Lt. Commander
# 11
06-24-2011, 03:32 PM
It comes to end.. It has been 7 years, I played back during beta phase 3 all the way up to last year 2010 where I took a break for star trek online.

R.I.P Jadolerr Iowl'ya

Bria

WRATH

Talus -Tharen
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-24-2011, 03:46 PM
And the Virtual TCG, despite being separate from the game, is being shut down as well.

Thus rendering worthless the thousands of dollars players poured into the game. All in the hope of finding a rare shiny in their boosters, while justifying it being as 'real' as printed cardboard.

Virtual items have no permanance and no worth. Access to them can be taken away by a whim - with NO legal recourse for the purchaser.

Important thing to consider, given Cryptic are heading into the TCG realm themselves with the Duty Officer boosters.
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-24-2011, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeathenStorm View Post
And the Virtual TCG, despite being separate from the game, is being shut down as well.

Thus rendering worthless the thousands of dollars players poured into the game. All in the hope of finding a rare shiny in their boosters, while justifying it being as 'real' as printed cardboard.

Virtual items have no permanance and no worth. Access to them can be taken away by a whim - with NO legal recourse for the purchaser.

Important thing to consider, given Cryptic are heading into the TCG realm themselves with the Duty Officer boosters.
Virtual items are simply temporary entertainment, just like going to the movies. You drop $10 or more to be entertained for only 2 hours at the movies, and afterwards all you have are memories. You dont actually "own" anything about it.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-24-2011, 03:58 PM
Still gotta pay money to get back into the game haha. Well, I guess that is good by to my characters then, I knew it couldn't last forever, but still did not except to see it happen. Is it to late to sell off stuff? Man what a waste of art assets. I suppose we will never see them again.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-24-2011, 04:05 PM
I will miss you Starsider. *salute*
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-24-2011, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
After 8 turbulent years, the time has finally come:

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/p...pic_id=1220357

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/06...wars-galaxies/

I dare say the end of an era for many.
I guess Lucas Arts revoked the license on or near SWG's anniversarry. I guess SWToR's live release must be close at hand.
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-24-2011, 04:08 PM
I still cant beleive they are so ..... I cant even think of the word.... egotistical? that they wouldnt just create ONE server with the original settings.

People had alot of fun, why did they go out of thier way (and it seemed they went WAY out of thier way) to upset happy customers.

The strangest history of an MMO ever. And stil they wont listen.
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-24-2011, 04:12 PM
Well, I started out on Chilastra where I became notorious. I and a handful of people destroyed 8 player cities. SOE changed the rules on House transfers because of us. We also disbanded an enemy players guild with a spy that we had in it. After all that was said and done, I turned over a new leaf, moved to Bria server and PvP'ed. After Bria I made the switch to Starsider where my 3 toons stil reside.

I will miss the memories made, the adventures had, and the wars fought.

BlackMagnum.
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-24-2011, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
I guess Lucas Arts revoked the license on or near SWG's anniversarry. I guess SWToR's live release must be close at hand.
Revoking the license is a bit of a surprise, but them shutting down because of SWTOR isnít. I know many guys who had no intention of jumping ship when TOR went live, even to try it. I would say LA had every intention of forcing them out one way or another. Whether those guys decide to pick up TOR is any ones guess. Talking to them now as I post this. A couple of them have no intention of getting the game at all now with this. I had every intention of getting the game and keeping my account open on SWGs to go fly with them for events in my B and Y-Wing. Didnít get to play it for long, only 2 years for me, but it was a lot more fun than I thought it would be. I'll miss it.
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-24-2011, 04:17 PM
Considering that Ultima Online is still going, sony could have given its customers a last reprieve by keeping at least one server running or even swtiching to F2P.