Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > The Art of Star Trek Online
Login

Lt. Commander

So in lue of writing an elequent argument as to why my being nitpicky about certain things like, ship design continuity or immersion will probably go unread, I decided to pick a topic for the day and make two comics about it.

Todays Episode: "Starfleet Corps of Engineers, We need to have a word about bridge readout displays..."

"Captains Log,

Life has returned to normal on the state of the art Galaxy Class U.S.S. Valencia after the Season 4 Patch; and a series of system upgrades to shields and propulsion... however, I'm afraid I'm going to have to take myself down to the medical wing... I ... I think I'm losing my mind...

A general investigation into the disaperance of crew members who take the turbolift past deck 19 has stumped my chief security officer, who is at a loss to explain where they are all going.

It wasn't until this afternoon I noticed something very strange about our Bridge Read Out Displays (Comic Part 1).

Apparently none of the rest of the crew notices; but considering we've lost all contact with decks 20-42, I'm ordering a general evacuation of the remaining crew of the U.S.S. Valencia to our alternative command, the U.S.S. Odyssey immediately while we proceed with the investigation."

*End Log*

Later, Found in a Log Bouey near a debris field matching the U.S.S. Odyssey's mass, and composition... (Comic Part 2)

.................................................. .....................................fin
Lt. Commander
# 2 Absolutely awesome!
07-08-2011, 02:42 PM
Andy, I am in tears. You captured that perfectly. Please do it again.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-08-2011, 02:56 PM
Proof that the Akira is the best! It's everywhere....

Ending of the last one made me laugh.

"...No"
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-08-2011, 03:14 PM
Normally I'd suggest that they have other more pressing issue to deal with. That being said, I laughed, I cried, I hope you get your ship fixed soon!
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-08-2011, 03:17 PM
I had to laugh about that, very funny.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-08-2011, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHale View Post
Normally I'd suggest that they have other more pressing issue to deal with. That being said, I laughed, I cried, I hope you get your ship fixed soon!
Haha I won't even get into one of the c-store bridges that 'updated' the look of the intrepid class bridge, where my helm and ops officer were standing on their station's chairs, however that did get fixed.

I've been conspicuously aware of this sort of 'set design' inconstancy since I started playing last year, I always figured it was a texture re-skin that might take 30 minutes if they used graphics available all over the friggn' internet, maybe the inside of a week if they reproduced ship schematics in house, who knows maybe a bit more, but it's the details that bring a world to life, and I'm confused why something like this wasn't caught during production, and not live in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-08-2011, 04:12 PM
haha wow, this is the most constructive topic in these forums.

Make more ! ^^
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-08-2011, 05:25 PM
Actually, what would be really cool would be if the bridge knew what ship it was installed in and could bring up the appropriate image for that type. Thats obviously a bit more technically demanding though.

I usually just write it off as someone on the crew researching another class of starship.
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-08-2011, 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chookhlo View Post
Actually, what would be really cool would be if the bridge knew what ship it was installed in and could bring up the appropriate image for that type. Thats obviously a bit more technically demanding though.

I usually just write it off as someone on the crew researching another class of starship.
I agree but I'm not trying to get my hopes up. There's no telling if the game's engine supports dynamic environments like that, let alone the coding and time necessary for something like that for something as silly as a convincing, immersible world, has to take a back seat when so much of the rest of the game has been left unfinished, or just still in Beta. (PvP, Tons of Bugs introduced by the season 4 patch...) The Devs got themselves a busy weekend ahead of themselves.
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-08-2011, 06:01 PM
Nnnnooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kira Neryes!!!!!!!