Lt. Commander
# 1 Borg Invasion
07-07-2011, 07:00 PM
"...the Borg Invasion events that were planned for June have been moved to the release of Season 4. They deserve a little more time and some better rewards so that they arenít just a re-hash of what was in Gamma Orionis."
(June Engineering Report)

Just wondering if I could get an update from a dev on the status of the Borg Invasion. This was pretty much what I've been looking forward to (previously prior to) season 4 for. The previous calendar event has not been reposted so I'm hoping for an ETA or at the very least a little more information on what will be happening.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-07-2011, 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblack86 View Post
"...the Borg Invasion events that were planned for June have been moved to the release of Season 4. They deserve a little more time and some better rewards so that they arenít just a re-hash of what was in Gamma Orionis."

Just wondering if I could get an update from a dev on the status of the Borg Invasion. This was pretty much what I've been looking forward to (previously prior to) season 4 for. The previous calendar event has not been reposted so I'm hoping for an ETA or at the very least a little more information on what will be happening.
I'm happy to be pleasently surprised when the attack happens. Surprise attacks are the Borg style, and I'd rather not get a warning from a Dev.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-07-2011, 08:07 PM
Quote:

The Borg Invasion (which has multiple maps and missions) is coming in stages.

Stage 1 - Borg (random) Deepspace incursions
These deepspace encounters will randomly appear in sectors and alert nearby players that they have a short amount of time to join the event. These events will be leveled by sector and all players that join will be temporarily be set to that level (so if you do an event in a higher level sector, you'll be temp leveled up). This map will be similar to previous Deepspace encounters in that there is an open mission objective that must be completed, including a boss encounter. Once the open mission is complete, it will boot players out and that event is done. There will be other objectives and accolades associated with this.

Status: We needed some new tech to do the Borg leveling properly. Software is working on this now. We also needed more time on the content side to make these challenging encounters vs. what was already in Omega Leonis, so one of our new content designers JB is working on this. Once these are done and tested, we plan to release them.

Stage 2 - Borg Ground Invasion
A species in the game is going to be at risk of being assimilated and both Feds and Kdf must attempt to defend the planet from being overrun with Borg. This event will most likely be a big weekly occurance. It will have multiple missions, allow anywhere between 25 and 50 players per zone and be one of the coolest repeatable ground events we have in the game. It will scale with level and have both easy and hard mission objectives that teams can attempt during the assimilation event.

Status: Our content lead and new content designer JV are in the process of building this zone now. The map is also being created by Kurt. Systems and costume are also working on new props for the various missions on this map.

Stage 3 - STFs revised
The STFs will be re-released with many of the updates that Gozer has been working on. These will also be coupled with a new Find a Group feature and broken up into smaller chunks so you say - could queue for a 5-man Infected Ground and just do that portion.

Status: Gozer has been churning through these missions, working on each one individually.

Stage 4 - Into the Hive
We plan to add the final encounter with the Borg Queen which we've been hinting at for over a year. This will be an end game task force and have special rewards.

Status: The Borg Queen boss encounter is complete. We are now working on the rest of the mission. Gozer will be jumping on to this once the other Borg STFs are ready to go.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-07-2011, 08:11 PM
Can't wait to overcome the "Blue Screen of Death" auto-crash I keep getting when the game starts so I can actually experience the lastest upgrades and changes...

Lt. Commander
# 5
07-07-2011, 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
The Borg Invasion (which has multiple maps and missions) is coming in stages.

Stage 1 - Borg (random) Deepspace incursions
These deepspace encounters will randomly appear in sectors and alert nearby players that they have a short amount of time to join the event. These events will be leveled by sector and all players that join will be temporarily be set to that level (so if you do an event in a higher level sector, you'll be temp leveled up). This map will be similar to previous Deepspace encounters in that there is an open mission objective that must be completed, including a boss encounter. Once the open mission is complete, it will boot players out and that event is done. There will be other objectives and accolades associated with this.

Status: We needed some new tech to do the Borg leveling properly. Software is working on this now. We also needed more time on the content side to make these challenging encounters vs. what was already in Omega Leonis, so one of our new content designers JB is working on this. Once these are done and tested, we plan to release them.

Stage 2 - Borg Ground Invasion
A species in the game is going to be at risk of being assimilated and both Feds and Kdf must attempt to defend the planet from being overrun with Borg. This event will most likely be a big weekly occurance. It will have multiple missions, allow anywhere between 25 and 50 players per zone and be one of the coolest repeatable ground events we have in the game. It will scale with level and have both easy and hard mission objectives that teams can attempt during the assimilation event.

Status: Our content lead and new content designer JV are in the process of building this zone now. The map is also being created by Kurt. Systems and costume are also working on new props for the various missions on this map.

Stage 3 - STFs revised
The STFs will be re-released with many of the updates that Gozer has been working on. These will also be coupled with a new Find a Group feature and broken up into smaller chunks so you say - could queue for a 5-man Infected Ground and just do that portion.

Status: Gozer has been churning through these missions, working on each one individually.

Stage 4 - Into the Hive
We plan to add the final encounter with the Borg Queen which we've been hinting at for over a year. This will be an end game task force and have special rewards.

Status: The Borg Queen boss encounter is complete. We are now working on the rest of the mission. Gozer will be jumping on to this once the other Borg STFs are ready to go.
Thank you very much for this quick and detailed response; it's exactly what I was looking for.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-07-2011, 08:53 PM
I can't wait for the Borg events to start, they sound awesome!
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-07-2011, 09:01 PM
This sounds bad...

RED ALERT!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-07-2011, 09:02 PM
So in short, the borg invasion wont be happening anytime soon..... yet another broken promise..... sigh
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-07-2011, 09:03 PM
Quote:
Thank you very much for this quick and detailed response; it's exactly what I was looking for.
Seconded! This does sound amazing, I'll have to wait a few days before I can experiance any of the S4 stuff cause I'm silly and got a broadband contract with a DL limit (D but from what I've seen in trailers it looks damn good.

Thank you Mr. Stahl! Hmm, no that won't do, not cool enough, I'm gonna call you "The Stahl" from now on, and of course credit to the rest of the team too.
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Is this tech related to having all levels of player encountering mobs that appear to be equal to them? ie VA and Lt fighting same mob and getting relatively the same damage/defense toward it? Will this tech be used on ALL DSEs from that point forward??