Lt. Commander
# 1 An idea for the ARGO....
06-19-2011, 02:54 PM
After just watching Nemesis I was wondering if anyone else would be interested in having the Argo available in game?

I think it could be of use, especially for the missions where you are just running around scanning Decalithium or whatever its called. I think it would function simply as a mount, and maybe have an option to be able to scan from it so you didnt have to Dismount at every scan point.
It could also have some combat use as a bridge officer could maybe be assigned to the canon in the back, but it would be very specific situations where this would be used.

How would we get it to the surface you ask?

Well this comes to another idea, when it comes to the point where we need to go down to the surface we could be given a dialog box with two choices.
Choice 1: beam down as we currently do....
or
Choice 2: Be given the option to take a shuttle where we would then pick from one we have available to us, and we would have to pick the one with the ARGO in order to use it, so if we picked the Delta Flyer for example then it would not be available.

If we choose the shuttle then there will be a generic cut scene of it launching from the inside of the shuttle bay, that way there isn't a need to make a launch scene for ever ship combination possible because that would take up way to many resources and most ships shuttle bays are similar.

I know they are planning on hooking up our shuttle bays in the future but this would be an interesting use of it other than just switching to a shuttle just because you want to lol

Just an idea i thought of, sorry if it has been mentioned before.

Since I am posting, and i don't often post, I want to take the opportunity to thank the Dev's for all the hard work they have put into this game. They love what they do and it shows. There are still things that need to be ironed out but the direction it is headed I am very excited about.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-19-2011, 02:58 PM
I'd just like to come out and say that the ARGO is the worst, more illogical vehicle in science-fiction.

If it needs a shuttle for transport, why not ditch the ARGO and use the shuttle to move quickly between locations?
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-19-2011, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
I'd just like to come out and say that the ARGO is the worst, more illogical vehicle in science-fiction.

If it needs a shuttle for transport, why not ditch the ARGO and use the shuttle to move quickly between locations?
I just think it might be a fun novelty addition to the game, its not a must have and like Picard said its "Captains Perogative"
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-19-2011, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenjermin View Post
I just think it might be a fun novelty addition to the game, its not a must have and like Picard said its "Captains Perogative"
Feels to much like Halo to me.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-19-2011, 04:13 PM
Aside from the Romulan uniforms, there is absolutely nothing about Nemesis I find desirable for anything in-game...
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-19-2011, 04:15 PM
Yea I made a thread about it earlier. WANT
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-19-2011, 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor

Why does the military use ground vehicles, why not just fly everywhere in helicopters?
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-19-2011, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nileight View Post
Why does the military use ground vehicles, why not just fly everywhere in helicopters?
Because they don't have transporter beams, or shuttles and Starships to launch atmospheric or orbital bombardments.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-19-2011, 04:35 PM
I had a response that justified the existence of the Argo and the buggy, but I retract my statement. The Argo is just a sports car version of a regular transport shuttle. And the buggy was only there to amp up the action.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-19-2011, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nileight View Post
If you can't see how an actual helo differentiates from a shuttle in a fictional, futuristic setting, then I'm not sure there's much I can do for you.

Fuel costs are a factor. So are transporters. So's the fact one can fly cheaply, quickly, and easily--while the other can roll when it meets a very large rock. In real life, we don't have cheap helos.

In Star Trek, fuel is cheap and powerful. Having a shuttle whose sole design function is to carry a land vehicle to planets (and land vehicle that is likely to roll or get stuck--good luck with loading it back onto the shuttle, you'll need to wait for the ship to "beam" it onto the shuttle or back on-board for repairs).

The ARGO, in terms of STO"s tech, is wasted space. It's a logistics nightmare. It's just a bad idea.