Lt. Commander
Hi all,

Just started messing with the foundry and i'm stuck.

At the end of my mission i beam down to a planet and i have to rescue a Captain ( contact ) and his crew ( npc group )

After i talk to the Captain i want to beam him and his crew off the planet. How do i do that ??

thanks
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-30-2011, 11:39 AM
That functionality is not available yet. I'd check out the tutorials on StarbaseUGC.com. They're very helpful.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-30-2011, 12:30 PM
I checked out the fun with triggers part 1 which talks about using an invisable wall and using that to make the crew beam out. But i'm not getting it . I tried putting it up infront of the crew members and then making it go from invisable to visable, but that didn't seem to do anything.

So if anyone knows what the workaround is i would appreciate it
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-31-2011, 01:45 AM
If it is your last objective, you could just say that you beam up together.
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildOrchid
Hi all,

Just started messing with the foundry and i'm stuck.

At the end of my mission i beam down to a planet and i have to rescue a Captain ( contact ) and his crew ( npc group )

After i talk to the Captain i want to beam him and his crew off the planet. How do i do that ??

thanks
Howdy fellow mission creators.

I kinda worked around the NPC beam out problem by making an excact copy of the map and deleting the NPC(s) from it. When your NPC needs to dissapear, transport to your copied map. You won't be able to see them beam out and you will get the famous loading screen. But you will be able to follow the story line you attended it to be.

I hope this will help you

Greetings from VandenHill
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-06-2011, 02:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandenHill
Howdy fellow mission creators.

I kinda worked around the NPC beam out problem by making an excact copy of the map and deleting the NPC(s) from it. When your NPC needs to dissapear, transport to your copied map. You won't be able to see them beam out and you will get the famous loading screen. But you will be able to follow the story line you attended it to be.

I hope this will help you

Greetings from VandenHill
I don't think that is a solution worth using. Adding a map transition for such an effect is a bit much in my opinion. Best solution I can see as mentioned already is to write the story as if you also beam out.

I've just added transporter pad to my Assimilated Initiation mission, updating it with another 25 minutes worth of play. The player needs to use the pad to beam to DS9. I wanted the storyline to go that on beaming out an earlier team, the Borg appear on the transporter pad in place of the away team.

These things can be added to the missions later. Something to keep in mind when creating missions. It can be easier later down the line to have some light content and simple objectives in place of where you later want something more complex. You know instead of trying to squeeze objectives into a storyline that is already complete.

An example is my mission to protect DS9 requires you to get close to the station for the transporting to be a success, due to some Borg anti-transporter device. Later, I will replace this with the requirement of approaching the station in your shuttle. I need to wait on Cryptic providing the ability to fly shuttles out of our shuttle bay first but it will be very easy to slot it into the current storyline.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-06-2011, 08:28 AM
As previously stated it is not possible to beam out a contact. Something that has been done a fair bit lately is careful placement of the npc and use of camera angles.

If you've ever noticed, whenever you "beam out" the camera always pans around to show you from the front. If you can design your map in such a way that you speak to the NPC in a certain spot (that will be "off-camera" when it pans around) you will not see them still standing there and make the assumption that they have beamed up with you.

It is a bit difficult to pull off, but possible.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-12-2011, 09:27 AM
I also have the same problem of beaming out NPC contact. So I make him a hologram transmit from a ship instead.