Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
06-20-2011, 04:04 PM
I find it adds a lot more color complexity to the uniforms than you get with most of the others, many of which look pretty crude by comparison. You'd need about 8 color chips to get that level of color variation with a more literal system. You may be disappointed, but I find it to be the best looking set of uniforms in the game right now.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
06-20-2011, 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chookhlo View Post
I find it adds a lot more color complexity to the uniforms than you get with most of the others, many of which look pretty crude by comparison. You'd need about 8 color chips to get that level of color variation with a more literal system. You may be disappointed, but I find it to be the best looking set of uniforms in the game right now.
Why don't we get just more color slots instead of such a weird color confusion?
I would have been much happier, if some uniforms where just as plain and simple like the Bajoran and Canon uniforms.
But almost every Cryptic uniform looks overloaded, i have no idea what this is supposed to mean, do they really think that a uniform that looks like the grand canyon looks good?

I think they should focus on making KDF stuff it seems that they are really talented for that....
But all the Starfleet stuff they have designed, if it's uniforms, interiors, weapons or ships, looks awful IMHO.

Live long and prosper.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
06-21-2011, 01:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yreodred
Why don't we get just more color slots instead of such a weird color confusion?
I would have been much happier, if some uniforms where just as plain and simple like the Bajoran and Canon uniforms.
But almost every Cryptic uniform looks overloaded, i have no idea what this is supposed to mean, do they really think that a uniform that looks like the grand canyon looks good?

I think they should focus on making KDF stuff it seems that they are really talented for that....
But all the Starfleet stuff they have designed, if it's uniforms, interiors, weapons or ships, looks awful IMHO.

Live long and prosper.
HA? "looks like the grand canyon?" I suppose they could take it as a compliment that you think it reminds you of a national landmark renowned for its breathtaking beauty, but I think you're just being hyperbolic there. I'll admit I wasn't a big fan of the custom designs the game shipped with, but this was mostly due the monochrome candy-shaded application of colors (the designs themselves have grown on me). However, I really like how much more realistically varied the Jupiter uniforms look, particularly the diamond patterning on the shoulders of #5, and the beautifully subtle leather marbling on the main body of #3, which, along with the waxy and convincingly semi-stiff looking shoulder section makes that one my favorite.

I think its the same reason the Next Generation and Next Generation film uniforms are among the best of the cloth ones. The textures are realistically mottled and shaded rather than monochrome, lending them the realistic tonal variations found in actual material, without actually approaching photo-realism which would look awkwardly out of place in the game's visual style.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
06-21-2011, 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chookhlo View Post
HA? "looks like the grand canyon?" I suppose they could take it as a compliment that you think it reminds you of a national landmark renowned for its breathtaking beauty, but I think you're just being hyperbolic there.
I was just refering to all those unncessary lines and fragmentation that can be found on so many of cryptics uniforms, especially on the Veteran uniform it looks awful IMHO.
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/...uniform001.jpg

Even the so much praised Juptier uniforms feature them:
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/...niform0001.jpg
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/...niform0002.jpg


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chookhlo View Post
I'll admit I wasn't a big fan of the custom designs the game shipped with, but this was mostly due the monochrome candy-shaded application of colors (the designs themselves have grown on me). However, I really like how much more realistically varied the Jupiter uniforms look, particularly the diamond patterning on the shoulders of #5, and the beautifully subtle leather marbling on the main body of #3, which, along with the waxy and convincingly semi-stiff looking shoulder section makes that one my favorite.
There is just too much stuff on that uniforms for my taste.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chookhlo View Post
I think its the same reason the Next Generation and Next Generation film uniforms are among the best of the cloth ones. The textures are realistically mottled and shaded rather than monochrome, lending them the realistic tonal variations found in actual material, without actually approaching photo-realism which would look awkwardly out of place in the game's visual style.
I am not against good looking textures, but i don't like that strange segmentations and stupid color restrictions on especially the jupiter uniforms.

If you are intersted please, be free to take a look at what i don't like about the Jupiter 3 uniform.
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...42&postcount=9


Live long and prosper.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
06-21-2011, 05:37 PM
I rather like the lines on the uniform. It looks very militaryesque, without going into the flame war deciding whether or not the Federation is better as a peace keeping armada or a strategical defense. And from a fashion standpoint, the lines are supposed to be an indication of where protective padding is, kind of like motorcycle jackets. And given the war in all, that makes sense.

The first Jupiter variation, however, seems all over the place for me. The random paneling around the shoulders and sides make me a little disoriented, but that's just my perspective. All my toons wear the fourth variation, which is more streamlined to my tastes.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:43 AM.