Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
06-11-2011, 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit View Post
how can they even be making it without CBS approval?
They're not making any money off of it, would seem to be the main reason i think.
Lt. Commander
# 22
06-12-2011, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker88 View Post
Yes, but that's why we have graphic options, no? :p If anything they could do a optional graphics patch (to save HDD space, ect), kind of what EvE online did a few years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr1983 View Post
They're not making any money off of it, would seem to be the main reason i think.
Yes, that's it. They arenKt taking profit from them and if CBS tried to shut down what is essentially harmless fan fiction for Trek they would get Star Trek: The Wrath of Trekkies to deal with. It would get real ugly eal quick. Don't bite the hand that stuffs your pockets with moolah
Lt. Commander
# 23
06-12-2011, 02:29 PM
Doesn't matter if they are making money or not. If CBS wanted to they could shut it down if they wanted to, but won't necessarily to it. In fact, if CBS really wanted to, they could shut down any fan fiction they wanted to.
Lt. Commander
# 24
06-12-2011, 05:24 PM
CBS doesn't want to deal with Fan fictions they deal with them only in STO, and STE is not property of CBS it is Property of STE's Team that's developing them. if CBS wanted to shut them down, they would get Nasty backlash by STO Fans and STE Fans, ST Fans in effect that ruins and damages CBS greatly in favors of Star Trek Terms by what Players wants. in doing so only they will lose CBS Support and love in the end, they come crashing down like bricks. and they'd get bad reviews, and flamed by Star Trek Fans, STO Fans, STE fans and CBS would't be giant company anymore and transfer Star Trek Licenses over to two MMOs, STE and STO, which in effect they'll make Fans want in STO possbile and for STE, which is Fan Fiction for any ships they'd love to see in STE possbile because they, the both STE and STO now has full Star Trek Licenses to do exactly what Players want to see in STO and STE in diffrent or same way etc.

get what i mean? i'm saying if Cryptic Studios gets FULL ST License, they can put in what Players want to see and play in. same thing applies to STE.
Lt. Commander
# 25
06-13-2011, 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superlink1 View Post
CBS doesn't want to deal with Fan fictions they deal with them only in STO, and STE is not property of CBS it is Property of STE's Team that's developing them. if CBS wanted to shut them down, they would get Nasty backlash by STO Fans and STE Fans, ST Fans in effect that ruins and damages CBS greatly in favors of Star Trek Terms by what Players wants. in doing so only they will lose CBS Support and love in the end, they come crashing down like bricks. and they'd get bad reviews, and flamed by Star Trek Fans, STO Fans, STE fans and CBS would't be giant company anymore and transfer Star Trek Licenses over to two MMOs, STE and STO, which in effect they'll make Fans want in STO possbile and for STE, which is Fan Fiction for any ships they'd love to see in STE possbile because they, the both STE and STO now has full Star Trek Licenses to do exactly what Players want to see in STO and STE in diffrent or same way etc.

get what i mean? i'm saying if Cryptic Studios gets FULL ST License, they can put in what Players want to see and play in. same thing applies to STE.
First of all, Star Trek: Excalibur is not going to be an MMO, Superlink. That's something that they've explicitly stated. Secondly, STE is a fan production - STO has been made for commerical use.

So long as STE does not ask for money - even donations - CBS isn't likely to shut them down, although they would be within their rights to do so. Just take Nintendo and Zelda fan games; in the past, they've come down quite hard to protect their IP. CBS just gives us a little bit of breathing space.
Lt. Commander
# 26
06-13-2011, 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zadama View Post
First of all, Star Trek: Excalibur is not going to be an MMO, Superlink. That's something that they've explicitly stated. Secondly, STE is a fan production - STO has been made for commerical use.

So long as STE does not ask for money - even donations - CBS isn't likely to shut them down, although they would be within their rights to do so. Just take Nintendo and Zelda fan games; in the past, they've come down quite hard to protect their IP. CBS just gives us a little bit of breathing space.
i did STATED tha STE is Fan Made. read my posts carefully.

well, do you see Fans of STE are asking for MMO, and STE is also Free for download when available. as well being available at their site when they put it up. i even have thought about helping them with their Site. it seems very poor layout and poor setup. lucky for them i'm also good web designer within my sites in weebly, webs. to name a few.
Lt. Commander
# 27
06-16-2011, 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superlink1 View Post
i even have thought about helping them with their Site. it seems very poor layout and poor setup. lucky for them i'm also good web designer within my sites in weebly, webs. to name a few.
Are you talking about this site having poor layout and poor setup versus your web design here? Seriously?

On a side note, any website should have proper spelling and grammar. I understand on a forum post it's common to capitalize incorrectly and so on, but this carries on into your old/current STOI site to the same degree.
Lt. Commander
# 28
06-16-2011, 12:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyrexianHero
Are you talking about this site having poor layout and poor setup versus your web design here? Seriously?

On a side note, any website should have proper spelling and grammar. I understand on a forum post it's common to capitalize incorrectly and so on, but this carries on into your old/current STOI site to the same degree.
i have good grammar, i just type this way since i tried out the old typewriter