Lt. Commander
# 1 About that real life C-Store
07-04-2011, 04:24 AM
So, in the latest Ask Cryptic DStahlö talked about some kind of real life store:

Quote:
A: Believe it or not we have talked to companies that make MMO Avatar Figures to see if they could make replica models of your Starships. The issue we ran into is that Starships are somewhat fragile and not well suited to this sort of modeling as the nacelles are often delicately attached to the hull. In addition, we are looking into other merchandising opportunities such as STO specific custom gear. I don't expect any of this to hit the c-store this year but maybe in 2012.
Two questions regarding that:

Does this include Uniforms? That would be so awesome

Should you manage to get that through, would it be just an option for the US or the EU too?
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-04-2011, 04:55 AM
i very much hope that they would offer a reliable and cheap way to import those items to the EU.
i would soooo buy a Replica of my STO Ship, i don't care if it's Micro Machine sized or a big Art Asylum Model with lights+sound, i'd buy it instantly.

but he is right in one thing, it is realy hard to get the Nacelles + Pylons straight, how many toys have i seen where the Nacelles are badly aligned
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-04-2011, 05:15 AM
*IF* anything like this does happen which I doubt would be in any meaningful way and with anything decent, I just don't see it being available for the EU.

If legislation prevents simple competitions being available outside the US, what chance is there that Cryptic will go the whole hog with this? (EU partners, legalities etc.)

If anything shipping into the EU would be prohibitive premium on any price and with taxes... well, I don't think I would pay that over the top of what I would already be paying. Then there is the added fun of border customs declarations especially here in the UK not to mention to keep costs down the delivery method would be 1) Super Fast (14 days) or 2) Standard (errr... we sent it honest!)

I would like to see this available but I see too many hurdles in the way. That's just my opinion though.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-04-2011, 05:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KappaTau
*IF* anything like this does happen which I doubt would be in any meaningful way and with anything decent, I just don't see it being available for the EU.

If legislation prevents simple competitions being available outside the US, what chance is there that Cryptic will go the whole hog with this? (EU partners, legalities etc.)

If anything shipping into the EU would be prohibitive premium on any price and with taxes... well, I don't think I would pay that over the top of what I would already be paying. Then there is the added fun of border customs declarations especially here in the UK not to mention to keep costs down the delivery method would be 1) Super Fast (14 days) or 2) Standard (errr... we sent it honest!)

I would like to see this available but I see too many hurdles in the way. That's just my opinion though.
Buying things from the US has no legal restriction in the EU; A contest and selling things is two different pairs of shoes.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-04-2011, 12:19 PM
They will still encounter all the legal mumbo jumbo that comes with setting up a cross-border item store. That's my point.

You seem to understand the principle, so you should know it's not quite as simple Cryptic's end as just store -> order -> ship.

It won't happen. It's too much effort. If it was just currency trading hands, no problem. This is not though.