnought.

Quote:
MODIFICATION SLOTS:
I would go 3 for each.

Quote:
IMPULSE SPEED:

TURNING RATE:
it should be slow, but I wouldn't go below 6 for the turn rate. Anything less and its a small starbase.

Quote:
ABILITIES;
Launch Support Wing:
OR

+30% Hull Strength

Point Defense System:

there seems to be too many specials. I'd suggest if its a regular carrier, treat it as such. However instead of the Point defense system, and maneuvering system, why not use the phaser turret ability. it was a special order item, that would be useful to you, and its fairly federation.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-17-2011, 06:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzy

I think just go 4/4 and drop the defense turret. normal turrets would be fine.

The problem with regular turrets would be the fact that they target what the player is shooting at, whereas the PDS turrets auto target a threat on whatever side they are on (180 on either side) without the player's control. That way the player need not have to switch targets in the middle of a fight to shoot smaller craft or large torpedoes.

I was thinking of increasing the maneuverability and dropping the EMT (emergency maneuvering thrusters) ability.

It's important to note the launch peregrine or repair shuttle ability is not like the carriers. The launches do not stack and act more like the Orion ships ability to summon a support wing.

Anyway, I'll be working at a camp that has no internet for about eight weeks and it'll be difficult for me to reply, be patient.

Thanks,
Quiiliitiila
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-17-2011, 09:39 AM
Quote:
The problem with regular turrets would be the fact that they target what the player is shooting at, whereas the PDS turrets auto target a threat on whatever side they are on (180 on either side) without the player's control. That way the player need not have to switch targets in the middle of a fight to shoot smaller craft or large torpedoes.

I was thinking of increasing the maneuverability and dropping the EMT (emergency maneuvering thrusters) ability.

It's important to note the launch peregrine or repair shuttle ability is not like the carriers. The launches do not stack and act more like the Orion ships ability to summon a support wing.

Anyway, I'll be working at a camp that has no internet for about eight weeks and it'll be difficult for me to reply, be patient.

Thanks,
Quiiliitiila
I think blitzy was meaning the regular point defense turrent. just 1, folks who pvp against me know I have one and they dont waste heavy torps against me, its useless.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-17-2011, 09:50 AM
I'm sad that all the in-game ones have been replaced with Galaxy-Xs. I respect people who only want ships from the shows, but this is twenty years later. New ship designs have been produced by now.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-17-2011, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone3 View Post
I'm sad that all the in-game ones have been replaced with Galaxy-Xs. I respect people who only want ships from the shows, but this is twenty years later. New ship designs have been produced by now.
There are still 2 in game in some missions (an undine one I think...) and others that appear in DSE in the area around DS9. I LOVE running into them, they are a blast to fight.

I agree, canon or not it is 20 years or so in the future. So that means it is 20 years past canon...

Quiiliitiila.