Lt. Commander
# 31
07-06-2011, 11:54 PM
I'm all for reducing tactical team effectiveness, but then manual shield distribution has either to be toggle (for sides) or its rate drastically increased. What currently TT does, is helping slow turning ships to still shield tank. I both hate and love tactical team, for obvious reason. But then again, majority of people do not have idea about this, as they avoid slow turning ships like teenager ugly women....
Lt. Commander
# 32 Hargh'Peng Torpedoes....
07-09-2011, 01:10 AM
While I've been playing in Season 4's PVP.. I think there's something that is more PVE related really but it's the Hargh'peng Torpedo that has really just been enough of an annoyance that I'm really starting to dislike them. It's not that they are Over Powered, it's that they are just so easy to get, centralized around a fed mission that only the Feds can access, and despite the fact that Hazard emitters can Clear it, once you've used it, it doesn't stop another Peng.. and another Peng.. and another Peng from hitting you and stacking their DoT And final Explosion on you.. It's just so mind numbingly stupid in my opinion of the way things are settled in Star Trek Online.

I mean sure if the Klingon Empire had gotten them at the same time as the Federation, they'd be more common place, and I'm sure I'd have used one or two on various builds, but with the Frequency of the ability to launch the darn things and stack up the Debuff, they can be quite the nuscance.

Honestly, I'd love to see one of two things done to HArpengs.
1: Longer cool down. Make it take longer to fire them.
2: Unique, 1 per ship.

It wouldn't make them useless, but it would at least help reduce how often you get hit with Peng procs and have to deal with that nonsense.
Lt. Commander
# 33
07-10-2011, 12:46 AM
Perhaps having Quantum Torpedoes - Federation Only, and have Hargh'Pengs be the Klingon equivalent?
Lt. Commander
# 34
07-11-2011, 01:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
Perhaps having Quantum Torpedoes - Federation Only, and have Hargh'Pengs be the Klingon equivalent?
That's not kind of equal. ....why not remove the pengs from pvp ? :p
Lt. Commander
# 35
07-11-2011, 01:29 AM
Can't argue with that. :p
Lt. Commander
# 36
07-11-2011, 03:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalnar
That's not kind of equal. ....why not remove the pengs from pvp ? :p
This would certainly be the easy solution to all these special device powers.
Lt. Commander
# 37
07-12-2011, 07:12 AM
Forgive me if I am missing something, but what has changed about SS since last December? I used to get literally laughed at for bringing SS2 or 3 into a PvP match, people would say they just looked the other way (camera in game) and watched the pretty green light show, then went back to manually targetting things. I was repeatedly told that it was a totally useless skill to use in a PvP match.

Now, it seems like every single PvP thread has a gripe about how OP SS is. What happened? I looked through all the patch notes and didn't see anything about changes to it. Did everyone forget how to deal with it in the last 6-7 months? Or did Cryptic buff the ability?
Lt. Commander
# 38
07-12-2011, 07:25 AM
I don't remember when exactly, but I thought it did get a buff some time ago. I don't believe that it was always tied to Aux levels and the target jumping seems different from what I recall. Aside from that though:
  • Scramble Sensors can cause abilities like Evasive Maneuvers to fail (frequent with SS3, but seen with SS2)
  • Can not be reliably cleared (How did my Sci team beam over to that mine? The console is right there!)
  • Can last around 30 seconds or more (that's a pretty crazy length of time for an AoE debuff)
  • It's a probe but it ignores the usual 90 degree arc
Lt. Commander
# 39
07-12-2011, 07:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHale View Post
I don't remember when exactly, but I thought it did get a buff some time ago. I don't believe that it was always tied to Aux levels and the target jumping seems different from what I recall. Aside from that though:
  • Scramble Sensors can cause abilities like Evasive Maneuvers to fail (frequent with SS3, but seen with SS2)
  • Can not be reliably cleared (How did my Sci team beam over to that mine? The console is right there!)
  • Can last around 30 seconds or more (that's a pretty crazy length of time for an AoE debuff)
  • It's a probe but it ignores the usual 90 degree arc
It was tied to Aux back in Dec, I remember when the whole sci ability=aux patch hit.

If you did not target yourself manually before hitting Sci Team it would sometimes jump to another target on your screen as far back as I can remember. No change there, just had to either make sure nothing else was visible on camera or target yourself first.

30 secs is specced at max aux, again, no change since 7 months ago.

The only one I'm not sure about is the arc issue, but I seem to remember firing it at 360 deg back then as well. I also don't remember it causing any abilities to straight up fail, but that sounds like a bug more than the ability to me.
Lt. Commander
# 40
07-12-2011, 07:40 AM
I suspect that there were bigger fish to fry (FAW and spam have been on the front burners for a while). Sometimes broken or OP mechanics aren't entirely obvious right away either. Z-axis tanking to exploit the cannon blind spot has been around as long as the game, same with logging out at red alert to avoid defeat. I suppose things need to explode before people take up arms against it.

Whatever the reason for the delay and/or spike in complaints, that doesn't have anything to do with the fact that some stuff needs fixing.