Lt. Commander
Thanks to FirstAngelus for the idea

The off-duty uniforms, various Emblems, and possibly even some ships don't have to be faction-specific.

For example, the Marauder Patrol Cruiser is an Orion Vessel. Giving the fact that the Orions Syndicate is a criminal organization, it wouldn't surprise me if they acquired and sold some of them to the Federation.
The Vulcan Science Vessel and the Andorian Vessel were probably also build by the respective governments and sold, and might have found (illegal) ways to end up on the other faction.

The Section 31 uniform doesn't have to be just Section 31, it's not like Section 31 is an official arm of the Federation or Starfleet and the uniform looks specifically like something "Starfleet"y. Some of the other "uniforms" like the Seven of Nine or Counselor Troi one also aren't "official" uniforms of Starfleet and could fit on non-Federation characters just as well.

I know that the costume system is a little messy and inflexible regarding the different factions, but on the other hand, adapting an existing uniform for use on another faction should be easier than creating one whole cloth (no pun intended). There is certainly some extra cost incurred, but it means that KDF only players and FED/KDF "mixed" players have more options to acquire items and use them on all characters.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-10-2011, 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
Thanks to FirstAngelus for the idea

The off-duty uniforms, various Emblems, and possibly even some ships don't have to be faction-specific.

For example, the Marauder Patrol Cruiser is an Orion Vessel. Giving the fact that the Orions Syndicate is a criminal organization, it wouldn't surprise me if they acquired and sold some of them to the Federation.
The Vulcan Science Vessel and the Andorian Vessel were probably also build by the respective governments and sold, and might have found (illegal) ways to end up on the other faction.

The Section 31 uniform doesn't have to be just Section 31, it's not like Section 31 is an official arm of the Federation or Starfleet and the uniform looks specifically like something "Starfleet"y. Some of the other "uniforms" like the Seven of Nine or Counselor Troi one also aren't "official" uniforms of Starfleet and could fit on non-Federation characters just as well.

I know that the costume system is a little messy and inflexible regarding the different factions, but on the other hand, adapting an existing uniform for use on another faction should be easier than creating one whole cloth (no pun intended). There is certainly some extra cost incurred, but it means that KDF only players and FED/KDF "mixed" players have more options to acquire items and use them on all characters.
I would agree with this, at least in part and in regard to costumes that are not inherently faction-specific.

Ships are a wholly different issue, in my opinion. I for one WOULD be very surprised if the Orions provided one of their "pirate" ships and a Starfleet officer were allowed to captain it. A Vulcan or Andorian vessel showing itself in Klingon territory would, in-character, be blown to atoms on sight unless it were a sanctioned diplomatic mission.

BUT, I could also see certain types of faction-agnostic items (space and ground) made available as well. And, for the most part, there aren't a lot of faction-specific (non-cosmetic) items in game anyway. Cross-faction trade does happen to some extent.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-10-2011, 11:26 AM
I agree that the "off-duty" uniforms should be faction agnostic. However, things like ships should be kept to their specific faction.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-11-2011, 11:52 PM
With a little tweaking, such as removing the Federation combadges, these outfits could be used by KDF characters:
Federation Costume Pack: Section 31
Federation Costume Pack: Counselor Troi
Off-Duty Costume Pack: Mercenary

And who says that all of the worlds that these races have settled are in Federation territory?
Playable Federation Rigelian
Playable Federation Caitian
Playable Federation Pakled
Playable Federation Tellarite
Playable Federation Ferengi

I also agree that ships should remain faction specific.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-12-2011, 12:52 AM
This sounds the most do-able idea for extra content for the Klinks ive seen so far )
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-12-2011, 01:31 PM
Well thanks for the tribute.

I... obviously... very much like the Idea and believe the "Faction agnostic" stuff is the main reason for the gaps between the factions and the bad mood of KDF players.

For the Uniforms... I still believe that EVERYTHING that isnt especially "FEDERATION" marked should be for both factions. The Mercenary stuff ESPECIALLY should be for both, it almost fits better on KDF side, but also, beside those Peregrine mentioned, the Bajoran and the mirror universe sets should be available on KDF. The "usual" Enterprise is debatable, but since its after all just a simple overoll it could be VERY fitting on any merc-ship.

Towards Species, it has been already said:
The Ferengie were OFTEN requestet to have playable versions on KDF side.

Pakleds.... well I wouldnt ask for them, I dont even like them, but they never fittet into the Federation at all. The way they were shown in the series they would much better fit in line with Nausican, they have a similar intellect.... or better said the same lack of it. Since it was established that you have to go through a prety hard thest to even get to starfeel academy, I cant imagine that a Pakled was passed that.

Caitians... well the only Canon caitian we ever saw didnt have a single line. I dont remember that it has been mentioned in TAS that they are Federation-members. And we saw several Federation-officers from species that are not federation members, Worf and Nog are just the most known examples. So... why no Caitians?

Well, about ships, I understand why that point is in qestion. The factions have diffrent ships to really have diffrent factions, not just diffrent looking ones. But we not talking about making EVERY ship available for both.
And that "differention" currently means that the federatoon has the double amout of ships.
Adding/making a few ships available for both still would leave the major part diffrent.
I, of course mentioned primary Andorian and Vulcan ships because they are addet to the faction that already has dozents.
The same logic aplies for the Orion and Nausican ships, of course, too, but they MAY shoud remain limited to KDF at last until enough other KDF ships are there...
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-12-2011, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
With a little tweaking, such as removing the Federation combadges, these outfits could be used by KDF characters:
Federation Costume Pack: Section 31
Federation Costume Pack: Counselor Troi
Off-Duty Costume Pack: Mercenary

And who says that all of the worlds that these races have settled are in Federation territory?
Playable Federation Rigelian
Playable Federation Caitian
Playable Federation Pakled
Playable Federation Tellarite
Playable Federation Ferengi

I also agree that ships should remain faction specific.
S31 uni is a starfleet uniform (for members os S31) not the empire
troi uni doesnt match the outfit of any cannon klingon or ally
mercenery uni i could get on board with, even though it looks too human

and the races, well ferengi sure (aslong as there is a profit) but federation allies? i know joined trill were made both but they are ment to be a bit independant, a BO exchange equivilant would be fine but come on how many Rigelians do you think want to fly a BoP into mars space and blast the hell out of a station.

I'll say both faction items are a good idea (i like my borg tribble, bit wierd my klingons can use it) weapons, armour, the red matter copasiter and consoles are all good things to have and its good they are not limeted to one faction, but cross faction fluff just because its that or nothing and it almost fits if you right a backstory... i'd rather not have it. that said with the alien species you can already have whatever you want as a species so why not let all the races on to the c-store for each faction