Lt. Commander
# 11
06-17-2011, 09:41 AM
No allowance for taking what's already there and tweaking it then?

If it's just a little change of colours then give the gfx to me, I'll run a few filters over then then give them back.
You can then just do a drop down box that loads said changes for the user.

The whole UI changes on the fly already with the character select screen. Put that process into the options with a drop down and you're done, right?

Please tell me if that's too simplistic because I think that's quite a reasonable suggestion.
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-17-2011, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingSky
Unfortunately the way that the UI system works and how the UI skins are done, it isn't trivial to give an option to change the color of the UI since the colors are baked into the textures that make up the UI. While it is possible for us to add new skins, it takes a significant amount of effort to build a new UI skin.
Why bother with a new skin? Just overlap the existing texture with a new color or filter. You mean to say that the texture and color are all one file, i.e. baked together so you can't remove the color... you can COVER the existing texture/color with something else though.

If it is too much work, thats ok. Like the poster above said, toss us the file and we can try our hand at it to see if we can't help you. Sounds like the community could help you out in this case.
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebobkill View Post
Why bother with a new skin? Just overlap the existing texture with a new color or filter. You mean to say that the texture and color are all one file, i.e. baked together so you can't remove the color... you can COVER the existing texture/color with something else though.
What you are suggesting (at least with the way stuff works here) is a new skin. It sounds easy, but there are a lot of things to think about.

It's certainly possible to apply some kind of hue shift of filter, but it does take time, and we've already scheduled out the UI team's new features and bug fixes out for season 4 and a bit beyond, and we don't have a lot of free time to add the features to make this possible right now. I have some longer term plans to open up some allowances for user skinning, but that's still a ways off, and nothing is finalized or approved yet.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-17-2011, 11:53 AM
Lexeme,

Thanks for the post, it's nice that all aspects of the game are continually looked at for improvement. I think I can speak for the majority here when I say we appreciate every single effort you guys put into this game. This is not a criticism post from me.

We understand that it's not a click-fingers-and-it's-done issue, but surely can you just see the difficulty in seeing neutral/friendly ships against hostile ones? (My Issue)

The final part of the final Cloaked Intentions series is a point in fact when Sela's flagship appears.
Play that on the Klingon side if you haven't already and tell me you can target the enemy ship you want to straight away. Tell me you can see every single friendly ship at a glance and not target them on the flip side.

I have enormous difficulty in scenarios like that, so a few shades different from red and slightly orangey-red would be very helpful. Please change the orange for ship names to something more distinct.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-17-2011, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexeme
What you are suggesting (at least with the way stuff works here) is a new skin. It sounds easy, but there are a lot of things to think about.

It's certainly possible to apply some kind of hue shift of filter, but it does take time, and we've already scheduled out the UI team's new features and bug fixes out for season 4 and a bit beyond, and we don't have a lot of free time to add the features to make this possible right now. I have some longer term plans to open up some allowances for user skinning, but that's still a ways off, and nothing is finalized or approved yet.
Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry if I implied it was as easy as 1,2,3... I know there are other factors to consider. I do hope you will consider tossing us the file to play with so we could help cut out the legwork for you...only if the UI team would approve of course. You mentioned not having a lot of free time, at least we could help with graphic UI concepts for the UI team to consider at least.
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-17-2011, 03:57 PM
Mhh just let cryptic add the option to chance the UI color and we are all fine

Personally I get pain in my eyes from the red color at times, but that really depends on the background color (ie. in Sector space its much more hurting then when in normal space with a lighter nebula background)

But overall, the red UI is fine.
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-17-2011, 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingSky
Unfortunately the way that the UI system works and how the UI skins are done, it isn't trivial to give an option to change the color of the UI since the colors are baked into the textures that make up the UI. While it is possible for us to add new skins, it takes a significant amount of effort to build a new UI skin.
That doesn't explain the bug I got once where my KDF UI was BLUE after switching from my fed toon. Maybe it was server lag? Should have taken a UI Screen shot - wasn't thinking about it at the time.

In any case, you don't have time to mess with it now but I certainly see custom UI's in your future.
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-18-2011, 02:05 AM
This problem is THE main reason I can't play my KDF toon as much as I would love to. My eyes become too strained to see enemy units in pvp combat.
I recognize the hurdles of all this, but maybe making enemy units blue. That would be a tremendous help.
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-18-2011, 05:47 AM
Same as few people in here the only reason i don't play a klingon is i cant stand the red UI. The fed blue is a lot easier on the eye.
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-18-2011, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexeme

no worries long as you guys keep up the updates and info im happy atm, and glad to see you updating us here lex have not seen you on a post since i asked in the CO forums :p