Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Lt. Commander
# 31
07-19-2011, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_86
The Ambassador class was used in the TNG eras too. (Wolf 559 and the klingon border blockade spring to mind) So that makes the Ambassador a good platform too
I wasn't disagreeing with you. Merely pointing out that the ship being a "newer" design doesn't really effect anything.

From a technological standpoint, as long as there is space and support for new equipment and the structural components can handle the strain there is nothing stopping a car/ship/plane/etc. from being in service for 100+ years. We're actually coming close to that with even 20th Century materials and construction. The B-52 bomber is slated to be in service till 2040-ish, which will be 85 years. The Nimitz Class carriers will be in service beyond 2025, putting them at 50+ years.

The point I'm trying to make with all this is that we should really look at the Ambassador from a size and capability standpoint rather than age of design. Ambassador is smaller and less capable than the Captain-level Galaxy, so in my mind it would be a nice fit at Commander level. Also, since many people seem to be put off by the current 4 nacelle cruiser designs I believe it would serve as a nice replacement.
Lt. Commander
# 32
07-19-2011, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsaris View Post
I wasn't disagreeing with you. Merely pointing out that the ship being a "newer" design doesn't really effect anything.

From a technological standpoint, as long as there is space and support for new equipment and the structural components can handle the strain there is nothing stopping a car/ship/plane/etc. from being in service for 100+ years. We're actually coming close to that with even 20th Century materials and construction. The B-52 bomber is slated to be in service till 2040-ish, which will be 85 years. The Nimitz Class carriers will be in service beyond 2025, putting them at 50+ years.

The point I'm trying to make with all this is that we should really look at the Ambassador from a size and capability standpoint rather than age of design. Ambassador is smaller and less capable than the Captain-level Galaxy, so in my mind it would be a nice fit at Commander level. Also, since many people seem to be put off by the current 4 nacelle cruiser designs I believe it would serve as a nice replacement.
I know! I was stating she was a good platform too! Therefore i would like her in game

I completely agree about making a commander level version, along with an RA version. Just like the Excelsior and refit.
Lt. Commander
# 33
07-19-2011, 12:49 PM
I hope its a skin and not an entirely new ship
Lt. Commander
# 34
07-19-2011, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffStavrosA.K.AParis
I hope its a skin and not an entirely new ship
I was just thinking perhaps we could have it as an alternate skin for the Heavy cruiser/Advanced heavy cruiser?

As long as she gets in game i will be happy!
Lt. Commander
# 35
07-19-2011, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_86
I was just thinking perhaps we could have it as an alternate skin for the Heavy cruiser/Advanced heavy cruiser?

As long as she gets in game i will be happy!
SURE! Another outdated ship outamaging the Sovereign, YEAH!
Lt. Commander
# 36
07-19-2011, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Dracon_Darknight View Post
SURE! Another outdated ship outamaging the Sovereign, YEAH!
No offense but im really sick of hearing this same tired line, its a game get over it. The sov takes a beating its my cruiser of choice. It makes sense to me that the excel comes in swinging hard then gets knocked the hell out while the sov comes in and does considerable damage while staying on its feet.

No one said that starfleet decided to go for burst damage over sustainable damage on that ship. Yes its newer so what? Ive seen old classic cars stomp the ever loving hell out of a brand new car in a race. But it doesnt make them more durable or handle better.
Lt. Commander
# 37
07-19-2011, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JToney3449 View Post
No offense but im really sick of hearing this same tired line, its a game get over it. The sov takes a beating its my cruiser of choice. It makes sense to me that the excel comes in swinging hard then gets knocked the hell out while the sov comes in and does considerable damage while staying on its feet.

No one said that starfleet decided to go for burst damage over sustainable damage on that ship. Yes its newer so what? Ive seen old classic cars stomp the ever loving hell out of a brand new car in a race. But it doesnt make them more durable or handle better.
Seconded! Just because the devs may have got the seating wrong on the sovvy. Doesnt mean any new ships coming have to be crippled!
Lt. Commander
# 38
07-19-2011, 02:43 PM
If they do bring this ship in it will hopefully be at T3 for Cruisers as just a normal ship, no silly special abilities or any reason to make players have to pay extra energy credits to get if it fhey want it instead of one of those god awful 4 nacelled monsters. Would like to see them add this with the Excelsior, but make it so that your ship token works on the Excelsior. Take away the Transwarp function and the extra BO and consoles for the normal Excelsior and let the players use it for free, C-store is making plenty of money on the retrofit T5 version as is. There is no way that players should have to pony up 50,000+ energy credits for wanting to fly a ship that doesn't look like a giant POS at the Cmdr level.

Put the Excelsior in as normal T3 along with the Ambassador and then leave one of the 4 nacelled cruisers with the 3 skins so any of the people who actually like those ships can still use them. That way you can fly the "Enterprise" at each tier level.
Lt. Commander
# 39
07-19-2011, 04:09 PM
While I'm repeating my notion that it's nice they give older ships some representation, it's annoying me to high heaven that their additions are coming at the expense of new ships.

This game is supposed to be set in 2409.

NX Class: 260 years old
Constitution: 170 years old
Excelsior: 130 years old
Ambassador: 80 years old

And yes, even my beloved Sovereign can be piled on to the heap at 40 years old. (2370)

Honestly... Yes, everyone has their favourite ship, but why the heck are we still dordling in the 24th (and 23rd!!) century, when this entire game is screaming to move forward in to the 25th?

I'd personally love to see Cryptic make new classes as a matter of priority (and do them well, for pete's sake) with any spare time being given over to the Warhorses.
Lt. Commander
# 40
07-19-2011, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koppenflak
This game is supposed to be set in 2409.

NX Class: 260 years old
Constitution: 170 years old
Excelsior: 130 years old
Ambassador: 80 years old

And yes, even my beloved Sovereign can be piled on to the heap at 40 years old. (2370)

Honestly... Yes, everyone has their favourite ship, but why the heck are we still dordling in the 24th (and 23rd!!) century, when this entire game is screaming to move forward in to the 25th?
A lot of the older designs are meant to cater to an older generation of fans who prefer the classical looks to these new super-streamlined cruisers or awkward angular ships that look like crap was just tacked on with no purpose.

Personally I think all the CM level Cruisers look like crap, so I went with Excelsior... which is the sleekest of the "classic" ships. I look at a lot of these alternative designs and my mind goes "What were these people thinking?" The designers did an awesome job modernizing the Constitution class with Vesper and Excalibur. Why did the "modernizations" of the other classes go so wrong?