Lt. Commander
# 521
07-10-2011, 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zordar View Post

Yeah, we get you don't like the idea. You can stop doing this. Or better yet, start a thread of your own in the Bridge Officer section detailing your BOff training ideas.

Z
No need to post it in the Boff thread since it has been one of those ideas that have been around since the beginning. I provided constructive criticism and concerns about your problem with not trusting people with training Boffs. If you don't want to treat it as constructive criticism, then fine.

Star Trek fans are rather critical about things making sense in the game. Sure there are certain things where fun must take priority over making sense, but as a whole STO makes sense as far as being in a Star Trek universe. So the question is does your idea make sense or does it keep the game fun. If the devs said that there is no way to transfer current Boffs to the reserve roster and special Doff trainers are the only way, then it will be keeping the game fun and I would accept it as everything else that doesn't make sense, but keeps the game fun.

I am done providing constructive criticism on this issue.
Lt. Commander
# 522
07-10-2011, 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallurgist
Well that stinks... spoilers in black text:

Both sides are already aware that the Undine are responsible for the war between the Federation and the Klingon Empire. What's more, both sides are also aware that the Iconians are responsible for misleading the Undine into thinking that the Alpha Quadrant species are a threat and should be infiltrated to be turned against eachother. Both sides know the war is a farce. I don't know about the Undine but who cares, they aren't playable

SO KISS AND MAKE UP ALREADY!
The logical thing in terms of story progression is that they have to continue the war, if only as a farce. The Undine are using their cloak and dagger tactics because they believe that this dimension's lifeforms are weak. If the Federation and Klingon war were to cease and peace reestablished, it's more likely that the Undine would begin a more concentrated effort on our region.

This would (fictionally) mean that the Undine would dedicate their entire force, not this paltry showing that they have in the Pelia sector. They would send fleets of their ships en masse to wipe out all of the Alpha Quadrant, the kind that wiped out entire Borg Fleets and even planets.

We've seen how they behave in their own space, and we know what they're capable of. It's probable that Section 31 and Klingon Intelligence both know this, and are keeping up the "war" in order to develop a strategy to combat the Undine. Until then, the war continues.

Of course in reality, as Darren_Kitlor mentioned, war is good for business.
Lt. Commander
# 523
07-10-2011, 09:16 PM
The information about the Undine and Iconians are a closely guarded secret. Release that information to all of Starfleet and there would be utter chaos. If Starfleet releases that information, they would have to remove all Undine first. This Federation-Klingon war seems more like a cold war than an actual war. Get to LC 8 and Klingons are no longer an issue for Feds.
Lt. Commander
# 524
07-10-2011, 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
The information about the Undine and Iconians are a closely guarded secret. Release that information to all of Starfleet and there would be utter chaos. If Starfleet releases that information, they would have to remove all Undine first. This Federation-Klingon war seems more like a cold war than an actual war. Get to LC 8 and Klingons are no longer an issue for Feds.
If the Undine also knew that they were tricked... Seriously, honesty is the best policy...

As welcome as this DOFF stuff is, I'm just kind of disappointed at the idea that Klingons will be able to enter Sirius Sector Block but won't be able to do anything tangible while there. It would be awesome to be able to form group between the factions.

Some form of betrayal system might even work... Closely guarded secret my butt... half the fleet's captains know just from field experience.
Lt. Commander
# 525
07-10-2011, 11:25 PM
I just read the first 5 postings and WOW!!!
I hope that the DOFF system will become a BIG part of STO and gets expanded continously.

You guys should have made the DOFF system to be the main part of season 4 and not Ground Combat 2.0.

Can't wait to see it ingame.

Live long and prosper.
Lt. Commander
# 526
07-10-2011, 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nPoon
The logical thing in terms of story progression is that they have to continue the war, if only as a farce. The Undine are using their cloak and dagger tactics because they believe that this dimension's lifeforms are weak. If the Federation and Klingon war were to cease and peace reestablished, it's more likely that the Undine would begin a more concentrated effort on our region.

This would (fictionally) mean that the Undine would dedicate their entire force, not this paltry showing that they have in the Pelia sector. They would send fleets of their ships en masse to wipe out all of the Alpha Quadrant, the kind that wiped out entire Borg Fleets and even planets.

We've seen how they behave in their own space, and we know what they're capable of. It's probable that Section 31 and Klingon Intelligence both know this, and are keeping up the "war" in order to develop a strategy to combat the Undine. Until then, the war continues.

Of course in reality, as Darren_Kitlor mentioned, war is good for business.
That's a funny thought. PRETEND to continue the war to catch the Iconians and Undine offguard but secretly be allies faking battles. Not sure about that but interesting.
Lt. Commander
# 527
07-11-2011, 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
I think it would be more interesting to release it. We liive with fear, with live with uncertainty. Certainty is weakness. Fear makes us strong. That's a much more Trek way of dealing with the idea.

No Orwellian attempts to conceal the truth. No paranoid security measures. Just a situation where everybody knows it and refuses to let it influence them.
Lt. Commander
# 528
07-11-2011, 12:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
That's a funny thought. PRETEND to continue the war to catch the Iconians and Undine offguard but secretly be allies faking battles. Not sure about that but interesting.
If you can't beat them, stall them... unless you enjoy speaking Undine or 011000100110100101101110011000010111001001111001. :p
Lt. Commander
# 529
07-11-2011, 01:23 AM
Sorry if some of my questions have already be answered, but 53 Pages are a bit to much to read right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
Duty OfficersWe are also planning on making sure they are available directly or indirectly through PvP.
Why only PvP?
Would it be possible to make DOFFs availlable through doing Foundry or exploration misions (like doing 2 or 3 missions to get a random DOFF), not everybody likes PvP.

Quote:
OMG this sounds complicated...
No, it sounds like fun !!!

Quote:
Bridge officers will be able to "eat" duty officers of their own branch to learn those duty officer's passive abilities. (Fictionally, think of it as the duty officers are joining that bridge officer's staff.)
Wow, how cool is that !!

Again as i said, i can't wait until it arrives Holodeck!

Btw. When is it going to hit holodeck?

Live long and prosper.
Lt. Commander
# 530
07-11-2011, 01:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yreodred
[color="DarkOrange"]Why only PvP?
Would it be possible to make DOFFs availlable through doing Foundry or exploration misions (like doing 2 or 3 missions to get a random DOFF), not everybody likes PvP.

Btw. When is it going to hit holodeck?
Not only PvP, we just want to provide an alternate methods to access some of the mechanics of the system.

As for when it will hit live, with luck about a month after it hits Tribble; we have not formally committed to a date for when it will come out onto Tribble.