Lt. Commander
# 31
06-30-2011, 08:39 PM
This was a toughie!

I decided to focus the story on the difficulty/danger of the event that led to the grade not so much the grade/class itself. Admittedly, there is a "wait, what, how did he?" quality as the full background of my captain has not come to light yet.
Lt. Commander
# 32
07-01-2011, 05:55 AM
My entry is also a Kobyashi Maru test..As we know all command Cadets dread it. My Character is 3 of 11. I like to think she a short Brunette version of 7 of 9. Our fleet has our own back stories and we write about our characters a lot and 3 of 11 is new for me and I will be writing soon about her command crew. I spent all of about 30 minutes typing this out lost in thought a few times in how I wanted to go. It was an intriguing challenge in that it allowed me to develop 3's personality a bit more and I have been thinking about how liberated borg are treated by other people. I should have edited it more but since I was doing it during a break at work I wanted to submit it before I chickened out.
Lt. Commander
# 33
07-01-2011, 06:33 AM
Another tough one WishStone! This was a real grey area for me and I was almost tempted to either leave this challenge or write about a different character. I let that fleeting thought go however and came up with something that seems to have permeated in the TNG episodes I've been watching. That Prime Directive sure is a doozy!

Looking forward to the next one and liking the submissions I'm seeing as well.
Lt. Commander
# 34
07-04-2011, 07:18 PM
Well after a lot of thought I decided to take part in this challenge so I squeezed one in before the deadline, called Candidates. I hope people enjoy it, I did write it in one sitting at 2/3 am...ish and I'm fairly tired so I apologise in advance for any grammatical or spelling errors.

:p
Lt. Commander
# 35
07-04-2011, 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishStone
Oh, hey Arachnidus (and anyone else who needs more than one posting):
Don't worry if your story is long. As long as it's well-readable and not just a big clump of text - I'm sure we'll enjoy the story just the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamato
No problems there. I go over character limits a lot, especially over on YouTube.

Of course, that's probably because YouTube has a flimsy 500 character limit when posting a comment.

Anyway, I definitely enjoyed your little story. Programming a Borg Sphere into the Kobayashi Maru was an interesting way to win it.

I'm somewhat inspired to do my own Kobayashi Maru, but in my own way. Don't know if I'll actually write it, but I will let you know that the idea I have has the hacker being a friend of the main character, instead of the character himself.
Late, I know, but that's a relief.

And I'm glad you enjoyed it, Kira. I try my best. That's a nice idea, it's always more fun when more characters are involved.
Lt. Commander
# 36
07-05-2011, 06:36 AM
This one has finally gotten me to give writing something a try. Well, honestly I'd have taken a stab at some of the earlier ones if life had afforded me the necessary free time before now...

Alex is actually based on a character I played in a LUG Star Trek tabletop game set at the Academy, so she was the perfect candidate for this sort of story. The names of the other characters have been changed to protect the innocent - or because I can't remember them after all these years. :p

I'd be interrested to hear any feedback/constructive criticism, just in case there's a literary challenge #5.
Lt. Commander
# 37
07-06-2011, 06:01 PM
Once again pleasantly surprised that this time slot has been extended. I posted everything I have been able to come up with thus far, the time I have to work on them becomes less & less the busier I get. This is possibly the hardest topic to cover with a character meant to be mostly mysterious & oblivious to his own background, so I had to let it unfold in the form of a recently un-repressed memory.

There is a second part planned where Droid, reeling from the 25 year gap in his memory, must return to SF Academy for a refresher course before resuming his duties as a ship captain. The course took him the better part of a year to complete, & he re-graduated mid 2409. If I have time to work on it I'll expand upon what I have going here if the thread is still open at that time, otherwise I'll string it out to the latecomers area.

Thanks for the encouragement, right back at ya world! Your imaginations are all unique & vivid, very enjoyable reads so far; keep them coming!

P.S.
*chirp* = activation of comm badges or hails
&
*chimes* = activation of doorbells or intercom
Lt. Commander
# 38
07-08-2011, 01:03 AM
So, will there be a fifth challenge?
Lt. Commander
# 39
07-08-2011, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightErrant View Post
So, will there be a fifth challenge?
Totally, once I can catch up with all the Season4 stuffs happening. I, too, work on these things when it comes to keeping forums tidy (Bug Reports in the Bugs forum so that QA can find them); patch notes; marketing publishes and so on.

I've not forgotten my writers.
Lt. Commander
# 40
07-08-2011, 04:11 PM
I decided to partake in this, with the first story about the blundering scoundrel Captain Krovan, an Orion so incompetent the slave girls pheromones are said to be unable to find a brain cell worth dominating.
Closed Thread