Lt. Commander
# 11
07-07-2011, 12:45 PM
3 min is too long, a 2 minute timer seems more appropriate for such a short duration. I've found I hold off using this power when I could use it just because I don't want to waste such a long recharge (especially against other sci ships). Against borg encounters this power is fairly useful when I actually use it to heal myself the long reuse makes it not practical to rely on. I'd rather have a power that is something I can use all the time instead of just once in a while.

I really think there should be a buff to torpedoes while the ablative shield is up, making it more viable to use. In Voyager, a volley of three transphasic torps while the ablative shielding was up blew up a borg cube. I'm not saying make it that powerful, but a torp damage buff would be in line with cannon and make this power far more useful. At least that would make it worth a 3 min timer.
Lt. Commander
# 12
07-07-2011, 12:53 PM
I'd like to see it a toggle-able. Of course that means nerfing the bonuses it grants, but i just think it makes more sense. I just seems odd that you would deploy this armor and only have it out for a few seconds.
Lt. Commander
# 13
07-07-2011, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosbain View Post
3 min is too long, a 2 minute timer seems more appropriate for such a short duration. I've found I hold off using this power when I could use it just because I don't want to waste such a long recharge (especially against other sci ships). Against borg encounters this power is fairly useful when I actually use it to heal myself the long reuse makes it not practical to rely on. I'd rather have a power that is something I can use all the time instead of just once in a while.

I really think there should be a buff to torpedoes while the ablative shield is up, making it more viable to use. In Voyager, a volley of three transphasic torps while the ablative shielding was up blew up a borg cube. I'm not saying make it that powerful, but a torp damage buff would be in line with cannon and make this power far more useful. At least that would make it worth a 3 min timer.
Well the transphasics themselves need some adjusting, they are suppose to be able to pwn borg but quantums still hit harder then them, well when hitting the hull.
Lt. Commander
# 14
07-07-2011, 01:00 PM
3 minutes for 15 sec is not a fair ratio.
if the recharge is going to be that long the duration should be longer than that. or the duration should be at the players choosing like the galaxy R or the defiant. with unlimited duration.
Lt. Commander
# 15
07-07-2011, 01:12 PM
The fact that the intrepid its the most popular ship in scie should tell you that the Armor its fine, even too mach fine.. more if you compear that to the nebula special skill or even the Vulcan ship.
Lt. Commander
# 16
07-07-2011, 01:15 PM
If anything, it should be increased.

With the way heals are, it's much longer than 3 minutes in between times where Scissor are seriously threatened enough to pop Armor.
Lt. Commander
# 17
07-07-2011, 01:20 PM
Waiting for Jorf :p and his anti-intrepid proganda. But seriously, i think it should be a little increased.
Lt. Commander
# 18
07-07-2011, 01:22 PM
for it to be increased is not a good thing. it also would not be fair for it to be increased because someone has a good heal build. thats just silly.
Lt. Commander
# 19
07-07-2011, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerritouru View Post
The fact that the intrepid its the most popular ship in scie should tell you that the Armor its fine, even too mach fine.. more if you compear that to the nebula special skill or even the Vulcan ship.
I am not sure that is down to the ablative armor that makes it so popular.

For me I have never used it in pve as it just slows down the process. If the intent is for it to be a purely pvp skill then a 2 to 3 min timer is fine.

If, however, it is meant to be useful for pve as well then no amount of CD tweaking will make a difference. The ability itself would need to be changed in order to fit more into pve play style.
Lt. Commander
# 20
07-07-2011, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
Hey guys,

What is your opinion of what the recharge time should be for the Intrepid's Ablative Armor ability?

For reference, it currently is set at 3 minutes.
The recharge timer is okay, I think the ability just needs a few less advantages or more disadvantages. 3 Minutes can feel a long time too wait, but anything less, and you'd need to seriously nerf the power, and anything more, and the power will just feel too gimmicky and of little real use. It must be something you can work in a "long-term" power rotation that involves Captain Powers and similar abilities, and still leaves a weak spot to exploit.

I'd probably make Ablative Armor either cause a Aux Power Level Penalty or make the total resistance vary between 80-90 % based on Aux Power (eg. Power 25 => 80 %, Power 125 => 90 %).
Closed Thread