Lt. Commander
# 11
06-20-2011, 11:54 AM
Crafting on ships should be limited to Personal (ground) stuff and ship batteries at normal crafting "price". Anything bigger (deflector dish for instance) would be much more difficult to make on a starship and should cost more and/or have a chance of failure.

I wholeheartedly agree on the Memory Alpha transwarp.

Z
Lt. Commander
# 12 OK
06-20-2011, 11:57 AM
WHile i do sympathize with many of you for wanting crafting to stay at its current place I do think it should be changed to its respective feilds. Crafting menu is inside your personal interface. As for the areas of crafting I do think memory alpha was not such a place to put crafting in for STO.

Crafting of ship components was done manily at utopia shipyards, crafting of reserch and development was done at jupiter station. Again I am not trying to down anyone but, for many months now people have asked to place crafting as many would remember it in star trek.

There is also no real focus on one place to be a crafting hub as we all have comms and can invite up to 5 people into a channel to talk. You can also use voice chat programs.
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-20-2011, 03:22 PM
Having to travel back to MA for Fed crafting is a chore at times, so much so I'm planning on on stationing one of my characters there permanently. For items that can be crafted on either FED or KDF, I'll often use my KDF crafter as running around Qo'noS is a lot quicker than having to travel to MA.

I think crafting should be made available in more locations, on your ships, stations. Certain items such as ships/shuttles could be restricted to places like ESD or Utopia Planitia.

Regarding crafting chatter, if they were to put crafting on ESD for example, they could possibly put the crafting area in a subzone, where it changes your zone chat to a new channel.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-20-2011, 04:06 PM
I think that the lowest level of crafting and the highest level, at least, should require the player to go to MA.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-21-2011, 10:51 PM
I hate the idea of splintering people away from Memory Alpha. I like seeing people outside their ships. It's supposed to be a social game, right? I even have a max char that just sits in there when I need to craft something, and if I leave to do an STF or daily I just hit my Transwarp to S39 option and exit the system to travel to Memory Alpha.

I have also had good rewarding experiences helping people craft. Those have been the most rewarding ones to me. To do something without asking for anything in return and perhaps leaving a good impression on a player. None of this would happen if I could just creep in my ship and pump out stuff without a care in the world.

I agree with the OP's idea for a Transwarp option to Memory Alpha. Perhaps it should be given as an option when you reach max level crafting. It would satisfy those who get annoyed at the travel and those who enjoy the social aspect of crafting in one place.
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-28-2011, 12:18 AM
I think some form of crafting on ship is a good thing, but, i dont think it should have the same cost , it should be more expensive to craft on board ship (refelecting the reduced resources available) , it should only be possible from items in your inventory, not the bank (as you dont have the bank on board ship) etc...
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-28-2011, 07:36 AM
There is no reason for crafting of all types to be restricted to Memory Alpha. The Constitution-class starships had extensive fabrication facilities in the days before replicators made it possible to do things in your stateroom for small items.

There were several references during DS9 to "industrial class replicators" which are obviously rather large systems for huge object construction. Additionally, Voyager survived for years being able to replicate much of its spare parts onboard the ship when it wasn't able to negotiate the parts and maintenance from a friendly species. It simply makes no sense that a large starship would not be able to replicate and assemble most of the parts necessary to maintain itself. While infrequent, there are plenty of cases where a starship is disabled or somehow out of range of traditional support for long periods and has to survive, Voyager being the extreme case. However, given enough available replicators, space to store items, and available energy for running the system, there shouldn't be anything a ship couldn't build over time.

For a more realistic approach, I would like to see the ability to craft pretty much everything on a ship short of impulse engines, and perhaps the deflector dish. All other ship systems, even components like phaser and shield arrays, are made up of small enough components that could be fabricated onboard and assembled by the crew. I would like to see some sort of time factor involved in doing this however. SW Galaxies crafting typically took many hours or even days for some crafting jobs, and it tied up that system for the duration. I think adding that puts some logistical preparation in mind for managing the queues and available resources.

i also agree that decentralizing crafting without adding some sort of "crafting channel" is going to make crafting that much more difficult in this game though.
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-28-2011, 07:37 PM
Why not simply add a transwarp destination to memory alpha? Perhaps even make it craft-able.
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-28-2011, 08:40 PM
What about this.

First idea. Prototypes. The first time you craft an item it must be done at Memory Alpha. After that you can craft from your ship.

2nd Idea Master Crafter. Once you have mastered crafting or a type of crafting you unlock the craft from ship ability.

3rd. Crafting station. Must be built in Memory Alpha but then is installed on your ship in engineering or someplace.

4th. Cost Either costs less to craft at MA or more from your ship. Kinda like when you replicate the diplomacy items for Aid the Planet.

Or some combination?

What do you think?
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-28-2011, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einarr View Post
What about this.

First idea. Prototypes. The first time you craft an item it must be done at Memory Alpha. After that you can craft from your ship.

2nd Idea Master Crafter. Once you have mastered crafting or a type of crafting you unlock the craft from ship ability.

3rd. Crafting station. Must be built in Memory Alpha but then is installed on your ship in engineering or someplace.

4th. Cost Either costs less to craft at MA or more from your ship. Kinda like when you replicate the diplomacy items for Aid the Planet.

Or some combination?

What do you think?
I like 2 and 3.