Lt. Commander
# 21
06-29-2011, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yreodred
[color="DarkOrange"]
So why do they give us the choice if we are supposed to use only black and shades of grey?
because if these options would be missing... it would result in huge rage on the Forums?

//ok i just jumped on Tribble testing around a bit...
and i think i found your error...

this is how it is supposed to look like, you just made everything red,
the lines on the back are bump mapping reflections,
that is why the red looks a bit pink-ish ...i think

only on the shoulders the color is a bit brighter... is that what you mean?
if that is it... then i did not see that on your picture.

Lt. Commander
# 22
06-29-2011, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
because if these options would be missing... it would result in huge rage on the Forums?

//ok i just jumped on Tribble testing around a bit...
and i think i found your error...

this is how it is supposed to look like, you just made everything red,
the lines on the back are bump mapping reflections,
that is why the red looks a bit pink-ish ...i think

http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/5m29...0629222815.jpg

only on the shoulders the color is a bit brighter... is that what you mean?
if that is it... then i did not see that on your picture.

http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/qxe4...0629222713.jpg
Yes thats exactly what i mean. This terrible pink stripe ruins the whole uniform and it is not that the other 24009 uniforms would be better regarding this, and even on your picture it looks pink-ish to me.

So if the coloring is supposed to look like on your pictures, i still don't get why that $%&$% stripe has to be so bright.

I don't think it's an error at all, i fear that it is intended that way.
That's what really annoys me, the designers didn't care for other colors (or the TNG color scheme) they just asumed that everyone takes grey, they even asumed that everyone wants to have their fragmentational stripes.
(I say grey, because that color on the shoulder pads is in no way real black IMO)

Let's asume they would have decided to use the same color palette and reflection quality on all layers or uniform parts.
We still could have made a uniform they intended, but we would have also more freedom to create a different styled uniform. So i think they just didn't care about giving us as much customization options at all, their main concern seems to make a uniform that looks good on some pictures.

@Timelord_Victorious
I was a bit dissappointed too, i was hoping for the same thing as you, different kinds of material but not just glossy or matte.
It's funny, because if you set the Graphics to minimum you get a similar effect.

Live long and prosper.
Lt. Commander
# 23
06-29-2011, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yreodred

@Timelord_Victorious
I was a bit dissappointed too, i was hoping for the same thing as you, different kinds of material but not just glossy or matte.
It's funny, because if you set the Graphics to minimum you get a similar effect.

Live long and prosper.
Exactly! I suspect the "material" effect is nothing more than a reduced lighting quality on the uniform. I don't suppose a dev can confirm this?

Think I figured out the problem.
in fact it's the exact same red as the rest of the uniform. What's different about that stripe is, that it lacks texture.The missing honeycomb pattern results in less "black shades" intermixed with the red and makes it look lighter to you on the whole.
Take a look here. The devs can't adjust the color here cause it already is the right one. They could however add the missing textures to fix it.

BTW what do you think about my version of the uniform?

Edit: Just double checked on the Jupiter 3 uniform. it's the exact same thing. It's teh same shade of red just without the "leather" texture aplied on the strip in question. Except in this case it's an obvious design choice. Not so sure about the veteran uni.
If you look veeery closely,, that they didn't really add any layers to the uniform, just "painted" the textures over the base colored uniform geometry.
it's a similar trick make-up artists use to simulate high cheek bones on a plain round face, or eye shadows...
Lt. Commander
# 24
06-30-2011, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timelord_Victorious
Exactly! I suspect the "material" effect is nothing more than a reduced lighting quality on the uniform. I don't suppose a dev can confirm this?

Think I figured out the problem.
in fact it's the exact same red as the rest of the uniform. What's different about that stripe is, that it lacks texture.The missing honeycomb pattern results in less "black shades" intermixed with the red and makes it look lighter to you on the whole.
Take a look here. The devs can't adjust the color here cause it already is the right one. They could however add the missing textures to fix it.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-n...Unbenannt1.png
That explanation sounds very likely, so what the devs should do to solve this issue, would simply be to add the same texture as the rest of the uniform?
That sound not realy hard IMHO.

Quote:
BTW what do you think about my version of the uniform?
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-M.../Unbenannt.png
Nice.

Quote:
Edit: Just double checked on the Jupiter 3 uniform. it's the exact same thing. It's teh same shade of red just without the "leather" texture aplied on the strip in question. Except in this case it's an obvious design choice. Not so sure about the veteran uni.
If you look veeery closely,, that they didn't really add any layers to the uniform, just "painted" the textures over the base colored uniform geometry.
it's a similar trick make-up artists use to simulate high cheek bones on a plain round face, or eye shadows...
This is an excellent analysis IMHO.
If it was a design choice then someone in the design team should buy some glasses. LoL
Seriously, they couldn't just assume that everyone would choose black as the main color on the Jupiter 3 uniform...sorry, i just cannot comprehend what they where thinking.

I mean especially when designing a uniform in STO, the responsible designer should think about making a uniform to look good in all, or as many, colors as possible IMHO.

Again, thank you for your brilliant analysis.

Btw, i would love to know what the responsible designer has to say about this..

Live long and prosper.
Lt. Commander
# 25
07-01-2011, 12:21 PM
Hm, thanks...
But it looks like I effectively ended the thread?
I didn't intend to.
I always hate to be the thread killer!
Quick, continue the discussion!
Lt. Commander
# 26
07-01-2011, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Hm, thanks...
But it looks like I effectively ended the thread?
I didn't intend to.
I always hate to be the thread killer!
Quick, continue the discussion!
I think everything that has to be said about it has been said.

I just can say that i am going to look three or four times before i buy something like the jupiter series again, and since the 500 day veteran uniform was somehow for free, there is nothing to be said.
I just found it sad that the uniform designers limit those uniforms with really unnecessary restrictions, while on the other hand, they could look so good without them.
It's just irritating.

So either the devs decide to do something about it or not.
(But i wouldn't count on it.)

Live long and prosper.
Lt. Commander
# 27
07-01-2011, 09:53 PM
I dunno. I like the Vet jacket and the rest of the Jupiter line. Particularly, Jupiter 03, as a matter of fact. It's probably my favorite jacket out of the set.
Lt. Commander
# 28
07-02-2011, 01:12 PM
The more I play with it, the more the vast disparity between the stripe along the shoulder and the trim on the Jupiter 03 uniform annoys me. Keep a disparity, I like the complimentary colors, but lessen it a tad so my it more closely matches the trim.

My goal is to match the VA coat as closely as possible. I can get pretty close, but so long as that stripe remains so much darker, I can't quite get it.
Lt. Commander
# 29
07-02-2011, 09:15 PM
About the Jupiter 3 uniform, there are at least 6 different shades of grey, instead of just black. I just don't understand why the devs not just simply use one color palette, and let US decide how OUR uniform should look.

Btw. the Belt is much to bright.

I used the "material" matte, which is just a reduced graphic seting IMO.
That uniform should be completely Black, i used the darkest black everywhere, just to show that the different sections of that uniform use different color palettes.

For reference:
"Matte"
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/...ference001.jpg
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/...ference002.jpg

"Glossy"
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/...eglossy001.jpg
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/...eglossy004.jpg

I just don't understand why we cannot choose for ourselves what color we want to use.
Just because some designer thinks that this uniform looks better if some pieces of that uniform are darker and some not, doesn't mean that everyone likes that.
If they would have just used just ONE color palette instead, we had much more possibilities when coloring this uniform and we could still be able to color that uniform in that way the designer intended.

Live long and prosper.