Lt. Commander
So, I'm experimenting on tribble with the new "Y relative to" feature, which is great for authors building stuff on maps that have uneven terrain. You can set Y relative to zero altitude and it creates a stand y, making 0 an exact place in the sky regardless of the terrain underneath it.

However, I can't seem to figure out how Y relative to geometry differs from y relative to zero altitude. The results seem identical to me.

Can someone please explain the difference?
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-14-2011, 01:55 PM
i know one of them works well on maps that have a high starting point of y.

i cant remember which is which but take the vulcan map as a good example. the starting point of the map is on the steps at the top. every thing you place on the map at '0' starts off in the air and some may fall down to the ground. (ie mobs of enemies) one of the 2 options makes everything spawn on the actual ground below regardless of the maps default y location. (i think its relative to geometry). its only really noticable on maps which are very uneven.

i think the other (relative to terrain) is just the standard position like we have pre S4. you just spawn at the maps default y position.

again i may have got those mixed up but at least that is what i can work out.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-14-2011, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
i know one of them works well on maps that have a high starting point of y.

i cant remember which is which but take the vulcan map as a good example. the starting point of the map is on the steps at the top. every thing you place on the map at '0' starts off in the air and some may fall down to the ground. (ie mobs of enemies) one of the 2 options makes everything spawn on the actual ground below regardless of the maps default y location. (i think its relative to geometry). its only really noticable on maps which are very uneven.

i think the other (relative to terrain) is just the standard position like we have pre S4. you just spawn at the maps default y position.

again i may have got those mixed up but at least that is what i can work out.
thanks, I'll test on Vulcan. I don't notice any difference on the map that I'm using now with is a hills map.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-15-2011, 03:41 PM
I'm curious how well this works on interior maps. One of the biggest problems I've had is getting things lined up relative to the ground when the "ground" is littered with crates and ramps and other junk. However I can imagine a relative to some absolute could be even worse when I can't tell where that absolute is on a multi-level interior map.

The map for the Badlands mission, that one with the runabout in a bay with a view of space, that one is very challenging to work with. The storage bay area is incredibly painful to try and figure out, and with the map going up and down, figuring out where the ground even is, relative to an absolute seems like a very rough prospect.

But to be clear I haven't played with this new feature yet.