Lt. Commander
# 21
06-24-2011, 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificialx
I will give you one piece of advice. If you are in a scenario where you know, or have reason to believe there are cloaked ships, you want to be running your buffs constantly. Chaining 2 copies of EPTS for example, will permanently harden your shields, and mitigate much of the damage. It is not enough to be reactive, you need to proactive. There is almost no time to react to cloaked ambushes, and the time it takes you to click a power is too great. You want a macro to pop defensive buffs immediately, for those situations you ARE caught off guard, so that pressing one key, will immediately put you on to shield power mode and fire off whatever heals/buffs you so desire. But again, you ideally want to be pre-buffed against attack.

Typically I will also stay in shield power setting until I start attacking an enemy. High shield power will also negate a fair portion of the damage and give you more time to respond. Never sit around a flag and not be on shield power is my motto..
Thanks for the advice, I will definitely start doing that now! This happened with my sci in a inteprid retrofit, but I have her specced out for support and heals, and that was exactly what happened to me. I knew he was there and heard him the second he decloaked but I had literally no time to click on anything. This post made perfect sense. As far as shields settings, I use TSS for shield heals as well as tt and epts, is it better to keep my shields at max or my aux? i have it right now with my shields at 50(not including bonuses, I can't tell you what the bonuses are off the top of my head but it doesn't stay at 50 if that makes sense) and max power for aux. Should I do it the other way around or try to make them as even as possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
Well, unless someone hacks an account to steal money from you or Cryptic, it won't be illegal, but it can be against the EULA and will lead to a ban. In fact, it is against the rules of the forum themselves to discuss exploits and hacks (as it invites people to try it themselves). If it seems fishy, your only real option is to report it via a GM ticket.

But I'd say 99.9 % or more of these cases (even taking into account that 35 % of all statistics are made up on the spot), there isn't anything more fishy going on than a player surprised by an attack and without any good buffs against an enemy with lots of buffs (possibly including a lucky crit).
I've accepted that this player was just that good but it mostly caught me off guard because I'm 90% healing, most of my Boff powers are heals. Also what caught me off guard was that I didn't even get a chance to react, but I'm going to try what ArtifcialX suggested and keep buffs up even when I'm not currently being attacked. This is also my first sci so I should probably get a little more familiar with playing a Sci before getting so surprised by this kind of pwnage.
Lt. Commander
# 22
06-25-2011, 03:35 AM
Chalk this all up to a lucky shot
Lt. Commander
# 23
06-25-2011, 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_484
Thanks for the advice, I will definitely start doing that now! This happened with my sci in a inteprid retrofit, but I have her specced out for support and heals, and that was exactly what happened to me. I knew he was there and heard him the second he decloaked but I had literally no time to click on anything. This post made perfect sense. As far as shields settings, I use TSS for shield heals as well as tt and epts, is it better to keep my shields at max or my aux? i have it right now with my shields at 50(not including bonuses, I can't tell you what the bonuses are off the top of my head but it doesn't stay at 50 if that makes sense) and max power for aux. Should I do it the other way around or try to make them as even as possible?
Personally I would say max shields, and put whatever else you have in Aux. You can always eat an Aux battery once you are sure you will need it to boost aux power. Having high shields may give you an invaluable extra couple seconds to react. I would usually use TSS is a more reactionary fashion. EPTS would be my primary shield buff if I see nobody around. Again, running 2 will allow you to have 100% uptime on that skill, so you can just have it always running and not worry about using it reactively.

Check out the keybind tutorial for info on how to bind powers. That way, when you hear that decloak, pow you are in full defence mode before the first shots reach you.