Lt. Commander
# 1 Touch Screen compatibility
07-18-2011, 10:18 AM
One thing I would love to see is better touch screen compatibility. I have a touch screen monitor I use, just not in STO because STO is sluggish when it comes to touch screen input. I have tried different things to see if anything would help with the sluggishness and to see if I could get 1-touch to work but alas nothing seems to change. I have tested my touchscreen with other games and programs and the reaction rate and the ability to 1-touch a button changes with each program. Some it works perfectly, others.... not so much. This tells me it is a compatibility issue of sorts.

Is there any way that this could be implemented? Like in the options menu or controls. Something we can set up and change.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-20-2011, 10:07 PM
I've been playing with this myself. I too have to double tap to activate powers. I'm thinking of writing a program to take touchscreen input and apply a double click event to it to work around this. I just have to figure out how to trigger that mouse event and I want to ensure there is no existing setting for this before I spend the time to write a custom solution.

I specifically got a new touchscreen xps laptop from Dell for this, but the double tapping powers killed it for me.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-22-2011, 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketch5430 View Post
I've been playing with this myself. I too have to double tap to activate powers. I'm thinking of writing a program to take touchscreen input and apply a double click event to it to work around this. I just have to figure out how to trigger that mouse event and I want to ensure there is no existing setting for this before I spend the time to write a custom solution.

I specifically got a new touchscreen xps laptop from Dell for this, but the double tapping powers killed it for me.
I don't have a touch-screen myself but I may be able to help with your workaround - What are you coding in?

I've got a VB.Net 3.5 dll which does Win32API calls to hook the keyboard and intercept/simulate keystrokes - You could quite easily convert it to handle mouse/touchscreen input.

I think I've also got the equivalent kicking around in an old C++ Dll but I've got no idea if it's compatible with anything after WinXP (Last time I touched it).

Anyway, if you'd like the code, let me know
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-23-2011, 12:47 PM
For me its not a really a double tap that is happening here with mine. if i touch and hold for 1 second it will activate most buttons. On dialog I have to touch hold(1 second), slide just slightly then let go and it activates the options. It wouldn't take much to get this to work. Since my touch screen is a separate device independent of my mouse and keyboard. An option in STO that would recognize and fix these issues, and maybe some customizable options, would do wonders. I could even position my touch screen at a slight angle like the consoles in Star trek. Using a dual screen setup I could put an Lcars on the touch screen. That would be most immersive.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-23-2011, 02:37 PM
I'm working c#.net. I can probably use that VB.dll for reference at least. Would you mind emailing me?

Also, there is a solution if you're working with two monitors. The STOAdvanced YHTK program does put a touch screen LCARS display on one monitor, but i've found setting it up to be very difficult.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-25-2011, 02:55 PM
too bad their domain name is no longer valid...
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-26-2011, 04:07 AM
Ok, so in case anyone wants/needs this... PM me with an email address and I'll email it (and to save us all time, if this post is more than 6 months old, don't bother )

Code is a fully functional .Net4/VS2010 Solution with 3 assemblies - 1 defines an interface, 1 haas the code itself and the third is a simple console app test harness.

Needless to say, you can easily strip out the important bits if you prefer a different architecture
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-26-2011, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketch5430 View Post

I have been working on a program since the game was lanuched that allows for a PADD. It works but the response time have issues, I am trying to resolve that as well.

(The PADD is a small 15in touch screen)
Lt. Commander
# 9 touch screen
07-26-2011, 03:41 PM
i have a touch screen too. i tried the program that uses a new window that i think is some what the same for the ipad, but i didnt seem to get into it. what i do is used a game pad like the belkin n52te and my touch screen. like that i feel like i am seeing more what imagine the tactical console is seeing. doing it the other way is frustrating to me unless i have my touchscreen (main screen) laying down on the desk and the secondary screen suspended. but if i do that then all the other things i do with my computer (other games and typing in general) will be come more difficult. i would prefer to move the camera and tap once to fire my weapons and generally interact with the game a little more easily. honestly i thought i was the only one with this issue.