Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
http://thunderboltgames.com/features...-all-none.html

From what I understand, this bill is supposed to help enforce laws regarding illegal downloads or streaming of copyrighted material being posted online. However, due to the wording of the bill and the broad subject matter it covers, this has a lot of people in an uproar since it will make posting ANY copyrighted material on the web illegal. From things like gameplay videos to perhaps a video of you and some friends singing karaoke.

This may seem blown out of proportion, I'm still reading about it myself. But as the bill stands, I do not support it and urge EVERYONE to at least read it and make an educated decision about it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
07-08-2011, 09:49 AM
I hope legislators vote against it.

If not, I hope the Supreme Court strikes this down. The wording is awful.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
07-08-2011, 06:45 PM
Erm.... not to nitpick here or anything but technically its already illegal to post copyrighted material on the internet unless you own the copyright

its just that most sites don't enforce it unless they get a complaint about it

and the problem is in the enforcement. they can pass a hundred of these bills, it won't make any difference in actually stopping it. theres too many ways around it and not even remotely enough manpower to try to do anything about it
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
07-08-2011, 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperLimited View Post
http://thunderboltgames.com/features...-all-none.html

From what I understand, this bill is supposed to help enforce laws regarding illegal downloads or streaming of copyrighted material being posted online. However, due to the wording of the bill and the broad subject matter it covers, this has a lot of people in an uproar since it will make posting ANY copyrighted material on the web illegal. From things like gameplay videos to perhaps a video of you and some friends singing karaoke.

This may seem blown out of proportion, I'm still reading about it myself. But as the bill stands, I do not support it and urge EVERYONE to at least read it and make an educated decision about it.
I agree wholeheartedly with this. Federal Bill S. 978 is bad news, and should not be passed.

Here's a site you can go to in order to send a letter to Congress telling them to reject the bill.

Remember, people, no matter who you are, you can make a difference if you make your voice known.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
07-08-2011, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamato
I agree wholeheartedly with this. Federal Bill S. 978 is bad news, and should not be passed.

Here's a site you can go to in order to send a letter to Congress telling them to reject the bill.

Remember, people, no matter who you are, you can make a difference if you make your voice known.
1/2 of congress does not understand what the internet is.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
07-09-2011, 12:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes85 View Post
Erm.... not to nitpick here or anything but technically its already illegal to post copyrighted material on the internet unless you own the copyright
...Actually, not many companies are too fussed about it being posted unless people are trying to make money from it or are releasing content early. Pre-production shots, for example, being a very touchy subject.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
07-09-2011, 02:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceFork
1/2 of congress does not understand what the internet is.
Preach it.....the internet has been around under heavy use for at least 15 years (I know it's been around longer). How many more years do we have to put up with these dinosaurs in congress before they die off?

I have the same question about the entertainment industry.


These fossils need to embrace the internet and form new business models around it and not pathetically cling to centuries old business models that are dying and not coming back no matter how much they try to force it ot.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
07-09-2011, 03:51 AM
Welcome to 1984. Where less is more and freedom is sacrificed for "security". That bill had better get shot down or else the ENTIRE internet will collapse. Practically anything anyone posts is copywrited by someone, so why aren't they just trying to ban the internet? :|
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
07-09-2011, 12:28 PM
Quote:
...Actually, not many companies are too fussed about it being posted unless people are trying to make money from it or are releasing content early. Pre-production shots, for example, being a very touchy subject.
yes, thats exactly what I said. but just because they don't generally care doesn't mean its actually legal. like I said its largely just not enforced. nor would this bill if it were to pass

Quote:
Welcome to 1984. Where less is more and freedom is sacrificed for "security". That bill had better get shot down or else the ENTIRE internet will collapse. Practically anything anyone posts is copywrited by someone, so why aren't they just trying to ban the internet? :|
yes, which makes the bill redundant - because doing so is already illegal. most people just don't bother to enforce it. they can pass a hundred of these, it would make it any easier to enforce

not that this bill matters in any way whatsoever. it only applies to the US. anybody can just post copyrighted stuff on a host not based in the US and they can't do anything about it
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
07-09-2011, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes85 View Post
Erm.... not to nitpick here or anything but technically its already illegal to post copyrighted material on the internet unless you own the copyright

its just that most sites don't enforce it unless they get a complaint about it

and the problem is in the enforcement. they can pass a hundred of these bills, it won't make any difference in actually stopping it. theres too many ways around it and not even remotely enough manpower to try to do anything about it
I'd read up more on Fair Use lawssince that's the loophole.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:41 PM.