Lt. Commander
# 11
06-03-2011, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by devast8tor View Post
There are a couple of options I see after performing a quick forums search.

Are you by chance outside the US, if so, try setting the Launcher to use the nearest proxy server.

Check to make sure that gameclient.exe is set to run as Administrator.

Check C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios for a text file called errors. Do you see entries such as:

100724 22:42:02 32 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/Microsoft.VC80.CRT/Microsoft.VC80.CRT.manifest!

If so, try disabling your A/V autoprotect, or possibly try deleting those files. If you are using Panda Anti-Virus, it is known to cause game file corruption.

If that doesn't work, you can try: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...ight=hogg+file
I'm in the US, but I have tried using the US proxy before just in case it helped - no luck.
GameClient.exe was already set to administrator privileges.

I did a search in all folders and subfolders of the game directory and didn't find any files with the word "error" in the title.

I also just finished deleting and redownloading all of the files listed in the pcl.log (there was no force_verify.log). Crashed within five minutes with graphics settings at "Quality".
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-03-2011, 10:11 PM
Are you running any games that install nVidia PhysX crap? These craptacular nVidia infestations comes with any game with the nVidia, the way it's meant to be played crap on it. These install when you install the game but can cause issues with ATI hardware in some games, STO included. If you have any nVidia PhysX crap on your system, remove it and try running the game again. Rolling back to the 11.3's also is a good idea as these are the best available drivers for STO on ATI based hardware.
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-06-2011, 09:53 AM
Cheeseboat, I sent you a PM a few days ago with some questions. I've been looking into this crash over the last few days.

Though I forgot to ask something in the message. What anti-virus software are you running?
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-07-2011, 03:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticCliff
Cheeseboat, I sent you a PM a few days ago with some questions. I've been looking into this crash over the last few days.

Though I forgot to ask something in the message. What anti-virus software are you running?
I've replied to the PM. I'm using MS Security Essentials.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-07-2011, 05:08 AM
I experienced some crashes with my HD 6850 with the latest Catalyst (11.5 and 11.5b) when changing my AA-Settings to 4x or 8x (although i ran without any problems until i tried to change them).

I stepped back to 11.4 and experienced no problem since then.

Another reason i stepped back that with 11.5. my performance dropped with identical settings from around 50-60 to 35-40 fps in space and also about 10fps on ground.
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-07-2011, 02:28 PM
I just rolled back to 11.3 (which was a painful experience I'd prefer not to repeat) and didn't have any improvement.
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-10-2011, 03:07 PM
The problem has gotten worse since I messed with my drivers. The game was crashing even at the lowest graphics settings relatively often when I rolled back to 11.3, so I re-updated to 11.5 and had no improvement from the 11.3 drivers.

It's still somewhat playable, but I will often crash once or twice in a ground mission now. I still have not had a space crash since the one time I mentioned earlier in this thread.
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-10-2011, 04:53 PM
I've spent the last hour running Memtest 86. Completed two passes with no errors found.
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-12-2011, 11:18 PM
I've tried manually cleaning out ATI/AMD files and registry settings according to this guide: http://www.overclock.net/ati-drivers...-software.html
Reinstalled 11.5 drivers, set game to low settings and still crashes.