Lt. Commander
# 11
07-06-2011, 06:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohort View Post
i think more trates means less diversity

say you choose from a pool of 20 and have 4 choices you get more different loads than if you have 20 trates and 5 or more to choose from
I was asuming that it would also mean that there would be more traits in general.
Choosing 4 traits gives you less possibilities that having the chance to choose 5 traits IMHO.

Live long and prosper.
Lt. Commander
# 12
07-06-2011, 08:18 AM
You also have to take into account gradients of traits, in my description, where a Trait can have degrees of potency.
Lt. Commander
# 13
07-06-2011, 01:27 PM
Personally, I think it's kind of ridiculous that player captains -- whose characters should feel like exceptional individuals -- don't get the option to improve their existing traits. It seems odd that your average BO gets the same number of traits as your captain, making your captain really nothing all that special.

It does seem that, at a minimum, players should get one more trait selection than a BO gets. And there ought to be a system that allows a player to selectively improve a character's traits over time.
Lt. Commander
# 14
07-06-2011, 01:51 PM
If player characters got just one more trait to choose from, I think you'd see a lot of variety, players would be more satisfied with their ability to customize and also be able to replicate sets of classic traits.

You could build a classic Vulcan: Physical Strength*, Logical*, Acute Senses, Mind Meld, Nerve Pinch

Or a Vulcan scientist: Physical Strength*, Logical*, Astrophysicist, Creative, Warp Theorist

Or a Vulcan telepath: Physical Strength*, Logical*, Acute Senses, Limited Telepathy, Mind Meld

A Gorn engineer: Cold-Blooded*, Reptilian Strength*, Resilient*, Techie, Warp Theorist

Or a properly vicious Gorn: Cold-Blooded*, Reptilian Strength*, Resilient*, Bite, Aggressive

How about a Kirk-ified Human?: Leadership*, Teamwork*, Creative, Lucky, Stubborn

Or maybe a Picard-type?: Leadership*, Teamwork*, Astrophysicist, Creative, Stubborn

Or a La Forge?: Leadership*, Teamwork*, Creative, Techie, Warp Theorist

You could build a Klingon who likes his combat up close and personal: Honorable*, Warrior*, Sturdy, Stubborn, Sure-Footed

Or maybe you prefer a Klingon tactician?: Honorable*, Warrior*, Accurate, Covert, Lucky
Lt. Commander
# 15
07-11-2011, 09:33 PM
I really like the idea, especially the part where you can choose to improve your Traits as you level up.

Vulcans aren't all good and Mind Melding, but all Vulcans have the potential. With this sort of system you could unlock that potential and with time become the master of it.

This idea definitely gets two thumbs up from me.

Lt. Commander
# 16
07-12-2011, 01:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post
...Vulcans aren't all good and Mind Melding, but all Vulcans have the potential. With this sort of system you could unlock that potential and with time become the master of it...
Sounds logical to me.

Live long and prosper.
Lt. Commander
# 17
07-12-2011, 05:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh1ngara
i think the triats are ok for the limit we have, the thing that gets me is that you create your 1st char lets say when the game came out, it is prob still your main char, you didnt fully understand the way you would play now and how the traits themselves would effect you but that char is stuck with those traits.
Yeah, I agree with this. I picked the traits for my character before I knew what they did. Now I wish I could change them.

I picked all Ground traits on my main, whereas I pretty much only play in Space now! >_<
Lt. Commander
# 18
07-12-2011, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post
I really like the idea, especially the part where you can choose to improve your Traits as you level up.

Vulcans aren't all good and Mind Melding, but all Vulcans have the potential. With this sort of system you could unlock that potential and with time become the master of it.

This idea definitely gets two thumbs up from me.

I agree, this will especially become relevant when they allow you to (as it keeps getting mentioned) promote Boffs to playable Captains. I really like my current Captain and have no desire to play any of my Boffs, but when this happens you just know people will be doing this to obtain Captains with superior traits.
Lt. Commander
# 19
07-12-2011, 05:16 PM
I think this is a great suggestion. You have my support.
Lt. Commander
# 20
08-01-2011, 08:59 AM
The dev have alraedy talked about spliting the space and ground skill trees why not the traits
Choose 4 space and 4 ground with racial not counting toward your choises.
Give aliens a racial a grab bag of randomly generatied traits to pick from so there not left out.