Lt. Commander
# 1 Tricorder Upgrade
07-13-2011, 07:15 AM
I tried on another forum but thought I would try here. Any chance of seeing these changes with the tricorders soon (I would like to see Devs response to this):

1. Tricorders match the race they belong too (Federation=Fed tricorders, Klingon=Klingon tricorders, etc.)
2. Scanning beams differentiating between life forms, anomolies, and areas of interest as well as distance to each.
3. Crafting abilities to allow for customizing Tricorders for specific purposes ... such as more tactical function for tactical officers, more science functions for science officers ... etc.)

Just some suggestions here as there are many others I could provide. My biggest change I would like to see would be being able to customize the function of a tricorder based on your career path. Episodes can have specific functions that need tricorder triggering ... so to speak ... in order to get past a certain puzzle. An example is the remastered Azura mission. It would have been cool to have a tactical officer have to use their tricorder and play a mini-game in order to vent plasma killing the invading Orion parties instead of just punching in at a console. This does not have to be fore already remastered episodes, but maybe for future ones. Perhaps the higher rank you get the more difficult the action can be (punching buttons vs. using a tricorder mini game instead). Just some ideas here.

Crafting could allow customization to allow the difficulty of completing the tricorder task easier, or add a special function that wouldn't be there normally. Again, just throwing out ideas. Anyone think tricorders should be upgraded? Maybe for Season 5 for Feds and Klingons?
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-13-2011, 05:14 PM
I like the idea of different Tricorders for everyone it'd be a cool change to the game. Also maybe add different types of Tricorders to some of the costume packages in the C-Store? After all the Bajorans use their own Tricorder, as do the Ferengi. So maybe if you purchase the Bajoran Militia outfit, or the Ferengi race addon from the C-Store it will give the option of using a unique tricorder as well. You could also add the TOS tricorder to the TOS package, the ENT ones to the ENT package and so on. Klingons definitely need their own though anything that helps make them more unique as a Faction is awesome in my book.
Also for reference here's a list of the different Tricorders from Memory Alpha:http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Tricorder
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-16-2011, 08:13 PM
Klingons have their own tricorder now. Although if you mean Orion and Gorn tricorders, then I doubt we will see that soon.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-20-2011, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierrafortune
I like the idea of different Tricorders for everyone it'd be a cool change to the game. Also maybe add different types of Tricorders to some of the costume packages in the C-Store? After all the Bajorans use their own Tricorder, as do the Ferengi. So maybe if you purchase the Bajoran Militia outfit, or the Ferengi race addon from the C-Store it will give the option of using a unique tricorder as well. You could also add the TOS tricorder to the TOS package, the ENT ones to the ENT package and so on. Klingons definitely need their own though anything that helps make them more unique as a Faction is awesome in my book.
Also for reference here's a list of the different Tricorders from Memory Alpha:http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Tricorder
I would love so much to have different selections of tricorders and communicators. (and even transporter effects.)

I very much like the idea of modified tricorders for each career. For example, a science officer might have a nemesis (palm pilot)-style tricorder (they would also use a little detachable hand scanner). An engineer would have perhaps a small antennae on their tricorder, something similar to the "Endgame" variant with lots of blinky LED bits. And a tactical officer I suppose would have a smaller compact, easy to use tricorder.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-20-2011, 09:47 PM
The best thing I think, would be to replace "kits" with tricorders.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have a medical tricorder than a medic kit? Or a combat tricorder for a tac?. Then the powers you have in your kit could be programs you download into your tricorder when you want to switch up. For balance reasons, you might download a package of powers rather than individual ones.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-22-2011, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun555 View Post
I would love so much to have different selections of tricorders and communicators. (and even transporter effects.)

I very much like the idea of modified tricorders for each career. For example, a science officer might have a nemesis (palm pilot)-style tricorder (they would also use a little detachable hand scanner). An engineer would have perhaps a small antennae on their tricorder, something similar to the "Endgame" variant with lots of blinky LED bits. And a tactical officer I suppose would have a smaller compact, easy to use tricorder.
I would like them to replace the existing tricorder with the Nemesis tricorder. It's been 40 years or so; it seems highly unlikely we'd still have the standard TNG tricorder. As for different variants, I have no problems with that. The Endgame variant does look pretty slick too.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-24-2011, 06:32 AM
So with the transition for Cryptic and announcement that they are able to focus more on game content, I wanted to try and see if the Devs are willing to comment on this thread yet. I am still hoping to get some sort of update on if Tricorders will be developed further, and whether crafting will be involved to change functionality. Any chance of seeing different skins for tricorders and different functions as mentioned in this thread?
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-27-2011, 08:53 AM
I have wanted upgraded tricorders and ship scanners for quite some time.

On ground missions, anomalies often lures you away from the objectives
and if you really don't want them you have no way to filter them out.
This is my main reason for an upgrade.

In space (and on ground also) i would like the minimap to plot arbitrary
positions of my scannings. If you see a pattern change in the plot you
probably have ships or lifeforms out there. Lets call this a longrange
scan.

As you move in closer, you probably will change to medium or short
range scans to determine precisely what you have in front of you.
Symbols on the minimap will now tell you what to expect and the angles
of the scanning beam will tell you elevation and bearing to it.

A new type of tricorder? A new type of console? Or a brand new
tree of skills? The way to solve it is in the hands of our devs but
I would prefer a skill-centric approach
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-27-2011, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
Klingons have their own tricorder now. Although if you mean Orion and Gorn tricorders, then I doubt we will see that soon.
Unless they're actually doing something with their tricorders that is a part of a mission, then Klingons still use Federation Tricorders.

(General scanning shows Klingon Tricorder, scanning anything as part of a mission, a being, plant, artifact, etc.. Still shows a Federation Tricorder as a part of the Animation.)
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-28-2011, 10:08 AM
I would love if tricorders became an item equipment slot on the paperdolls. Various ones would have various improvements in the kinds of information they give.