Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
06-17-2011, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Actually, we had this discussion at the time and realized that Gozer and Heinig had it right: both missions took place after McCoy and Scotty were assigned to the Enterprise and just after the uniform change.
Not entirely true. 2265 was when the pilot episode, "Where no man has gone before", took place. They are using the old uniforms. You never see them wearing Starfleet uniforms of the norm TOS colors in that year.
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-17-2011, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuatela
Except that in almost every case with time travel, what happens in the past directly affects the future, no "alternate universe". The only case of "alternate universe" in canon trek was TNG "Parallels", which did not deal with time travel for the most part.

Examples of time travel:
TOS: "The Naked Time"
TOS: "Tomorrow is Yesterday"
TOS: "The City on the Edge of Forever" (you may remember the line "All that you know is gone...")

TNG: "Yesterday's Enterprise" (you may recall that as the Enterprise appeared, the timeline changed. When they sent the Enterprise back, the timeline was restored.)
TNG: "Firstborn"
TNG: "A Matter of Time"
TNG: "All Good Things"

DS9: "Past Tense 1/2"
DS9: "Trials and Tribblations"
DS9: "Little Green Men"
DS9: "Visionary"
DS9: "Wrongs Darker Than Death or Night"

Voy: "Future's End 1/2"
Voy: "Relativity" (you may recall that Janeway remembered various things that happened in the past)
Voy: "Endgame"
Voy: "Parallax" (not really time travel, but it did involve time displacement)

Ent: "Coldfront"
Ent: "Carpenter Street"
Ent: "Storm Front 1/2"
Ent: "Azati Prime"
Ent: "Shockwave 1/2"

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
Star Trek VII: Generations
Star Trek VIII: First Contact ("Sir, I'm reading 9 million life-forms... all Borg.")

Point being, in most of those cases, if they mention the timeline at all, it's the same timeline, not an alternate timeline.
every second spawns a new "alternate reality" because the choices we make our alternate made a different. Like I know in an alternate reality I went straight home after the ceremony I was in this morning instead of going to breakfast with my crew. Likewise in a different alternate reality I ate steak and eggs instead of blueberry pancakes!

These choices directly affect the future of that reality not mine perse. The time travel agency (forget the name) directs us to try not to interfere in the natural causes of history (as we know them) so as to not shift to one of these alternate realities.

Surely you saw what happened when cochrane decided to attack the Vulcan instead of welcoming with peace didn't you? This was a choice in action and not an influence from an outside source or time traveler.
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-17-2011, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragamite View Post
every second spawns a new "alternate reality" because the choices we make our alternate made a different. Like I know in an alternate reality I went straight home after the ceremony I was in this morning instead of going to breakfast with my crew. Likewise in a different alternate reality I ate steak and eggs instead of blueberry pancakes!

These choices directly affect the future of that reality not mine perse. The time travel agency (forget the name) directs us to try not to interfere in the natural causes of history (as we know them) so as to not shift to one of these alternate realities.

Surely you saw what happened when cochrane decided to attack the Vulcan instead of welcoming with peace didn't you? This was a choice in action and not an influence from an outside source or time traveler.
That wasn't the point of divergence for the Mirror Universe, though. The same two parter indicated that they diverged centuries before that except for Shakespeare.

Of course, maybe that wasn't just a slam at Shakespeare for being bloodthirsty. Maybe it was a nod to him being a Klingon.

Or maybe it did diverge with Cochrane and the Empire performed a massive propaganda campaign.

More than likely, though, most evidence would seem to point towards the Roman Empire never falling and/or the Nazis winning World War II.

My take for years has been that the Mirror Universe is a universe where someone saved Caesar and then spent centuries trying to guide things back on track but never could.

The one thing you can say with some certainty about the Mirror Universe is that the divergence happened on Earth and only spread as Earth's influence spread.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-17-2011, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry_Black_Man
Why are we making excuses for these obvious and easily-fixable mistakes? Also, Reuben James is a lame name for a Constitution Class. Sorry.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Reu...s_%28DD-245%29
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-21-2011, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint01
Doesn't change the fact it's lame for a Constitution class starship.