Lt. Commander
# 21
07-18-2011, 07:47 PM
Very nice guide. I liked reading it. I agreed with a lot of your sentiments about the ground changes in general and also about experimenting to find what works for you best. Prior to S4, I had all my boffs using sniper rifles. That still works okay, but via experimenting, I've found that using multiple weapon types suits me much better. Specifically, I gave two boffs assault rifles, one a shotgun, one a high density beam rifle, and I kept my sniper rifle. It seems to me that the DPS a weapon does is king now; so I don't worry about having too many expose vs exploit weapons on my team.

I do have a suggestion about the Borg section, though. I have always targeted the tactical drones first. I do this for two reasons: Borg move very slowly and they do pitiful damage in melee. For those two reasons, I never worry about regular drones by themselves - they can't assimilate you without help because they can't reach you and even if they could, they don't do enough damage to drop your health below the assimilation threshold (assuming you use hypos or a medic boff to heal yourself).

When they have tactical drones as back up, however, that changes. The tac drones do decent damage at range, which means they can soften you up for the regular drones to assimilate you. That's why I pick the tactical drones first. They're the ones that can fight back and they're the ones that can actually hurt you. Negate that threat and the regular drones can be mopped up at leisure (or you can taunt them by taking five steps back every time they take one - try it, it's good fun).
Lt. Commander
# 22
07-18-2011, 08:23 PM
An excellent thread thank you and your contributors for your hard work . I very much enjoyed reading it. I particularly like the Enemy analysis, I don't think I have ever seen that before. Also very cool that you tied it in with Mist's thread . I do hope AA will get through this rough patch, and come back. >.<

I wonder what Wishy will do O_o?
Lt. Commander
# 23
07-18-2011, 09:13 PM
Hey Captain_Collier,

Good work with your OP, when you talk about CAMT, I advise editing that section and adding in that the default key bind to quickly order "Crew Attack My Target" is Y.

Press Y in RPG mode or Shooter mode and your Bridge Officers (BOffs) will attack your target.
Lt. Commander
# 24
07-18-2011, 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecto View Post
Hey Captain_Collier,

Good work with your OP, when you talk about CAMT, I advise editing that section and adding in that the default key bind to quickly order "Crew Attack My Target" is Y.

Press Y in RPG mode or Shooter mode and your Bridge Officers (BOffs) will attack your target.
And in addition, it might also be useful to point out that this can now actually be dragged onto your power tray, allowing it to be activated from there (larger button than the AT list).

Also, thanks for the great guide, I'm sure I'll use it to my advantage selecting the Mk XI gear for my Klingon characters.
Lt. Commander
# 25
07-19-2011, 06:28 AM
Great Post. Thanks for putting this together!
Lt. Commander
# 26 Thanks!
07-19-2011, 12:52 PM
This was uber helpful. I didn't know about the Remodulators and was slowly bludgeoning Borg to death with my rifle butt.
Lt. Commander
# 27
07-19-2011, 03:31 PM
@ TantalusOmega your strategy can work quite well, particularly if you have the firepower to take down the stronger Heavy/Elite Tactical Drones fairly quickly but it can be quite risky. Since all Borg can Assimilate I feel it's prudent to reduce the number of targets that can Assimilate you as swiftly as possible, especially as Drones are quite squishy. You're right about the Drones not being able to do enough damage to Assimilate you but they can do enough to your Bridge Officers particularly if two or more are attacking them. On the same note, your Bridge Officers tend to focus their healing skills on your Captain and use hypo's far too indescriminately to keep their HP out of the danger zone all of the time.

Sorry, kinda started rambling, I do that, often. Anyways your strategy is certainly valid and mine is in no way gospel so others may find your way best. I still need to get some other Races in the Enemy Analysis posts but if I have space in the post after I've squeezed them in I'll put your idea up as an alternate strategy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrawfo View Post
This was uber helpful. I didn't know about the Remodulators and was slowly bludgeoning Borg to death with my rifle butt.
Yeah I did that the first time too, it was like "First Contact", I just heard Picard shout "Fight hand to hand if you have to!" and started showing Drones the non-business end of my rifle. If your gonna have voices inyour head, Picard is not a bad way to go, or the one that keeps nagging me about Karen Gillan, I like that one as well.

Anyways, new stuff! A real question for the Q&A, not funny but good. Added Nausicaans to enemy analysis, covered up some of my blonde moments, don't think anyone noticed those... and a big one:-

I was wrong, WRONG, people! About the HP level Borg need to reduce you to before they can Assimilate you, it is not 10% so I torched all my old testing notes on the subject, which was on another computer so that was more expensive than it needed to be. I need to do more testing on it but it appears to be nearer to 20% HP befoere they can Assimilate so be careful.
Lt. Commander
# 28
07-20-2011, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrawfo View Post
I think (emphasis on the THINK part) that even if the Borg have adapted to your weapons, you still do a tiny amount of damage with the primary/secondary fires without remodulating. It can be useful if that drone you were firing at adapted to your weapon right before he was about to die. I could be wrong, though. Sometimes it's hard to tell with my Boffs firing off shots in every direction at multiple drones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Collier
@ TantalusOmega your strategy can work quite well, particularly if you have the firepower to take down the stronger Heavy/Elite Tactical Drones fairly quickly but it can be quite risky. Since all Borg can Assimilate I feel it's prudent to reduce the number of targets that can Assimilate you as swiftly as possible, especially as Drones are quite squishy. You're right about the Drones not being able to do enough damage to Assimilate you but they can do enough to your Bridge Officers particularly if two or more are attacking them. On the same note, your Bridge Officers tend to focus their healing skills on your Captain and use hypo's far too indescriminately to keep their HP out of the danger zone all of the time.

Sorry, kinda started rambling, I do that, often. Anyways your strategy is certainly valid and mine is in no way gospel so others may find your way best. I still need to get some other Races in the Enemy Analysis posts but if I have space in the post after I've squeezed them in I'll put your idea up as an alternate strategy.
Fair enough. It does take a fair amount of firepower, yes, which isn't too hard as a tac captain. Sci or Eng captains might have more trouble. No matter what I go up against, I always open with a photon grenade, which helps tons. And yeah, I've noticed that Boffs use hyposprays like candy. That's why I don't give them any. I have yet to see any of my Boffs ever get assimilated, but that doesn't mean it couldn't have happened while I wasn't looking (in truth, the only times I've ever been assimilated was when I left my Boffs behind on Tribble specifically so I could get assimilated and test the feature - otherwise, my team would wipe out the Borg before they got the chance). In general, I've found it pretty hard to get assimilated, but other players' mileage may vary.
Lt. Commander
# 29
07-20-2011, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TantalusOmega
I think (emphasis on the THINK part) that even if the Borg have adapted to your weapons, you still do a tiny amount of damage with the primary/secondary fires without remodulating. It can be useful if that drone you were firing at adapted to your weapon right before he was about to die. I could be wrong, though. Sometimes it's hard to tell with my Boffs firing off shots in every direction at multiple drones. .
You do 1 damage with energy weapons once a Borg has adapted to your attacks. If they're nearly dead you can always give them a slap to finish them off. I think I need to rewrite the Borg section to be a bit clearer about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TantalusOmega
Fair enough. It does take a fair amount of firepower, yes, which isn't too hard as a tac captain. Sci or Eng captains might have more trouble. No matter what I go up against, I always open with a photon grenade, which helps tons. And yeah, I've noticed that Boffs use hyposprays like candy. That's why I don't give them any. I have yet to see any of my Boffs ever get assimilated, but that doesn't mean it couldn't have happened while I wasn't looking (in truth, the only times I've ever been assimilated was when I left my Boffs behind on Tribble specifically so I could get assimilated and test the feature - otherwise, my team would wipe out the Borg before they got the chance). In general, I've found it pretty hard to get assimilated, but other players' mileage may vary.
It shouldn't really happen on normal difficulty after you've gained a bit of experiance. It's your fault, you make 'em go boom too fast . The higher the difficulty the higher the chances of it happening and while it varies, having a Boff assimilated rarely ends well for you.

Photon grenades are pretty sweet. I usually play my Sci so I open with whatever Thermal Vent is called now and have my Tac Boff chuck a grenade, not much left standing after that. I'm all about explodies on my Tac toon now though
Lt. Commander
# 30
07-25-2011, 09:59 AM
Captain_Collier,

Thank you for the entertaining and informative Guide. I will certainly share it amongst my peers.

P.S. I too have an appreciation for the delightful Ms. Gillan. I mean really, who wouldn't?