Lt. Commander
So I was looking in the C-Store and did buy extra ship slots for one of my captains. But I got to thinking, where is the relative value?

I *want* extra ships, I'll happily acquire every new ship released over the coming months. But the obstacle is having to respec every time I want to switch ships. I found it rather depressing so I think for now I'm going to pass on buying new slots.

How do many of you manage this? Do you literally buy a respec if you're going to go with a new ship for a few days? Respec back for a different ship for a few days more? And so on?

I've been a pretty avid C-Store customer in the past, I'm an LTS twice over who just hit his 400 days, and I have every intention of playing for months to come. But the respec obstacle is a big one and it means I won't be as quick to get newly released ships if they aren't in my spec tree.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-12-2011, 11:50 AM
If you have a ton of cash with nothing better to buy, then they are a great value.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-12-2011, 11:52 AM
I would like to respec each time but I consider the skilltree system to be completely defunct in its current form and just don't bother. For general pve gameplay there is no need unless you specifically want a certain thing. For STFs I do respec to suit things when I'm needed in sci ship say rather than whatever I like.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-12-2011, 12:22 PM
I your case I would just get extra character slots, so that you can have the character with the right points where it needs to be without respecting every time you want to switch ships.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-12-2011, 12:41 PM
Yeah I have six toons now, three of each type for each faction. Problem is, especially for KDF, that leveling is now a boring grind.

Ah well, Perhaps one day Cryptic would consider free respecs for x00 veterans or some form of saved toon spec that is permanent once the player has used a spec token. In the meantime I guess I'll rein back my eagerness to try new ships. I'm currently all in on vanity ships... poor judgement on my part.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-12-2011, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primus01 View Post
I your case I would just get extra character slots, so that you can have the character with the right points where it needs to be without respecting every time you want to switch ships.
This. If you want to fly a different ship, get the right captain class to go with it.

Each character should have only two ships; a T5 ship and a Delta Flyer.

If you have more than that... well, I thank you for your generous donations to Cryptic Studios.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-12-2011, 02:35 PM
My Sci VA has 21 ship slots currently...and will probably have a few more added for the upcoming additions to ships in game. I only respec her when I've settled on a particular ship that I want to use for a while.

I enjoy toying with the new designs to see how they look, how they fly and how they maneuver. I usually do this on my Sci VA because she also has an abundance of BO's (18 of 20 slots) and quite a lot of EC banked.

When I find a particular ship design that I like, then I try it with my TAC VA or my currently being level Engy.

I have an Engy LG that I use for KDF ships. She has quite a few slots as well as I toy with the new ship designs for KDF.

I probably do the same with the other factions as well.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-12-2011, 02:36 PM
went and got the 4 character slots for 425 points i couldn't let that pass ^^
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-12-2011, 02:46 PM
I'm not spending my 800 points until I see an Oberth interior that's as well made as the TOS Connie's. I want more ship, not more space to put half ships. I suppose to chuck in my last few chips I would get the character slots, but I've got 4, I don't need any more.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-12-2011, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny2581i View Post
went and got the 4 character slots for 425 points i couldn't let that pass ^^
yeah it comes out to like $1.25 a toon slot. I couldn't pass it up either. I'm sure the extra toons will come in handy next time there is a tribble pile and each of my toons can get a goodie bag.

You'll also get a one more ship slot when you hit 500 days so maybe that will help hold you over as well.