# 21
06-24-2011, 04:36 PM
RIP SWG.

One of the most fun times;
- The Pokemon wars
- The introduction of Mounts, and then Vehicles
- The player cities, mayors and vendors
- The brilliant crafting system and economy

Was a magnificent game when it began, before the Jedi-Grind CU/NGE.
Lt. Commander
# 22
06-24-2011, 04:39 PM
Goodbye!
Lt. Commander
# 23
06-24-2011, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Virtual items are simply temporary entertainment, just like going to the movies. You drop $10 or more to be entertained for only 2 hours at the movies, and afterwards all you have are memories. You dont actually "own" anything about it.
People seldom go to the movies when they can wait a few months to buy a physical copy on DVD, often for less, to watch whenever they like. But that's completely irrelevant to this discussion. I'd have thought better of you than to defend a point with such flimsy legerdemain.

The Star Wars Galaxies TCG was sold as a stand alone product with some integration into the MMO client, but could be played as its own game. Thus, despite (or maybe because of) the travesty of the NGE, it was marketed as a separate product. It was not unfeasible for players to buy into the TCG without setting foot in the MMO.

However, a big draw was the random chance of obtaining rare loot cards that would provide boosts in the MMO. The first few sets had fancy cosmetic items, which were apparently developed by another group separate from the MMO development team. (And where have we heard that one before?) But as time moved on, the TCG was the primary way that new content was introduced into the game. (Likewise, we've heard that a bit closer to home.)

If a player wanted a barn to store their pets, for example; the only way to get it was via a random chance. Likewise, game mechanics coded to be deliberately annoying, such as feeding pets, could be nullified through these rare items. (It should be noted that both these loot cards affect a game mechanic that was introduced post-NGE - BizDev at its finest.)

The justification many players had, after finding themselves buying hundreds of these boosters at a time, was that they could play a game with the non-loot cards. Just like the physical WoW card game that was popular back then. A delusion encouraged by the marketing of this random chance, with virtual boosters sold at exactly the same price point.

If WoW gets switched off tomorrow, anyone who bought into the physical TCG would still be able to play it until the ink wears off. The players of the Star Wars TCG will not have that luxury, and I genuinely feel for them. They are the first of many casualties in the push towards the virtual marketplace, and have been cynically exploited in order to turn a profit.

A discussion of whether a person with a gambling addiction has a genuine illness deserving of sympathy; or whether they deserve to be exploited for every last penny in the finest of laissez-faire traditions; is beyond the scope of this thread. Nevertheless, I hope learning from examples such as this would help consumers make an informed decision to where their entertainment dollar is spent.

But to state that unregulated gambling in the context of an online virtual environment is just like going to the movies is a condescending oversimplification, is it not?
Lt. Commander
# 24
06-24-2011, 05:23 PM
Regardless of your personal feelings toward SWG...It's still sad to see an MMO that's been around as long as SWG has go down.

I knew something was up when they started offering free transfers off servers again....
Lt. Commander
# 25
06-24-2011, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeathenStorm View Post
People seldom go to the movies when they can wait a few months to buy a physical copy on DVD, often for less, to watch whenever they like.
The fact that movies routinely make 10s of millions of dollars in theaters every weekend say you are wrong.
Lt. Commander
# 26
06-24-2011, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksparrowjive55 View Post
The fact that movies routinely make 10s of millions of dollars in theaters every weekend say you are wrong.
And your opinion on the rest of my post? Or are you just scoring points?
Lt. Commander
# 27
06-24-2011, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeathenStorm View Post
And your opinion on the rest of my post? Or are you just scoring points?
My opinion of your post is this:

Its overbloated, highly irrlevent in places, wanders from one idea to the next, attempts to use big words/ideas, but fails to get across any coherent point.

Just being honest.

Edit:

Quote:
People seldom go to the movies when they can wait a few months to buy a physical copy on DVD, often for less, to watch whenever they like.
Completely made up by yourself with no factual data to back up your statement. If you have such proof, please provide it, instead of making sweeping statements based on your own opinion.
Lt. Commander
# 28
06-24-2011, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Equinox
My opinion of your post is this:

Its overbloated, highly irrlevent in places, wanders from one idea to the next, attempts to use big words/ideas, but fails to get across any coherent point.

Just being honest.
Each to their own. Would bullet points be easier for you to understand?

Quote:
Completely made up by yourself with no factual data to back up your statement. If you have such proof, please provide it, instead of making sweeping statements based on your own opinion.
Barely relevant to the discussion, but easily obtained by Googling 'Movie Attendance'...

Quote:
Going to the movies has long been a staple American pastime, but this traditional night out has come under pressure in recent years. The number of moviegoers has been growing slowly, if at all, reflecting the rising popularity of alternatives such as DVDs (especially with the advent of high definition formats), television, and on-demand Internet services.

Source: http://www.wikinvest.com/concept/Movie_Attendance.
Quote:
Summer movie attendance fell to the lowest level since 1997, while soaring ticket prices produced record revenue for Hollywood studios and theater owners.

Source: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-0...uoy-sales.html
Quote:
Fewer movie tickets were sold in 2010 than in any year since 1996, veteran box-office tracker Paul Dergarabedian said Sunday.

Source: http://www.imdb.com/news/ni6605376/
When customer numbers drop, the prices go up. Simple economics, but perhaps not simple enough for some people.
Lt. Commander
# 29
06-24-2011, 06:40 PM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Atari Community Rules and Policies ~<GM Jahia>
Lt. Commander
# 30
06-24-2011, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Equinox
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Atari Community Rules and Policies ~<GM Jahia>
Err, I didn't. It was the OP that poorly compared the TCG to going to the movies. I just pointed out the fact that more people are buying for home cinema these days, where they get to keep the disc.

However, there IS a relevant point as mentioned in my last post. When revenue drops, prices go up. In the case of SWG, the card game was added to compensate for the drop in revenue from the post-NGE exodus; going from cosmetic fluff to game-altering items in a short period.

I just don't want to see the same mistakes made with STO. And I'm sure we can all agree on that.