Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
I've been playing STO since it launched and I'm "suddenly" having trouble with data (samples & particles) farming for a couple of months now. By that I mean I've been searching for the following:

Chronometric particle trace and Vertion particle trace.

The farming guide (from these forums) I used to follow seemed pretty accurate up unto recently. It is at http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=115026.

To be clear, I've spent literally hours every few days for months now looking in all the suggested areas and I'm about at my wits end. I simply can't locate Chronometric PT or Vertion PT.

Fellow STOers, can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?:

PS- I farmed B'tran Cluster at VA hundreds of time now, with no luck as regards these PTs!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
07-14-2011, 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman1701 View Post
I've been playing STO since it launched and I'm "suddenly" having trouble with data (samples & particles) farming for a couple of months now. By that I mean I've been searching for the following:

Chronometric particle trace and Vertion particle trace.

The farming guide (from these forums) I used to follow seemed pretty accurate up unto recently. It is at http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=115026.

To be clear, I've spent literally hours every few days for months now looking in all the suggested areas and I'm about at my wits end. I simply can't locate Chronometric PT or Vertion PT.

Fellow STOers, can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?:

PS- I farmed B'tran Cluster at VA hundreds of time now, with no luck as regards these PTs!
The 'rare' trace drops are 100% random - so no matter where you farm for anomolies, unfortunately it's all up to the random number generator and the two you listed seem to be the rarest in my experience too (regardless of Dev claims to the contrary.)

Just have to scan and hope.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
07-14-2011, 11:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
The 'rare' trace drops are 100% random - so no matter where you farm for anomolies, unfortunately it's all up to the random number generator and the two you listed seem to be the rarest in my experience too (regardless of Dev claims to the contrary.)

Just have to scan and hope.
That is what I am afraid of too. After a couple of months and doing almost nothing but farming for those two PTs I can say that they clearly are too rare to find in my case. I was on vacation and played quite a bit over an 8 day period looking for both. Found nothing of either and I can tell you it is very frustrating. I too have seen comments about similar experiences to mine here and elsewhere. Thanks for your input, helps me with my decision to give STO a break for a while. Here is to hoping that when I come back, this VA can locate the materials he needs in order to craft, after weeks and weeks of farming for them.

Color me: NOT AMUSED.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
07-14-2011, 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
The 'rare' trace drops are 100% random - so no matter where you farm for anomolies, unfortunately it's all up to the random number generator and the two you listed seem to be the rarest in my experience too (regardless of Dev claims to the contrary.)

Just have to scan and hope.
I just have to laugh. As soon as I posted this I found a Vertion PT in the Edidan Belt. Been there over and over for months. Apparently the STO Gods have a cruel sense of humor.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
07-14-2011, 11:47 PM
A tip: your probability of finding a rare trace scales with your AUX power setting. The more power you divert to AUX when you scan, the more likely you will find rare traces.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
07-14-2011, 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiClari View Post
A tip: your probability of finding a rare trace scales with your AUX power setting. The more power you divert to AUX when you scan, the more likely you will find rare traces.
Really? I will certainly try that! I'll try ANYTHING at this point!

LLAP
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
07-14-2011, 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman1701 View Post
Many thanks, I will certainly try that! I'll try ANYTHING at this point!
Umm, yeah. The Aux thing is plain nonsense. But you know what they´re saying, the thought is what counts.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
07-15-2011, 12:06 AM
Yeah, it is entirely random and has absolutely no bearing on your power settings.

I tend to agree that they have become FAR more rare in a patch since then, as I've been trying to collect them in anticipation of the eventual Level Cap increase.

Between February and April I managed to acrue through scanning approximately 20 Chronometric particle traces, and 10 Vertion.

Since I started gathering supplies for my stash in June, I have acrued barely 8 Chronometric traces and 4 Vertions.

The only way I can explain such a massive discrepency (it's halved, essentially) in roughly the same period of time is if the rate at which they are dropped has been seriously reduced. The odds of which you will get are probably still random, but I have definately noticed that they are harder to find.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
07-15-2011, 12:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashur1
Umm, yeah. The Aux thing is plain nonsense. But you know what they´re saying, the thought is what counts.
If pure thought and sheer volume of time spent in STO on farming accounted for anything at all (and let us face it, TIME and EFFORT for "rare" items should) I'd be neck deep in the aforementioned. Only not so much. After a quick search regarding said "aux scaling" I am inclined to say it is nonsense. So maybe CC should not LLAP? Or................still color me: NOT AMUSED.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
07-15-2011, 12:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman1701 View Post
If pure thought and sheer volume of time spent in STO on farming accounted for anything at all (and let us face it, TIME and EFFORT for "rare" items should) I'd be neck deep in the aforementioned. Only not so much. Still color me: NOT AMUSED.
It is totally random, though many ground maps are broken in that the scanning-minigame doesn´t affect the drops. Happens in space sometimes as well. This is more frequent on the KDF it seems, for no apparent reasons.

I managed to get 0 rare particles while scanning like 40 anomalies, and on the next day I find 3 Chronos and 1 Vertion in a row, in the same system.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:29 AM.