Lt. Commander
# 11
07-06-2011, 01:25 PM
i played all the Borg STF's in PUG's.

Infected realy is the most fun, because it is nice pew pew most of the time and it doesn't take forever.

The Cure was easy too, but i found the map to be visually ugly and the respawn points made you run through the map for half an hour.

Kithomer Accord was by far the worst, we had bugs, disconnects, the whole team had to jump out of the map multiple times because we were separated and stuff like that.
It took us 5 hours to complete that one and the leader had gone on youtube to check for a tutorial how to get that middle part with the forcefields done...

so even with a completely inexperienced group that does not use any Voice Chat and with a Leader who had done the mission only some months ago, with some updates and changes in the meantime and he did not remember everything and we still did it.
I was mostly surprised that nobody skipped out on the team after 3 hours.

But that was just exhausting, Kithomer Accord really could be split into 2 STF's and it would still be long enough to fill an afternoon.
Lt. Commander
# 12
07-06-2011, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruivo
Hmm, interesting. I might sign up for that fleet.

All other fleets i checked so far had rules that i wasn't confortable with. Too many complications.

On games like EVE Online all these complications are a must.. since losing something on EVE means losing it for good. But STO is a laid back game, so players and groups should be laid back as well.

Just one question though. Also, i won't wear fleet uniform! xD First thing i did as soon as i installed the assimilated borg engines was turn off the effects lol.. there's no beating canon art imho.
If you're talking about FF, we don't require fleet uniforms. We'll put them on for meet & greets/pics etc. but thats all.
Lt. Commander
# 13
07-06-2011, 11:10 PM
...and now he's got the whole set! Grats to Ruivo for completing the Borg STFs. Had a a lot of fun teaming up, and look forward to more runs in the future
Lt. Commander
# 14
07-07-2011, 12:42 AM
Hehe, yes i do. Surprised to see how there are people who are quite skilled yet at the same time so willing to help others. It really is quite inspiring. Now that i have my set, looking forward to help other people in getting theirs!

Say NO to soloable STF's
Lt. Commander
# 15
07-07-2011, 04:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruivo
Hehe, yes i do. Surprised to see how there are people who are quite skilled yet at the same time so willing to help others. It really is quite inspiring. Now that i have my set, looking forward to help other people in getting theirs!

Say NO to soloable STF's
I've run a few STFs with people who required ventrilo. I can't say I had any teenagers screaming at the other end. Mainly 20+ years old focusing on teamwork.

Star Trek Online's community is vastly superior to World of ********'s. People are mature and willing to give help to anyone that asks.
Lt. Commander
# 16
07-07-2011, 04:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefrayl View Post
Absolutely. Some STF buddies and I in Federation Fleet help out players like this quite often. I just took 3 new KDF players through Infected on the 4th, and 2 new to STF FED players through Cure lastnight. You're welcome to come along or join if you need help with any of them.

I know there are a number of other people here who go out of their way to help people with these missions as well.
What he said ^^^^.

I joined FF a few months back at the suggestion of a friend who was already a member and as a complete STF noob, have been helped through Infected and The Cure. Voice comms are not required, just a good leader and a willingness to listen / read instructions and learn.

I often see players forming groups to play STF missions in Federation Fleet's chat channel and one of these days, I'll get around to doing the rest of them myself but I tend to spend most of my time in game hiding out KDF side PvPing.
Lt. Commander
# 17
07-08-2011, 01:16 PM
This is such an inspiring post!

Maybe I'll hop on and try to get one of my V. Admirals or Lt. Generals a few Borg pieces later. I have an aversion to the larger group stuff on account of I don't like wasting someone else's time, but with that kind fo a helpful community maybe I could learn it myself - and then it wouldn't be such a waste.

You guys in this thread are awesome.
Lt. Commander
# 18
07-08-2011, 02:40 PM
Congratulations on completing Infected!

Voice chat is a really nice tool, for whatever game you're playing. I do understand the desire for not having someone screaching in your ear, yelling at you, insulting you, etc. One reason I was unintersted in using Ventrilo or Teamspeak some time back, is that all of the Obnoxious things people said on Halo really turned me off. Anything from the Marines who swore way too much at little children, or the obnoxious little children who spouted every vile thing that they could think of.

That being said, like any group you can always leave. I'm glad the game is going to have Vivox (I can't get the sound to work on it, but people are hearing me apparently) as an option. There are things which can be explained so much easier with words, than by having to type and give ourselves carpal tunnel. To this day I still team with new players who go silent mode, and some times it can be a joy because they listen, and at other times players simply just run amok, or follow some strategy that they saw one time or heard about on a forum, without realizing that our team has its own strategy. Too many Captains and only one ship. Bear in mind I have no problem following the lead, its simply a matter of everyone being on the same page.

The reason voice chat can be so powerful is that it helps to get people on the same page far more rapidly, and with less strain on wrists and fingers. The nice thing is, once players have done these STF's as a group for a while, almost nothing needs to be said at all. Everyone just does what needs to be done. So in short, I'm saying try not to feel too put off by players wanting to chat. I have been on both sides of the fence. Ventrilo is even better within a fleet, or under the banner of multiple friendships/alliances of fleets.

At that point it becomes as much about socialization as about getting the job done in pvp, fleet actions and STF's. I'm fairly certain that a number of the things I've learned about STO would have taken me far longer to pick up, had I not had the vocal interaction with other players. Ideas are simply communicated far more rapidly and easily in this medium.

In short, I respect your desire to 'keep it quiet', but voice has its place, and a very nice one I might add.
Lt. Commander
# 19 @mindmage is a decent dude
07-08-2011, 02:57 PM
I was on a fleet with @mindmage at one time. He was even then as a recruit a fine fellow! Well done brother. (Lithandor)
Lt. Commander
# 20
07-13-2011, 08:55 AM
Glad you had a pleasant first experience. My own attempts to do this content have all been 'miserable'.