Lt. Commander
# 41
06-18-2011, 08:48 PM
The best part is the MS Degree in Starfleet Organizational Science. In a tough economy every little bit helps.
Lt. Commander
# 42
06-18-2011, 08:51 PM
I'd love to see some assignments with only a chance for Critical Success or Critical Failure. For example, consider Spock repairing the Warp Core in WoK. Since he died, I suppose that is outside the scope of the DO system, but look at the likely outcomes. The ship would either have been destroyed or it was able to escape.

Maybe some day if the injury system gets another pass, we could see assignments that relate to repairing those injuries.

Another area I would like to see is short term assignments that offer buffs for your ships. Maybe the assignment time is ~30 minutes and it provides a ~30 minute passive buff. This might be something like a sensor diagnostic that would result in a bonus to cloaked ship detection or anomalies received from a scan.

It would be nice to start my play session by performing some assignments that will impact the session. If I plan to do a lot of combat, maybe I send the engineers and tacticals to ensure everything is in tip top shape and we get the maximum performance out of all our systems. This would naturally come at the expense of other missions they could be performing and would probably not result in monetary rewards. They are short duration assignments and are somewhat self limited by the management time and buff duration.
Lt. Commander
# 43
06-18-2011, 08:58 PM
Using Wrath of Khan as a further example:

Spock was Successful in completing his mission to Save the ship and crew, thereby resulting in a Critical Success. However, completing this mission, also resulted in his inevitable death, thereby ensuring a personal Failure.

Will the Duty Officer system be so complex, as to allow an assignment to be successfully completed, and still result in the loss of the officer who completed it?
Lt. Commander
# 44
06-18-2011, 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkthunder View Post
Using Wrath of Khan as a further example:

Spock was Successful in completing his mission to Save the ship and crew, thereby resulting in a Critical Success. However, completing this mission, also resulted in his inevitable death, thereby ensuring a personal Failure.

Will the Duty Officer system be so complex, as to allow an assignment to be successfully completed, and still result in the loss of the officer who completed it?
Yep, that possibility of losing a crew member even on a Success is listed as one of the possible outcomes for some of the missions.
Lt. Commander
# 45
06-18-2011, 09:02 PM
i have a few questions about this DOF system... how much of a grind is it going to be from first starting using it, to getting it "levelled" up so its useful ?

I have 7 max level characters so how much of a grind im i going to be facing on each of them to get any benefit out the system ? Im sure many other people remember the massive soul destroying grind it took for VA's to get all the diplomatic experience....

Also will this DOFF system only work when your in space or can you send your doffs away on missions while you are on ground at ESD ?
Lt. Commander
# 46
06-18-2011, 09:03 PM
[addendum to my above post that would not fit well in an edit]

The short term buff assignments I mentioned in the above post could be unlocked as you progress along a particular Commendation. Sort of like unlocking a technology in a strategy game. Once they are unlocked, they would always be available.

Performing the assignment would not contribute to further progression in the Commendation or provide much in the way of monetary rewards. They would give the benefit of an in game temporary buff (something along the lines of what the special item sets give). Part of their cost would be the opportunity cost of using that assignment slot for something that does not deliver a long term reward.

One of my original hopes for interiors and mini-games was adding this sort of functionality to the game. I believe the Duty Officer System is an as good, or better, home.
Lt. Commander
# 47
06-18-2011, 09:10 PM
Heretic, thank you so so much. This is absolutely awesome! I'll be devouring this all night!
Lt. Commander
# 48
06-18-2011, 10:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meehee View Post
i have a few questions about this DOF system... how much of a grind is it going to be from first starting using it, to getting it "levelled" up so its useful ?

I have 7 max level characters so how much of a grind im i going to be facing on each of them to get any benefit out the system ? Im sure many other people remember the massive soul destroying grind it took for VA's to get all the diplomatic experience....

Also will this DOFF system only work when your in space or can you send your doffs away on missions while you are on ground at ESD ?
I imagine it'll depend on what type of build you want.

Considering some DOffs will be incredibly rare, it may take a long time to acquire all the purple DOffs with traits that benefit your playstyle--even longer still should they release DOffs and assignments regularly (and it sounds much easier to add to).
Lt. Commander
# 49
06-18-2011, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the awesome posts and info on the upcoming Duty Officer System, Heretic! Very nice post-work reading, good sir, and I look forward to helping test the system on Tribble soon™!

I really like the idea of having a lot of 'micromanagement' if you want (which I plan on doing, heh), and I *love* the possibility of earning other factions' officers as rewards for the commendation categories.

I've also wanted to name a Senior Staff (other than the info I put into my officers' bios) for a while now, so I look forward to the day I can feed them with my doffs. (insert maniacal laughter here)

Again, thanks for the updates, and I look forward to more info (and the system itself, naturally). Good luck to you and the rest of the STO team!
Lt. Commander
# 50
06-18-2011, 10:07 PM
This is just awesome, period!! I could go without all the season 4 stuff currently on tribble if this could only be ready by tomorrow