Lt. Commander
# 1 New Science advise plz
07-02-2011, 08:39 AM
Hi all,

I am coming back to STO after a long time away from the game. If I am honest I never really gave the game a fair punt first time, and as such I am having real trouble deciding what to play.

My desire is to go for a Science character and look to be a sort of team support character. Ideally I would want to be the guy who debuff the enemy and/or drops their shields so the DPS can go crazy, is this a realistic role for a Science character?

If so what Race/Trait/Skill/ship combo should I go for?

Also can anyone point me in the direction of a good guide for this sort of role? I have been looking on google but have lucked out so far.

Thanks in Advance
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-02-2011, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VarSity View Post
Hi all,

I am coming back to STO after a long time away from the game. If I am honest I never really gave the game a fair punt first time, and as such I am having real trouble deciding what to play.

My desire is to go for a Science character and look to be a sort of team support character. Ideally I would want to be the guy who debuff the enemy and/or drops their shields so the DPS can go crazy, is this a realistic role for a Science character?

If so what Race/Trait/Skill/ship combo should I go for?

Also can anyone point me in the direction of a good guide for this sort of role? I have been looking on google but have lucked out so far.

Thanks in Advance
absolutely viable and extremely fun. I'd say go with a joined trill or alien race to pick your passives. Then astrometrics and accuracy IMO, and if you go alien def pick efficient captain.

Edit: you know what Im pretty sure vulcans get the required +10 ops training astrophysist, that would be great too. Maybe even better than the joined trill. But I love the bonus the trill gives.

I love the intrepid refit for this build. Great turn rate and tough as nails. Make sure to go accurate weaponry to get the best bang for you buck out of your sci ships readily available target subsys menu.

So many abilities to mess an enemys day up and still be great support for your team. And the best guide you will find would be right here on the forums IMO. Our community loves helping with builds and giving advice.

see you on the battlefield.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-02-2011, 02:47 PM
If you don't want to buy the Joined Trill from the C-Store, I'd say go with an Alien or a Benzite for the Efficient Captain trait.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-02-2011, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHorizon
absolutely viable and extremely fun. I'd say go with a joined trill or alien race to pick your passives. Then astrometrics and accuracy IMO, and if you go alien def pick efficient captain.

Edit: you know what Im pretty sure vulcans get the required +10 ops training astrophysist, that would be great too. Maybe even better than the joined trill. But I love the bonus the trill gives.

I love the intrepid refit for this build. Great turn rate and tough as nails. Make sure to go accurate weaponry to get the best bang for you buck out of your sci ships readily available target subsys menu.

So many abilities to mess an enemys day up and still be great support for your team. And the best guide you will find would be right here on the forums IMO. Our community loves helping with builds and giving advice.

see you on the battlefield.

Cheers for the advice. I actually have the whole Lifetime Membership thing (which I got on a very drunk whim), so would a Liberated Borg be a good bet? I'm sure one of their traits give a number of + stats, but I don't know if they are relevant to the build I'm looking to go for.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VarSity View Post
Cheers for the advice. I actually have the whole Lifetime Membership thing (which I got on a very drunk whim), so would a Liberated Borg be a good bet? I'm sure one of their traits give a number of + stats, but I don't know if they are relevant to the build I'm looking to go for.
Yeppers. Lib Borg good for all. An then get your Borg bridge officer from c-store. Great stat padding. But remember these are just small tics to your overall goal. I believe I "feel better" with the joined trill bonus', but that may be just personal preference. If you have a Lil spare time try both out and look at the raw stats when you get into game. You can math it out from there since the skill tree is the same no matter what the race of your cap is.

It has long been said you can do anything with any cap in the game. To what extent comes down to piloting and powers choices. A buddy of mine doesn't spend a point past the third teir of skills and he's a beast. At almost everything.

Edit: I also have drunken sto whims. Some turn out quite bearable. Lol. Damn you guiness.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-02-2011, 04:34 PM
I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but here is a Guide to Building Science Ships. One of the guides includes a shield killer, that might be what you're looking for.