Originally Posted by CapnLogan
i put those engines on the b'rel
Uh... why?
Lt. Commander
# 92
06-21-2011, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
I don't remember exactly anymore... but I think it was because there was a complaint that some red impulse trails were coming out of there, but there wasn't a clear area that illustrated where the trail was emitting from, so I invented a location for them.

In retrospect this seems like a bad idea, since it conflicts with canon.
Lt. Commander
# 93
06-21-2011, 03:33 PM
Quoting the thread title:

FIX IT!
Lt. Commander
# 94
06-21-2011, 03:36 PM
I was reading some designer notes on this recently (just by chance) and it was stated the Prometheus is wrong on screen too - as someone in the VFX department apparently did their own thing when it came to adding where the engines should be (contradicting the original design).

I think for it to make sense (and for the trails not to clip through the upper warp nacelles) it possibly needs to be about where it is now.

For me it's really important things match the look and feel of the show generally, but I'm happy if it things look close and are generally reminiscent - given how truly diabolically awful the show was for consistency I'm surprised at the amount of concern of what's canon sometimes (even for a 'Trek game...). I'm more concerned about where there are holes in geometry (on ships and bridges in particular) than window placement at the moment, so it sounds like the priorities are right.

I do think not having customized parts during re-combination (after separation) on the Prometheus is pretty glaring though (I kept noticing it every time, so I've stopped using the module). This was especially irksome as it's a C-Store item. It's a shame as the mechanic works well other than that.
Lt. Commander
# 95
06-21-2011, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FridayUK View Post
I was reading some designer notes on this recently (just by chance) and it was stated the Prometheus is wrong on screen too - as someone in the VFX department apparently did their own thing when it came to adding where the engines should be (contradicting the original design).

I think for it to make sense (and for the trails not to clip through the upper warp nacelles) it possibly needs to be about where it is now.

For me it's really important things match the look and feel of the show generally, but I'm happy if it things look close and are generally reminiscent - given how truly diabolically awful the show was for consistency I'm surprised at the amount of concern of what's canon sometimes (even for a 'Trek game...). I'm more concerned about where there are holes in geometry (on ships and bridges in particular) than window placement at the moment, so it sounds like the priorities are right.

I do think not having customized parts during re-combination (after separation) on the Prometheus is pretty glaring though (I kept noticing it every time, so I've stopped using the module). This was especially irksome as it's a C-Store item. It's a shame as the mechanic works well other than that.
This is a pretty interesting thread about the Prometheus-class over on TrekBBS, Rick Sternbach gives some insights about the torpedo launchers and such: TrekBBS Prometheus-class.
Lt. Commander
# 96
06-21-2011, 03:53 PM
So if the design is getting fixed strait hull instead of the weird cut-of we have know... does that mean we get more crew since their is more hull on the ship again? :p yes I'm serious this is not a joke.
Lt. Commander
# 97
06-21-2011, 04:02 PM
Quote:
I don't remember exactly anymore... but I think it was because there was a complaint that some red impulse trails were coming out of there, but there wasn't a clear area that illustrated where the trail was emitting from, so I invented a location for them.

Hmm. I'd never seen any trails previously (well, other than the centre engine). Though the red/yellow wasn't there, I was perfectly fine with how it was before for the most part.
Lt. Commander
# 98
06-21-2011, 04:06 PM
Moving up to The Art of Star Trek Online.
Lt. Commander
# 99
06-21-2011, 04:10 PM
I read the posts on this thread...

... and all I hear is this.
Lt. Commander
# 100
06-21-2011, 04:47 PM
Quote:

Yar. The Bird of Prey ships had their impulse and warp engines clustered in the centre fantail. I can't remember which was yellow and which was red right now, though. I remember first noticing it years and years ago when I was putting together a model of it and had to paint the inside of the clear engine cover.

On topic, the Hephaestus' lower hull has some transparency issues with the bow fork. There are some other issues with them listed in the starship errors sticky, as well.

I haven't played my Prometheus type in a while, have you ever added some impulse exhausts to the beta and gamma hulls, yet? They don't have to be visible when the ship is whole; but when it splits, they could be nice and prominent. Insofar as relating to canon, the Prometheus was a prototype ship, like a modern experimental fighter jet. It would not be a stretch of the imagination that changes would be made for the production model.